I want to take a chonological trip through wrestling history. What should I watch?

Stealingsilver

My favourite trip down memory lane on the Network is always 96-98.

Mainly the emergence and growth of Stone Cold and The Rock but the supporting cast and story telling at the time was so special. It will never be replicated or bettered.

22 hours ago, Winston said:

My favourite trip down memory lane on the Network is always 96-98.

Mainly the emergence and growth of Stone Cold and The Rock but the supporting cast and story telling at the time was so special. It will never be replicated or bettered.

Same here. The emergent chaos of Raw, to me, is still the easiest stuff to watch back. Warts and all. 2000 is great for the big shows, but they had the formula for the TV so well nailed by then that it's not nearly as entertaining to watch back. Raw's already getting pretty great from about the fall of 96 on. Really as soon as they start trying anything at all to take the focus back from Nitro. Plenty of Aldo Montoya and Flash Funk, but interspersed with some of the earlier attempts at doing something a bit adult. I started from about Mind Games on last year and ended up going all the way to about the same point in 98. 

My favourite chronological bit of wrestling storytelling ever starts then, which I'd recommend to the OP. Austin losing the title at Breakdown 98 and all the various ups, downs, twists and screwjobs that get him to WrestleMania XV. You can watch the Raws in between but you get major storyline arc development from each of those PPVs from September 98 - March 99. They're not perfect shows filled with loads of great wrestling, but these are the memorable draws of the day, not some boring Takeovers you can't tell apart. 

Been enjoying 2002 a lot lately, as well. Raw starts to stink like a gradually decaying corpse more and more as the year goes on, but it's such a weird year. Loads changes, they try everything on for size. It's rarely dull and most of the PPVs are fantastic. 

WCW I always struggle with. With Nitro you're either oversaturated in the nWo or out the other side into the dog end of things which is fun for a bit but never anything you're going to follow chronologically for reasons of sanity. Most of their PPVs are complete shit, and they didn't really bother with backstage vignettes or promo packages until Russo came in, so you're not going to get much colour, context or storyline backfill like you would with WWE shows. Pre Nitro era is far superior. 

I can have the Network on in the background when I work, so I'm overexposed to all the big stuff so much that it's Christmas when they upload a new batch of Heat or WCW Saturday Night or something like that. Then I'll go chronological on that, because it's less discussed stuff I've never seen before.

• Paid Members
On 6/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, Stealingsilver said:

I'm trying to find a Podcast to go along with these. Currently I'm listening to Review a Wai and the Retro Wrestling Podcast. Would love any more suggestions of podcast 

The Lapsed Fan.

Thanks everyone for the podcast suggestions below are what I have been listening to. It's a shame the majority of them don't have a chronological order of the events that they are covering. It means that you have to manually search through the feed.

SCG Radio is good It's a shame their podcast feed only has the last 100 episodes

The Lapsed Fan: is good but long

Retro Wrestling Podcast: Really good production and storytelling. It is probably my favourite at the moment however they can be a little long

Review a Wai. I've always enjoyed the chemistry between John and Wai. Unfortunately Wai is no where near as knowledgeable as John. They also tend to have a lot of preamble which can be dated if the podcast was recorded a few years ago.