UFC 250: Nunes vs Spencer - Jun 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

You know how it works in this game, Ebb. All it takes is that one punch with those small gloves and all of a sudden she's wobbling and staggering. Then we all lose our shit and a new legend is born.

It can happen at literally any time during a fight. That's the advantage of MMA over boxing really. it doesn't take a real KO-artist to make it work in MMA because of the gloves and the variations in movement etc.

granted, but in women's MMA where most competitors don't possess anything close that kind of one shot power the chances of anything like that happening are pretty unlikely.

Edited by Egg Shen

I would straight up do O'Malley vs Cody Garbrandt next after that. It could easily headline a minor event given recent standards or co-headline a PPV, potentially make a huge star out of O'Malley or put Cody back in the title hunt. It might be too for the Sugar Show, but with Cody's chin I think he'd have a decent chance if that match happened. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

granted, but in women's MMA where most competitors don't possess anything close that kind of one shot power the chances of anything like that happening are pretty unlikely.

Same was said when Holly Holm came into the Rousey fight on the back of two snoozefest decisions against bog-standard UFC opposition. I don't think anyone saw Rousey getting knocked silly the way she did, but it happened.

Same with Anderson Silva against Weidman.

My point isn't that it's likely to happen, but that those completely dismissing the competition as far as Nunes goes are ignoring the unpredictable nature of this sport. All it takes is one good shot on the temple to change shit up in a hurry. It doesn't take a power puncher to clip someone behind the ear and fuck up their equilibrium resulting in all sorts of chaos.

It happens.

• Paid Members

Again, granted but at this point im as close to dismissing it as I ever have been. Spenser was the consesus no. 2 145lb in the World (not counting Cyborg) and the fight was embarrasingly un-competitive.

The bloke who bet $1 million on Nunes did it with good reason. It was as close to free money as you'll ever get.

135lb holds a tiny bit more interest because there's more of a division there and a few names to throw in the mix but there's talk of whether or not Nunes ever makes that cut again. You'll end up with another situation where blown up 135lb'ers will challenge Nunes at 145lb and it'll be the Cyborg Strikeforce thing all over again.

• Paid Members

I reckon Nunes vs. Anderson will stylistically be an entertaining match-up, given that they're both strikers. Sure, Nunes smashed Cyborg, but as David says, the unpredictable nature of MMA means that said match is still worth a go.

• Paid Members

its probably the only fight worth entertaining at 145lb right now, considering Anderson was stopped by Spenser just last year in under a round though i'd give her a little chance of winning, i know that's MMA math talking and it's nonsence a lot of the time but if that fight comes around and i had a million bucks spare id feel confident laying it down on Nunes.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I’ve got a feeling Nunes would look to grapple more with Anderson as well. Nunes is no dummy. Not that she couldn’t beat Anderson on the feet, but Anderson isn’t much good on the ground so Nunes could make that fight very straight forward. Her lanky build could be awkward  for Nunes so the grappling would be the path of least resistance. Pretty much all Anderson’s losses have been through her lack of ground game. Spencer subbed her in a round, Cindy Dandois subbed her in the Invicta days. Even Holly Holm outwrestled her to a decision, and Holm never usually goes that route. I think Nunes would fight Anderson more like how she fought Germaine De Randamie, but I think she’d get the finish this time.

If Nunes did choose to strike it out, it could get interesting though.

Edited by wandshogun09

At the end of the day, she has to fight someone, doesn't she? I mean, it's all well & good saying she's cleaned the division out, there's no one left and all that, but girl has to make bank, y'all.

She ain't gonna be pulling in those bitcoins sitting on her couch. So, whoever the next challenger is, that's who she faces.

• Paid Members

I’m cool with her just bashing fuckers every few months. Just like I was when Mighty Mouse was outclassing challengers left and right for ages. Title switches are fun but there’s something about having one or two dominant champs that I love at the same time. And when they do inevitably lose, it feels like a bigger deal because they ruled for so long. Someone will end the Nunes reign if she hangs around long enough. Of course. Just like Jones, Khabib or whoever else. Keep fighting long enough and eventually someone will catch you slipping or on an off day.

Right now, I just don’t see anyone on the immediate horizon who stops Nunes. Cyborg is the only one of the current crop for me who I think, right now today, has a realistic chance. Not a freak, clip behind the ear thing that can happen to anyone. I’m talking a strong chance of beating her. Cyborg is the one. But Cyborg’s in Bellator. I’ve seen talk since Saturday of Dana being interested in signing Kayla Harrison. I think it’s too soon and I’m not even sure she can, or is even willing to, make 145. She’s fought at 155 so far. But what does anyone know? Maybe she could pull it off. I think the thing with 145 especially though, is the pool of talent is so shallow that there’s just less numbers of potential banana skins for Nunes to slip on. You could see in a division like 155, how even someone as awesome as Khabib could get caught because there are so many killers at Lightweight. Even at 205, it’s not the likely outcome but you could kind of envision say Jan Blachowicz clipping Jon Jones and capitalising for a huge upset. What’s the equivalent at women’s 145 though? I’m sorry but the probability of someone like Zarah Fairn or Norma Dumont upsetting Nunes is so ridiculously low, not impossible, but so fucking ridiculously low that you can’t blame people for getting carried away. There’s always a chance, but with the lack of depth there on Nunes radar, statistically she’s got a better shot at ruling for a long time than a lot of champions simply because there are less fish swimming in that pond. 

• Paid Members

of course, im not against her knocking off the next challenger, that's the game and the challengers are earning their shit, all im saying is that its a little deflating as a viewer/fan. Nunes is awesome, but i don't take much joy in seeing her beat fuck out of someone who just isnt in the same ball park in terms of attributes, that Spenser fight was cruel. The gulf in class between the top few % and the rest in womens MMA is massive.

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m cool with her just bashing fuckers every few months.

16 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

of course, im not against her knocking off the next challenger, that's the game and the challengers are earning their shit, all im saying is that its a little deflating as a viewer/fan. 

In the interest of clarity, I'm more arguing against the viewpoint of Luke "donk" Thomas, who suggested she may as well retire. He's a loonball, and seems to go out his way to miss the point of the sport entirely for some reason.

Remember when he was good? When he was funny, informative, and worth listening to?

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, David said:

In the interest of clarity, I'm more arguing against the viewpoint of Luke "donk" Thomas, who suggested she may as well retire. He's a loonball, and seems to go out his way to miss the point of the sport entirely for some reason.

Remember when he was good? When he was funny, informative, and worth listening to?

where did you hear him say that? i know he has several platforms but thats not what he says here?

6 mins in you want: