UFC 250: Nunes vs Spencer - Jun 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Supremo said:

First full show I’ve watched in forever. Really enjoyable. Daniel Cormier is the most likeable commentator on the planet. An absolute joy listening to him having such a good time. 

My biggest takeaway was how improved the post-fight interviews were with the new format. 

DC, Rogan and Anik are fast becoming my favorite announce team in MMA ever, they clearly have a lot of fun calling the fights together. Ive always liked DC in general but his announcing and his podcast with Helwani during the pandemic has cemented him as my favorite personality in MMA, what a guy.

I also love the new interview format. The in-ring style has captured gold but 95% of the time its nonsence, you get a lot more out of the guys when its done the new way.

• Paid Members

This was a really fun show, all in all. Bantamweight really flourished, and moved a lot of the pieces around in the process. I like when they do this, have three or four fights from one weight class on a card, and you come out of the night with a clearer picture on how things stand in the division. 

Frankie Edgar is fighting Pedro Munhoz next. I wouldn't be opposed to Garbrandt fighting the winner of that. Cody Vs Frankie is an interesting fight to me, and we know there's a great fight waiting to happen if it's Munhoz Vs Garbrandt. 

Sterling should be fighting the winner of Yan Vs Aldo. Get that fight booked ASAP, as Sterling is ready to go I'm sure. Then hopefully Sterling Vs Yan/Aldo in the Autumn?

Sean O'Malley Vs Ricky Simon? Is that an idea, or is there too much chance of ending something fun already for little gain? Maybe Kelleher Vs O'Malley? Come to think of it, I like O'Malley Vs Faber. 

Then there's still Moraes, Stamann, Assuncao, Rivera, Sandhagen and Cruz. Match them up any way you like, I'm happy to take it all. We know Cejudo is only likely to return for one of the old guy fights, Aldo/Edgar/Faber, so see how it falls out first with the Yan Vs Aldo fight and then I'm sure we'll hear of Triple C being on the blower to Uncle Dana. 

Disappointed that Alonzo Menifield's run has been temporarily put off the tracks. Chase Hooper clearly needs some time fighting somewhere else, time away to develop his stand-up/take down game or else fight the absolute entry level talent in the UFC, as that's what he is himself. He is too young to be missing out with his real development time. 

The main event was the one sided mauling that we expected. Spencer is obviously double tough, and Amanda can only beat what is put in front of her. She's either a seismic leap ahead of all these women, or they are all just so evenly matched and not as well rounded and she's a bit better than they are. Amanda's biggest problem isn't even her's. The two "divisions" if you can call them that, that she fights in are piss weak. There are no interesting people cutting through 135, doing what Amanda is doing at the top end, to get excited about. There are just zero interesting contenders. Which means it's almost impossible to be interested in the champion. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Come to think of it, I like O'Malley Vs Faber. 

This is the one for me. Faber is pretty much done as a championship contender, but he's still a big name who can still go and can cause problems for anyone climbing the ladder. Right now, he's perfect in a gatekeeping role, and would definitely be an appropriate step-up for Sugar.

The main event was the one sided mauling that we expected. Spencer is obviously double tough, and Amanda can only beat what is put in front of her. She's either a seismic leap ahead of all these women, or they are all just so evenly matched and not as well rounded and she's a bit better than they are. Amanda's biggest problem isn't even her's. The two "divisions" if you can call them that, that she fights in are piss weak. There are no interesting people cutting through 135, doing what Amanda is doing at the top end, to get excited about. There are just zero interesting contenders. Which means it's almost impossible to be interested in the champion. 

Yeh, I was thinking about whether there was anyone on her defeats list she could rematch with and avenge her losses, but there's no-one who'd fit - she avenged her first loss, but Alexis Davis is now retired, Cat Zingano's been released, and Sarah D'Alelio's in Invicta with an 11-7 record. And even if they were all available, I don't think any of them would have any chance at all of beating her any more. 

EDIT: I stand corrected on Davis. She's still active in the UFC - I think I confused her with Liz Carmouche. Either way, she's still not eligible - she's on a 3-fight losing streak at the mo.

Edited by Carbomb

I recently listened to Luke Thomas talking about this event (I know, I know) and he's talking about Nunes potentially retiring (based on nothing but what he thinks) because she's cleaned out the division and that there's no one who can touch her.

I distinctly recall him saying the same thing about Rousey. No one comes close, it's now a matter of when rather than if in her fights. Then she got matched with Holly Holm, who no one gave a chance. 

The same will happen to Nunes if she sticks around. someone will beat her. No one will expect it. Then all the fans will start asking if she was really that good all along.

• Paid Members

The Nunes situation feels different to me. At least when Rousey came in it was all fresh and she was rattling through the best of the women that were on offer. Rousey also had the the shadow of Cyborg looming over her at all times.

Nunes has basically smashed through two entire divisions (thought 145 is hardly a division) and is so physically dominant over the other ladies that its making it all feel a little deflating. Where Ronda seemed to be leagues ahead in terms of one specific skillet that one seemed to be able to stop, Nunes is just on another level physically and skillswise. Women are fighting Nunes with seemingly no path to victory at the moment, and there's no one emerging who even looks close to even posing a threat. The same thing has happened at 125 in the UFC.

Who is left for Nunes to fight in MMA?

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Who is left for Nunes to fight in MMA?

There's always someone new to face. Maybe not right now, but new challengers come along frequently. And sooner or later, she'll lose. It happens to everyone except Floyd Mayweather and Rocky Marciano.

• Paid Members

Also, I could be wrong (have been many times before), but Nunes doesn't have the same incentives to retire: she's never been as big a star and therefore an earner as Rousey, so she may want to get more fight paydays in, and, being gay, in practical terms, her biological schedule may be a little less urgent - if she wants kids, she potentially has a little more room to manoeuvre (unless it's absolutely imperative to her that she have biological kids of her own and that she be the one in her relationship to get pregnant).

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, David said:

There's always someone new to face. Maybe not right now, but new challengers come along frequently. And sooner or later, she'll lose. It happens to everyone except Floyd Mayweather and Rocky Marciano.

and Joe Calzgahe.

You're probably right, I just can't see it for a good few years, there's no one emerging that looks like they can touch Nunes or Shevchenko. It feels like being back in the Strikeforce days when they would throw any hapless female fighter in with Cyborg to just get bashed about for a couple of rounds. Difference now is Nunes is actually the naturally smaller lady winning the fights at 145, it isnt a case of them feeding some smaller fighter to her that brave enough to have a go.

The pregnancy/lay off may actually do some good, in a years time hopefully a few clearcut contenders will have emerged.

47 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

and Joe Calzgahe.

You're probably right, I just can't see it for a good few years, there's no one emerging that looks like they can touch Nunes or Shevchenko. It feels like being back in the Strikeforce days when they would throw any hapless female fighter in with Cyborg to just get bashed about for a couple of rounds. Difference now is Nunes is actually the naturally smaller lady winning the fights at 145, it isnt a case of them feeding some smaller fighter to her that brave enough to have a go.

The pregnancy/lay off may actually do some good, in a years time hopefully a few clearcut contenders will have emerged.

You know how it works in this game, Ebb. All it takes is that one punch with those small gloves and all of a sudden she's wobbling and staggering. Then we all lose our shit and a new legend is born.

It can happen at literally any time during a fight. That's the advantage of MMA over boxing really. it doesn't take a real KO-artist to make it work in MMA because of the gloves and the variations in movement etc.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Whoa, that's a sobering thought. Imagine someone like Daniel Dubois or Deontay Wilder. going into MMA.

Someone would literally die in the cage.