Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chris B

Comedy and offense

Recommended Posts

I know I'm taking away the wrong lesson from this but to me it's an annoying reminder of the fact that we don't own any of the content we pay for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

 or raping them while pretending to be someone else (Revenge of the Nerds).

This was used in The Boat that Rocked, which came out in 2009! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gmoney said:

This was used in The Boat that Rocked, which came out in 2009! 

But it was Richard Curtis so it was deemed charmingly twee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

There were ones where guys would dress up as nurses to grope women

Sounds like something JK Rowling would say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Sounds like something JK Rowling would say.

What did Glinner say when his wife’s new boyfriend dropped the kids off for the weekend? 
Thanks, another man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I know I'm taking away the wrong lesson from this but to me it's an annoying reminder of the fact that we don't own any of the content we pay for.

Do Spotify/Netflix users genuinely think they own anything? It's quite transparent from the outset, surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Still up on mine. 

The episode 'Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth' in Series 6 where the lads talk about different blackface characters throughout film history, big lips etc and where they make Lethal Weapon 5 is gone from mine. 'The Gang Make Lethal Weapon 6' is still up though, strangely enough as it features Mac, Dennis and Dee in blackface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Do Spotify/Netflix users genuinely think they own anything? It's quite transparent from the outset, surely?

I think it's easy to forget. People are probably more aware of it with Netflix as they frequently lose stuff they had and gain new stuff. But with Spotify I think people do assume that anything that is on there will be on there forever and it is all their own big music collection.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think going down the road of taking these kinds of things down is quite a dangerous one and sets a precedent for all kinds of censorship. Obviously I don't want to live in a world where hatred and prejudice is spewed out but surely context needs to be taken into account. And where is the line drawn? What about music? There are countless songs I've heard in my life that have questionable lyrics relating to homophobia, advocating drugs, violence, misogyny, etc. I think whilst the intention is honourable with censorship and pulling things, we have to be careful not to get to swept up in the things as all it does is strengthen the argument of the 'PC Gone Mad' brigade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DCW said:

The episode 'Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth' in Series 6 where the lads talk about different blackface characters throughout film history, big lips etc and where they make Lethal Weapon 5 is gone from mine. 'The Gang Make Lethal Weapon 6' is still up though, strangely enough as it features Mac, Dennis and Dee in blackface.

A programme where one of the main characters is a rapist/potential serial killer is fine but as soon as they get the boot polish out it's unacceptable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With films and series being removed, edited and in some cases butchered, it certainly is fair argument for buying actual media of your favourite films and series. Even if you buy a copy of a film from Apple etc. and just keep it on the cloud or whatever, it is possible that it could be editied or even replaced with a different cut entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I think going down the road of taking these kinds of things down is quite a dangerous one and sets a precedent for all kinds of censorship. Obviously I don't want to live in a world where hatred and prejudice is spewed out but surely context needs to be taken into account. And where is the line drawn? What about music? There are countless songs I've heard in my life that have questionable lyrics relating to homophobia, advocating drugs, violence, misogyny, etc. I think whilst the intention is honourable with censorship and pulling things, we have to be careful not to get to swept up in the things as all it does is strengthen the argument of the 'PC Gone Mad' brigade.

Good point and there is a fair few rap songs that has the 'N' word mentiond, in some cases frequently. Will they be removed from Spotify and iTunes etc.

If I don't like something, disagree or are offended with something, I don't watch it or pay any attention to it. I don't go all in and demand it to be banned, removed etc.  

Just another form of dictatorship as far as I am concerned or at the very least kowtowing to the offended by everything/everyone society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not fucking dictatorship. These are commercial decisions made by corporations. Heavy handed unnecessary knee jerk reactions in some cases, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...