Best ring shape

kamicazze

brethart.jpg

Bret never immediately springs to mind for threads like these, but Hitman all the way. More musclebound in 96/97 and a bit too chunky in WCW, I think, but essentially he was eerily consistent for the vast majority of his run, and that was a brilliant consistent. Not too small, not too big and the right balance of flashy and strong. I've said it before, but he was one of those guys my pro wrestling hating dad would come in the room and admit "He'd knock the shit out of you, alright".

He just looked...I don't know...intelligent. There's a flat out poetry and coolness to his entrance and movement that was action figure ready. Always looked the man, did Hitman. 

Adam Cole bugs me because he could bulk up and add meat to him frame, he's got the pc trainers and fitness guys to help him gain a bit of size, decent sized guys in most gyms look bigger/better than him.

If you can't be big be defined, guys like Ciampa, Gargano, etc don't have to be big to look good.

Nowadays I don't think its important to "look tough" as it did in the 80s

Just now, tiger_rick said:

Bret looked incredible in mid 1997. That was a peak time for Shawn, Austin and Taker too for me. Bulldog and Owen too. Shamrock looked great then. Everyone did bar Vader, the big fat piece of shit!

That's the period I'm watching back now, and you'd forget what a tank he is. I think you see it more in 97 because heel Hart pulls the straps down about 600% more. 

I also find him really fresh to watch because WWE have not tore the arse out of Mt. Rushmoreing him nearly as much as they've done with their official Best Ever club. History is getting kinder to Bret, but in a quiet, reserved sort of way. He's an odd legend. Michael's 'won' at WWE, has all the gimmick matches etc but Bret still comes off better most of the time, and it's immensely satisfying. 

14 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

If you look at many on the AEW roster they look like they could bee beaten by the average fan.. Cassidy. Bucks. All look like imitations of wrestlers. Thank god for Cage, Omega et al. 

I mean Omega has a good physique but he hardly looks like the kind of guy who would fare well in a real fight either in fairness...

Kenny Omega | Ramblings About Wrestling

• Paid Members

Edge has aged well in the same way Piper did. With a bit more grey in their beard and a bit more wear around the face, they look like hard men, whereas in their primes they both looked kind of doughy and unthreatening by wrestling standards.

• Paid Members

Also, Scott Hall throughout most of his career looked great. Athletic with a little bulk but not too much, good definition, and all of it looked like it belonged on his long frame.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Edge has aged well in the same way Piper did. With a bit more grey in their beard and a bit more wear around the face, they look like hard men, whereas in their primes they both looked kind of doughy and unthreatening by wrestling standards.

That's a great comparison. Piper at the early Wrestlemanias looked solid but just kind of thick. His best look was in the early 90s, around the Bret feud, when he'd leaned out, let his blond hair grow out and had a lovely tan. Not only did it suit his wild scrapper style, but I think he was much more photogenic and probably had a fair few ladies' eyes. I can't find it, but in the thumbnail for most vids of him becoming IC champ, he's a proper handsome bastard.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

but I think his post-quad surgery leaner look was fantastic

Hang on, his post-quad surgery leaner look? Motherfucker came back looking like the second coming of Arnie!!! He was bigger than ever at that point.

48 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

That's a great comparison. Piper at the early Wrestlemanias looked solid but just kind of thick. His best look was in the early 90s, around the Bret feud, when he'd leaned out, let his blond hair grow out and had a lovely tan. Not only did it suit his wild scrapper style, but I think he was much more photogenic and probably had a fair few ladies' eyes. I can't find it, but in the thumbnail for most vids of him becoming IC champ, he's a proper handsome bastard.

Piper in 92 looked brilliant. Blow dried hair, beaming grin, "YAH!" loved that WM8 promo 

17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Hang on, his post-quad surgery leaner look? Motherfucker came back looking like the second coming of Arnie!!! He was bigger than ever at that point.

Thought the same, but guessing he might mean the second quad comeback against Booker at Summerslam 2007? First PPV post Benoit tragedy so you'd be forgiven for not remembering it. 

5288598.jpg

Not sure is he a bell to bell patch on 2000 Trips, but until I googled it I didn't appreciate what a lean freak he was on this return. Still has that WrestleMania X8 look of the safety pins waiting to burst, though.