My Best Film: The Coen Brothers

Devon Malcolm

The High Hat  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I always found that the ending of No Country for Old Men seemingly falls off a cliff. I personally love the ending, and the exclamation mark of a conclusion is fantastic. 

I know many muckers that were put off by it.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

The Big Lebowski has rewarded enough rewatchings for me that it's probably my shout. Some of the unexpectedly funny moments are amazing - the ashtray throw, the pencil tracing... but one of my favourite things is the recent realisation that the Dude has no original thoughts. Pretty much everything he says (or dreams) is copied from something in the film. I'd picked up on the obvious stuff, but not how just about everything is. So a comedy that can make me laugh for different reasons on different rewatches? That's a rarity.

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

I always found that the ending of No Country for Old Men seemingly falls off a cliff. I personally love the ending, and the exclamation mark of a conclusion is fantastic. 

I know many muckers that were put off by it.

I didn’t like the ending when I saw it, but a few years later I read the book, which has a very similar ending, and thought “oh... I get it now”. Saw the film again and now I understand it, I really like it!

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

This should’ve been a thread called “The Big Lebowski is the best film ever made” and all posts should simple read “Yes, it is.

No because it's Miller's Crossing. But fair play to The Big Lebowski as this forum did vote it its favourite film in a rare show of overall good taste from UKFF. I'd never run said poll again though as we've had 7000 Marvel films since then and all the good work would be undone.

Not surprised to see Blood Simple get no votes as it's definitely one of their most under-appreciated films, but it is fantastic and possibly M. Emmet Walsh's best ever role. I know there's a few round here who have been talking about neo-noir films recently, and they don't come much better.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Even the people that love the superhero films wouldn't actually put any of them near the top of their best films ever lists, would they? Not on here at least. Maybe I'm giving this forum too much credit? 

You are.

I would say Fargo as it strikes me as the perfect Coen Brother's 'tone' film. I think everything came together with Fargo that they were building towards. (And yes spawned an incredible TV series)

Millers Crossing is a close second as it is just stunning.