Backlash

Briefcase

So WWE Backlash is on tonight and despite the greatest match ever taking place, I couldn't find a thread for the show, so here it is.

The card is as follows.

Edge vs. Randy Orton – Singles Match

WWE Champion Drew McIntyre vs. Bobby Lashley

WWE Universal Champion Braun Strowman vs. The Miz & John Morrison – Handicap Match

WWE RAW Women’s Champion Asuka vs. Nia Jax

Jeff Hardy vs. Sheamus – Singles Match

WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions Bayley & Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross vs. The IIconics – Title Triple Threat Match

WWE United States Champion Apollo Crews vs. Andrade

Nothing overly exciting and unless Vince completely re-writes the script (Heyman no longer on creative) I can't see too many surprises...

Pre Show starts at 11pm. 

Main Show starts at Midnight. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members

I re-subscribed to the network for the recent NXT after leaving it for a while. I’ll be staying up for this. It’ll be the first PPV I’ll have watched live since Rumble, and the first Raw/SD based show I’ll have watched since Mania. I have no idea of the general storylines heading in to this, so I’m hoping it’ll be fun for the random factor alone. 

• Paid Members

The Vikings / Profits ‘match’ was a lot of overly cheesy, daft and downright stupid......fun. I enjoyed that for what it was. Granted, it wasn’t on the Stadium Stampede levels, but those two teams just work together. Not sure what he Tozawa bit was all about and went a little too Kaientai for 2020, but the rest was bags of fun. 

Watched the Viking Raider and Street Profits - would have liked an ending and victor yet it was fun. leave your brain at the door fun and that is sometimes all that is needed. 

Edge vs Orton was entertaining, MOTY contender. Orton can really go when he wants to and its a shame he isn't given the opponents or feuds that motivate him to put out matches like this. Nice to see the return of the punt. 

• Paid Members

How on earth did they go for Viking Profits not Street Raiders? 

It took me hours to work out what the backing of Miz n Morrison's great new song was ripped off from, it's Right now by Van Halen, sounds identical.

Really liked the beginning of the Lashley drew match, grabbed my attention immediately. 

The Viking Profits stuff should be atrocious any way you look at it but I can't help but enjoy it. Is it any more stupid then your average Tuesday Night Titans? That's fun as well. Ivor and Montez Ford are all-in and have enough charisma to let you switch off and enjoy it for what it is, if you can forgive the racist stereotypes and whatnot. More Akira Tozawa please!

Poor Asuka. Imagine having all that talent in your locker and persisting with a useless shithead like Nia Jaxx. 

Start of the world title match was fire. It's a shame everything in this company needs bells and whistles and silly bollocks attached to it. Drew vs Lashley in a straight up clash of beasts is something I can get behind.

I haven't been bothered about their feud so far but something about the presentation of the Hardy/Sheamus match left a sour taste. Is it wise at this point to send the Hardy character plummeting into further depths? 

14 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Start of the world title match was fire. It's a shame everything in this company needs bells and whistles and silly bollocks attached to it. Drew vs Lashley in a straight up clash of beasts is something I can get behind.

I haven't seen much WWE aside from the PPV's (so forgive me if I am naive) but Lashley with MVP in his corner and his full nelson lock looked a serious threat. Why didn't they book Lashley like this from the start and why ruin it with the Lana thing? 

I wouldn't mind seeing Lashley go on a run and just putting the full nelson lock on everyone even if it means matches lasting no longer than 30 seconds. 

I hated that Street Profits/Viking Raiders shite but then again I seem to be the only one who doesn't like the Profits so wasn't expecting anything. That main event was great though shame about the Edge injury as it looks like it'll rule him out the rest of the year, he's had no luck with this comeback

• Paid Members

My problem with the Profits/Raiders match is that it was set up by Tom Phillips saying something like, "I'm receiving word that our cameras have caught up with something going on backstage". It was presented as something that was happening live, that the cameras happened to catch going on - yet it had multiple camera angles, extreme close-ups, background music, and flashbacks

You can excuse some of that stuff when it's a scheduled cinematic match - there'd have been a lot of cameras in the WWE building for the Money In The Bank match, so you can account for there being one around every corner to catch everything going on. If it had all been filmed a few days earlier, you can accept that they might have stuck on some background music in the editing suite, even cut in some flashback footage.

But when it's meant to be a fight that's going on live, can we have a little internal logic, please?