My Best Film: The Coen Brothers

Devon Malcolm

The High Hat  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Following on from the DVD thread discussion.

I know there's a few missing but it's my poll so I get to choose. And if you're picking The Ladykillers anyway then you don't deserve to vote.

Anyway, it's Miller's Crossing, which is also scientifically the greatest film of all time.

Jon Polito is the greatest:-

"Well I think you're half smart...."

"Jesus, Tom!"

Oh and the greatest scene in film history.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'll go with Fargo, a brilliant film in every way. I know they're not really involved but it also spawned one of my favourite TV shows of all time too.

Inside Llewyn Davis is incredible too, with a soundtrack that gets repeated often around my gaff.

I could never understand the hype with Big Lebowski at first, but the more I watch it the higher it gets in the rankings.

They're fucking great, the Coens.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I could never understand the hype with Big Lebowski at first, but the more I watch it the higher it gets in the rankings.

This mirrors my experience with it. When I first watched it I didn't like it at all. Second viewing, I enjoyed it but didn't love it. Think I'm on five viewings of it now and it's a top 100 favourite of mine, at least.

Saw some of this in the Film Thread. Like others, dropped out around the time of Intolerable Cruelty. Watched Burn After Reading and thought 'meh' and havent really been enthused since to be honest.

Millers is spectacular  Toss up between Lebowski and O Brother, Where Art Thou? for second place

Never really got on with Hudsucker Proxy at the time of watching and may revisit at some point. What is their newer stuff like?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Saw some of this in the Film Thread. Like others, dropped out around the time of Intolerable Cruelty. Watched Burn After Reading and thought 'meh' and havent really been enthused since to be honest.

Millers is spectacular  Toss up between Lebowski and O Brother, Where Art Thou? for second place

Never really got on with Hudsucker Proxy at the time of watching and may revisit at some point. What is their newer stuff like?

• Paid Members

I could watch Hail Caesar all day, all week. Love that film, it's a joy. 

I have to go Big Lebowski. It the first one of their movies I loved and I never get tired of it. Miller's Crossing is up there, as is The Hudsucker Proxy. The only one of their output that people seem to love that I'm not bothered by is Raising Arizona. It's alright. 

A Serious Man I gave up on after about 20 minutes, I thought it was their worst film.

The answer here is Miller's Crossing of course, but The Big Leboswki is one of the best comedies ever made so that runs a very close second.

• Paid Members

I'm going to have to watch Millers Crossing again. I only saw it once and really wasn't impressed. I'm sure I'm in the wrong but it felt so bellow average first time around I never gave it another chance. But you folk have worn me down over the years and I'm ready to give it another shot. 

For my money Big Lebowski is one of the most rewarding comedies ever made. It literally gets better after every watch.

• Paid Members

It's between Fargo and Miller's Crossing but I give the edge slightly to Fargo, purely down to how often I've watched the bloody thing. No Country For Old Men, True Grit and Inside Llewyn Davis are in the tier just below that - all great films of course.

Sadly, I've never taken to Big Lebowski. Initially I thought it was mainly due to how heavily some people hyped it, but every few years I dip in again and it never seems to resonate with me.

• Paid Members

Miller's Crossing without any hesitation. It's practically perfect, and as mentioned the Danny Boy Tommy Gun scene is fucking amazing.

O Brother is such a great premise on Homer's Odyssey. And that version of Hard Time Killing Floor Blues send chills everytime I hear it.

Favourite is Big Lebowski, but Miller’s Crossing is the better film.

Always enjoyed Big Lebowski, but I’ve never understood the “following” that it has. It’s a good film, very good infact, but a weekend festival dedicated to it? Come on now.

As it was recently added to Netflix, I watched No Country For Old Men for the first in what must be at least 10 years. Still really enjoyed it. The mentions of Fargo have got me looking to watch that again as it’s also been a number of years since I’ve seen it

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

No Country For Old Men is really really good. I feel like it gets a bit forgotten.