UFC 250: Nunes vs Spencer - Jun 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Maybe she’s just not feeling it at the moment. I totally get what you guys are saying in that title defences against the likes of Anderson, Pena etc would be easy money. But maybe she just feels she needs a break or she’s not got the same drive anymore. She’s gone the distance with De Randamie and Spencer in her last 2 fights. Now I said at the time that they were both tougher than many were giving them credit for so I’m not necessarily saying it’s evidence of Nunes declining. But you never know what’s going on behind the scenes. Could be a number of reasons. If it is that her desire is slipping and she’s recognised that, good for her. It’s easy for us to say ‘fight on a few more years’ but maybe she’s feeling like she’s not firing on all cylinders or she just wants to step away. If she fights on with that mindset, purely for the money, there’s a chance one of these schmucks catches her slipping and she loses one she shouldn’t have. Like if GSP had carried on after that Hendricks fight and not taken a break, who knows what would’ve happened in his next few fights. He was seriously frazzled mentally back then and seemed to spend fight weeks miserable and counting the seconds until it was over. Contrast that with how refreshed he seemed when he came back to fight Bisping, it’s night and day, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy the whole process of the build up, fight week, media etc. Maybe Nunes is in a similar position.

We’re all just guessing really. But if she’s disinterested and/or burnt out then it’s probably wise to take a break if she’s in a position to. I’d say her and Nina Ansaroff having a baby on the way is likely a major factor in this as well. No doubt she wants to be around for all that early days stuff. Who knows, maybe all those sleepless nights and shitty nappies will make her rethink this sabbatical and she’ll come back even more terrifying. Speaking from experience, I reckon my missus could’ve beat Eye and Calvillo at the same time the other night after the kids took it on turns waking us both up every half an hour. I didn’t dare look her in the eye incase she set about me on the landing. Give it a year at most and I think Nunes will probably be dying to get back in camp.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I heard on John Morgans podcast prior to 250 that Nunes had already spoken about being financially secure and how she'd put away money to pay her kids tuition fee's and all that stuff. Maybe she just wants to lead a comfortable, quiet life.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Does she get PPV points?

I really don't know. It's just if she does then she'll have made good money on a few fights. Silly business if she didn't negotiate champ points for the Rousey fight at the very least. We do know she's been making around 500k per fight from Cyborg onwards. Certainly should have enough to have a good break for a couple of years and comeback when she needs a pay day.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I could swear Dana mentioned Nunes having PPV points recently. When that kicked in though, I don’t know. Maybe it was recently. She almost certainly never got a piece of the PPV for UFC 200 because she was the challenger against Miesha Tate. Then the Rousey fight was only her first defence and I’m assuming Ronda was taking a nice chunk of change from the PPV for that one, so it’s probably quite likely they didn’t fancy cutting Nunes in on that action as well as Ronda. It’d be great if she did get some of that though. 

• Paid Members

You hope she had smart people around her that ensured she got a slice of that Rousey fight. Madness if she just got her show and win money for that ($200k), while Rousey got $3M just to turn up.

She got absolutely buggered if she didn't.

Regardless, $500k per fight for her last 4 bouts has obviously made her more financially secure.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

IDK, I assumed they can get them but I've read champs that don't draw are happy with getting a bump in guaranteed show money - David pointing to Mighty Mouse. Someone like Bisping, for example, was up front about wanting a big name for his title defence because being champ guarantees he gets PPV points.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

You hope she had smart people around her that ensured she got a slice of that Rousey fight. Madness if she just got her show and win money for that ($200k), while Rousey got $3M just to turn up.

She got absolutely buggered if she didn't.

Regardless, $500k per fight for her last 4 bouts has obviously made her more financially secure.

$2m is fairly amazing money for anyone to be earning in general, it's life-changing for most. Sure, for any of the big hitters in the fight game, it's nothing, but as long as you practice moderation, $2m should stand you in pretty damn good stead. And she must've earned a fair chunk for her previous UFC fights too.

As I say, as a fan, I'd like her to rack up a couple more wins, but would be perfectly happy to see her step away and win at life with a nice nest-egg, a wife and a kid. And she'll probably carry on earning as a coach too.

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

pretty sure all the Champions get PPV points.

Sadly, they don't. They should get PPV points for events they headline, of course, but they don't. I think they're basically given a bump in pay that amounts to between $350,000 to $450,000 for female champions and lighter weight male champions, and around the $500,000 mark for lightweight and above male champions. Very few fighters are given both a higher flat rate and PPV points, it would break the UFC's payment framework.

Could you imagine them paying someone like Nunes her $450,000 basic pay, plus an additional $1.5 million in PPV points? Not a fucking chance. Plus, if she were to be paid that for her fight on the Jones vs Gusty card the company would be shelling out somewhere in the region of $3 million for Jones as well?

• Paid Members

i thought they were because its been mentioned recently that Interim Champions also get them (when people were campaigning for Ngannou/Rozenstruick to be for an Interim Title).

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/1/18246976/dana-white-responds-to-eddie-alvarezs-sick-joke-interim-title-comments

Quotes from Dana there mentioning that Interim Champs get them. 

I'm only going on what the actual fighters are saying. 

Plus, the numbers wouldn't add up then. If the UFC were handing out PPV points to certain main event talents, plus to every champion and interim champion the cut of revenue that fighters get would be much higher than the percentages mentioned recently.

For every PPV that even does around 400,000 buys that features an interim champion on the basic champion-level base pay of around $500,000, they'd be pulling in around $1 million each.

I could be wrong, of course, but what I've read about champions being given a bump in basic, with certain champions getting PPV points sounds about right considering the reports of what the UFC are paying out.

We also have to throw into the mix that the UFC PPV model has changed since the ESPN deal came into play. It's not as easy as it was in the old days, with a subscription to ESPN+ required.

Are PPV points even worth what they were pre-ESPN deal? I'm not so sure anymore. 

• Paid Members

Out of interest David, do you have any articles (The Athletic, holla) pointing to this? As discussed, I've read that champions that don't draw negotiate for big show money as the points mean they'll only get enough for a pot noodle. Going by what fighters have said in the past (DC and Bisping coming to mind), I assumed all champs get the option of points - whether or not they take that or the guaranteed money is part of the negotiation.

Are PPV points even worth what they were pre-ESPN deal? I'm not so sure anymore.

No one knows for sure but the rumours are they do not. Apparently the reason Brock decided against the DC fight was he realised he'd not get the money he was after fighting on ESPN+ only.

Edited by ColinBollocks