UFC Vegas: Poirier vs Hooker - Jun 27 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
On 6/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t know whether him moving up is him genuinely thinking he’ll do well at the weight or he just swapped training camps for chippy teas and can’t make the cut anymore.

Yep.

• Paid Members

This is going to sound like - potentially - the most superficial thing I've ever said, and I apologise for this, but I really don't like Hooker, because he's not charismatic or attractive enough to warrant that carry on out of him. 

I've never really been Poiriers biggest fan either, but I really hope he rises to the occasion and puts the brakes on Hookers' run.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
On 6/24/2020 at 5:28 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Tell me this isn’t a face that needs a smack...

84C7EC65-26A8-4EAF-AD6C-E3EF5A789F7D.jpeg

Hooker addressed this on Submission Radio, he said he has no idea how they've got that image of him😄

• Paid Members

I’ve just accidentally voted Gall by KO in the poll 😂

Of course, if Gall actually does somehow score a knockout I’ll be on here tomorrow claiming I knew all along.

Oh and go on Dustin.

I'm totally living in the moment but that is one of the best fights I've ever seen. Round 2 is probably the best round in history.

Both guys were absolute beasts but how Dustin Poirier managed to stay up, I will never know.

• Paid Members

Very impressive from both fighters. One of those fights that helps solidify my notion that I'm a soft shite; a brown belt only if somehow my arsehole sputtered that much, during a scrap, it went everywhere.

I'm amazed both saw the decision because they looked absolutely knackered in the 3rd.

Fair play to Perry too. He was getting some right pelters this week but I thought he comfortably handled Gall.

• Moderators

Main event was amazing. Really shocked it went the distance seeing how fucked they seemed to be in the 2nd and 3rd, but shows their toughness. I was struggling to score the fight myself, had Poirier with the nod but I'm also partial to him over Hooker so assumed it was bias.

Other fights seemed decent. Gall I just find constantly disappointing in his performances. Weird tap out by Villante, he looked knackered but not that knackered to have topped to an arm triangle from bottom.

• Paid Members

It might be because it’s still so fresh but I think Poirier vs Hooker might just have knocked Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk off the FOTY top spot for me. Incredible fight. Like Neil I completely lost track of the scoring by the middle rounds but by the end I felt like Poirier had just done enough. No doubt I’ll be rewatching it in the week sometime though, it was that good, so I’ll see if I have it any differently. Amazing. It’s crazy to think of the wars Poirier’s been in over the last few years though. These are his last 8 fights...

Jun 2020 - 5 round FOTY contender war with Dan Hooker.

Sep 2019 - Gruelling battle with Khabib.

Apr 2019 - 5 round FOTY contender war with Max Holloway.

Jul 2018 - FOTN war with Eddie Alvarez.

Apr 2018 - FOTY contender war with Justin Gaethje.

Nov 2017 - FOTN war with Anthony Pettis.

May 2017 - another war with Eddie Alvarez.

Feb 2017 - FOTN with Jim Miller.

I mean fucking hell! 

Then you factor in that he suffered a brutal one punch knockout from Michael Johnson just before this run. The McGregor knockout a couple of years before that. The FOTY thriller with Korean Zombie a couple of years before that. Christ. He’s only 31 but the damage he’s taken over the years is insane. At this point he’s got to be on anyone’s shortlist of top most exciting fighters in MMA history.

Not sure what’ll be next after that. Hopefully a nice long break. You can’t be doing this back-to-back all the time. You’d hope he’ll take at least 6 months after a fight like this. As for opponents, I’m thinking maybe Tony Ferguson. But that seems cruel after I’ve just listed Poirier’s mental schedule over the last 3 years. Throwing him with Mad Tony, which would surely be another batshit FOTY slobberknocker, just seems evil at this stage. But what else jumps out? We’ve got Khabib vs Gaethje to get through. McGregor will no doubt be sniffing around (no pun intended) after that, because he’s not really retired. Poirier vs Ferguson is logical. And it’s as close to a guaranteed barnburner as you can get in MMA. They’d have to be nuts not to be thinking that way. But hopefully after a break for both men. Maybe December/January time at the earliest. Failing that, Poirier vs Charles Oliveira wouldn’t offend me.

Rest of the card was pretty good again. Allen vs Daukaus and Worthy vs Pena were the highlights for me. Either would’ve taken FOTN on almost any other card. Tanner Boser and his mullet powered KO was fun too. As was the Kay Hansen armbar/triangle combo on Jinh Yu Frey. Great debut from her and at 20 years old she could be a great addition to the Strawweight division.

Perry vs Gall was alright. I’m with Neil on Gall though. He seemed a legitimate prospect early on but I think we all probably got carried away and forgot that he only beat Sage Northcutt and CM bastard Punk. He’s not terrible but he’s looked very underwhelming for a long time now. The good will from his first couple of UFC fights ran out with me a while back. He’s just not that good. He made old Diego Sanchez look like prime Khabib last year, for fuck’s sake. Perry will get bashed again as soon as he fights someone above the DWCS level. 

Edited by wandshogun09