UFC 250: Nunes vs Spencer - Jun 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
On 6/9/2020 at 9:06 AM, David said:

I recently listened to Luke Thomas talking about this event (I know, I know) and he's talking about Nunes potentially retiring (based on nothing but what he thinks) because she's cleaned out the division and that there's no one who can touch her.

well, well, well...

• Paid Members

Yeh, especially if she's got a kid on the way. Fair fucks to her. Glad for her if so. 

From a fan perspective, I'd have liked her ideally to stick around a bit longer, build up a bit more of her "legend", as the Japanese would say, but she's already done so much, I'm also happy to see her leave "winning against the house", so to speak. 

Thing is, I seriously doubt she's made anywhere near enough dough to see her through the rest of her life, let alone set up a child for their future.

Maybe she has investments and suchlike that will provide a return, but failing that I think she'll be back. 

• Paid Members

I thought that too, but maybe between her and Ansaroff they made a decent enough chunk from their fight money to have a decent life? Especially if they're living in Brazil, where the cost of living must be quite low. 

But yeh - she wasn't on Rousey money, which is why I said earlier in the thread I didn't think there'd be much incentive for her to retire yet. 

The problem she'll face is that if she takes a break, she'll be stripped of her titles, which means she's no longer guaranteed the champion paycheck. Sure, she will get a rematch instantly if and when she returns, but the division will move on without her.

And fans have short memories.

18 minutes ago, neil said:

I wouldn't be shocked if she retired until a solid competitor arrived and then they setup a big fight, kind of along the GSP lines.

It's a potential route I guess. Unfortunately for Nunes, there's a very low ceiling for the kind of money any fight will make in any of the female divisions. Outside of Rousey-type interest, she'd probably make the same, if not more cash beating on two chumps in a couple of title defences than she would in any comeback fight against a solid competitor.

I guess it depends on her personal circumstances. Maybe she'll be happy to take a break for a bit. 

• Paid Members

At the moment, looking at the rankings, the only fight that would genuinely appeal (and it wouldn't much at that) would be at 135 against Aspen Ladd. But Ladd's only just got back in the win column, and she's facing McMann next. Other than that, the only seemingly viable contenders right now are Anderson at FW, and Pena at BW. It's all a bit "meh" right now.

Thing is, regardless of who she's facing she's making the same coin. $350,000 to show, and $100,000 to win. Plus an extra $40,000 from the UFC Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay.

That's close to half a million dollars to face the next contender. She'd be insane not to keep battering her way through the likes of Ladd, Anderson and Pena, banking $450,000 minimum each time.

• Paid Members

Absolutely. She only needs a couple more defences at BW to be the longest-reigning women's champ the UFC's ever had. Probably won't beat Cyborg's win streak though.

Just now, Carbomb said:

Absolutely. She only needs a couple more defences at BW to be the longest-reigning women's champ the UFC's ever had. Probably won't beat Cyborg's win streak though.

That's just window dressing really though, isn't it? The main thing in this game is banking as much cash as possible, while taking the least damage possible. 

It's her call, of course, but if I was advising her I'd tell her to keep racking up the wins and banking the cash so she's in good shape to bow out in a few years.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

Thing is, I seriously doubt she's made anywhere near enough dough to see her through the rest of her life, let alone set up a child for their future.

Maybe she has investments and suchlike that will provide a return, but failing that I think she'll be back. 

I'm wondering how much she's made off PPV points. She was champion when she drew that huge number with Rousey. Nunes has also headlined UFC 200 and co-main evented a couple of Jon Jones cards - notably Jones v Gus 2, which apparently did around 700k. Whether or not it's enough to live off for the remainder of her life I doubt, but she's surely made some serious coin off at least two or three shows.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, David said:

That's just window dressing really though, isn't it? The main thing in this game is banking as much cash as possible, while taking the least damage possible. 

It's her call, of course, but if I was advising her I'd tell her to keep racking up the wins and banking the cash so she's in good shape to bow out in a few years.

Certainly, it's window dressing, but it could be a little something to add to UFC's promotional packages, to give her a better chance of earning a little more cash. It probably wouldn't mean much, but you never know.

But I agree - I reckon it'd be wise to keep it up for a few more years; she's only 32, so she's got a bit of time to spare, but it's not a long career.

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

I'm wondering how much she's made off PPV points.

Does she get PPV points? Not every champion gets those from what I've seen. Mighty Mouse didn't for a lot of his fights in the UFC, finally getting them when he faced Ray Borg at UFC 216 11 fights into his reign as champion.

I know Jones gets them, and so does McGregor. I can't see the UFC paying out two sets of PPV points on one event to both Nunes and Jones at UFC 232. 

That would see her take home close to half a million in base pay plus PPV points for the UFC 250 event? I can't see it man, no way she's making close to Jon Jones money.