I want to take a chonological trip through wrestling history. What should I watch?

Stealingsilver

I've started off with the Wrestlemanias and early WWF PPVs. I was planning on adding the WCW and ECW PPVs when I get to that date.

However what I also enjoy about wrestling are the feuds. Just watching the PPVs would mean I would miss out a lot of the feuds however I do not have time or energy. to watch all of the weeklies. It would get crazy when it reaches the monday night wars!

I'm open to any suggestions. Obviously I am doing this for fun and as an historian so I do not mind missing out large chucks if they are boring.I also really enjoy podcasts so if anyone can reccommend any to me that would be great.

Thanks in advance

That's a big question and i'm sure others will have differing opinions on what to watch or how to go about it. 

For WWF/WWE i'd say the Youtube channel "Wrestling with Paul" is a great way to get through all the important angles and matches from the mid 80's up to about 1994 and then you can get hold of the PPV's and SNME etc on the network to support them. From then on it's probably just watching all the TV shows on the network too.

ECW I think most are on the network in some form however WCW pre nitro is mostly just the PPV's and the clashes. As for Japanese stuff you'll have to find another source I guess.

If I was going to do what you are I would probably pick a month and watch through TV up to the PPV or big show if there is one in each promotion and year i'm interested in before moving onto another month. Might still take you years to accomplish this though. 

I've tried this a number of times before:

WWF from Jan 1984 starting with MSG event with Hogan vs Shiek and watching all TNT episodes. Got bored after about 7 episodes.

WWF from Jan 1987 watching all the Prime Times. Got bored around WM4.

WWF from April 1992 watching superstars. Only Seen Mooney's Podcast has sustained me. 

WCW from first Nitro. Got bored during first PPV.

WWF from start of attitude era in Dec '97. This one kept me interested for a while, till around June '98. But I never watched the attitude era before.

• Paid Members

i get a weird urge to wanna do wrestling in chronilogical order, ive tried to do Nitro from the start, ive tried to do the NWO angle Nitros from the start, the Attitude Era from the start. I never stick to any of it, its easier to just dip in and out at random points.

38 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i get a weird urge to wanna do wrestling in chronilogical order, ive tried to do Nitro from the start, ive tried to do the NWO angle Nitros from the start, the Attitude Era from the start. I never stick to any of it, its easier to just dip in and out at random points.

Yeah I watched nitro from September 95 till December 95 and tried watching wcw from 98  I used to buy the wcw ppv vhs tapes back then ..wcw was shockingly bad in 98 just way to much nwo and Hogan 

Edited by kidzero

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, kidzero said:

Yeah I watched nitro from September 95 till December 95 and tried watching wcw from 98  I used to buy the wcw ppv vhs tapes back then ..wcw was shockingly bad in 98 just way to much nwo and Hogan 

Last year I watched the bulk of Nitro and Raw through 96-98 and was surprised for just how little of it I preferred Nitro. Maybe 2 months. 

51 minutes ago, ElCece said:

Last year I watched the bulk of Nitro and Raw through 96-98 and was surprised for just how little of it I preferred Nitro. Maybe 2 months. 

Yeah me and my brother's would buy the wcw ppvs on VHS  and watch then and I enjoyed them at the time but but I think wcw 99 was better than wcw 98 ...but overall I guess I'm a wwf fanboy

Thanks everyone.

So I have decided to watch just the WWF PPVs until the 90s start. I was a big fan of the Hart/Yokozuna Feud in 1993 when I was very small so I may start watching the 4 raws that happen before each pay per view when I get to 1993. 

I'm currently on halfway through Wrestlemania 3. Pretty disappointed if this was the modern era and I had stumped up money for the quality of Wrestling so far. I'm trying to find a Podcast to go along with these. Currently I'm listening to Review a Wai and the Retro Wrestling Podcast. Would love any more suggestions of podcast