UFC 250: Nunes vs Spencer - Jun 6 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I usually always watch the Weigh Ins on the day of a PPV for that last little bit of hype and it never fails. But with the current situation the ceremonial bullshit Weigh Ins are understandably a thing of the past and awkward masked face-offs in an empty hall justย donโ€™t have the same effect. Very much looking forward to this tonight though.

434-AC582-451-D-4-CD4-866-A-C24-CACA3-EC

Creepy Dana looking at Felicia Spencerโ€™s tits like theyโ€™re a plate of chips there. Dirty old fuck.

Anyway...Amanda Nunes vs Felicia Spencer - Mostย likely this will be a mauling with Nunes doing the mauling. I hope Iโ€™m wrong though and Spencer can make a bit of a challenge of it. Sheโ€™s a pretty big 145er. Itโ€™s not like sheโ€™s a 135er coming up like some of Nunesโ€™ past opponents have been. And if Spencer can get the takedown, her being a legit Featherweight could work well for her in the grappling. Aside from that we know sheโ€™s tough and has heart. She showed that by surviving 3 rounds of Cyborg. So sheโ€™s got some attributes to where maybe we shouldnโ€™t be totally dismissing her chances here. Itโ€™s so easy when you have a dominant champ like Nunes toย just write off any challenger. But we havenโ€™t really seen Nunes in with a strong grappler whoโ€™s also a real 145er. And one that doesnโ€™t just unravel as soon as punches start flying like Ronda did. Spencer has shown she doesnโ€™t shy away from gettingย stuck in and will takeย her lumps to get the takedown. All that said, if she canโ€™t get the takedown I think sheโ€™s fucked. Sheโ€™s got nothing for Nunes on the feet based on what weโ€™ve seen ofย her so far.

Nunes by KO/TKO. Could be an early blitz. Might well beย over in 30 seconds if Nunes just comes out in beast mode. But Iโ€™ve got a feeling this oneโ€™s going a few rounds. I think Nunes will be a bit wary of the takedown early and sheโ€™ll know Spencer is durable. Can see it being more of a drawn out beating. For Spencerโ€™s sake, I just hope itโ€™sย not as bad as the Pennington one. But unless she can just get out the blocks strong and get her grappling going early, I see a painful night ahead for her.ย 

03458161-30-DC-4362-89-FD-728651831-DEF.

Raphael Assuncao vs Cody Garbrandt - Not sure what the fuck happens here. Canโ€™t see it being boring though. Assuncao is obviously a terror on the mat but people forget he can also crack on the feet too. Hard as nails, ton of experience, well rounded. Heโ€™s still a hard nightโ€™s work for pretty much anyone inย the division on a good day. And at this point the blueprint is kind of out there with Cody. Heโ€™s a dangerous fighter himself, heavy hands for a Bantamweight for sure. But everyone knows now that heโ€™s there to be hit and he doesnโ€™t hold up to it very well. Whether itโ€™s a lack of durability or his defence going out the window, or both, itโ€™s undeniably become an issue. Heโ€™s been knocked out 3 times in a row now. The last 2 inside a round. People point to the smart way he fought against Dominick Cruz as what he needs to go back to but Iโ€™m not sure how effective thatโ€™d be now. His power was what brought him to the dance and I think a lot of whatย made his performance against Cruz so effective was the element of surprise. Nobody expected it. Cruz included. It worked a treat but thatโ€™s not how he fights. His last fight against Pedro Munhoz he threw caution to the wind and it nearly paid off. He had Munhoz hurt bad, but heโ€™s just not holding up well in these shootouts.

In fairness, Cody is trying everything he can to protect that chin this time...

D32-A830-F-6-F9-E-4908-B793-7-D920-E32-E

But I donโ€™t think itโ€™s going to work. Iโ€™m havingย Assuncao by KO/TKO. Probably first round again. Hopefully Cody has foundย a balance somewhere between the Cruz performance and his bombs away style. If he goes in to slug it out because he thinksย Assuncao is just a โ€˜BJJ guyโ€™ then I think he ends up dribbling on the canvas again. But even if he starts off playing it smart, I reckon Assuncao can drag him into a brawl and eitherย KOsย him or stuns himย and jumps on a submission. In a way the worst thing that could happen for Cody is if he scores a quick knockout here because then heโ€™ll probably just think heโ€™s โ€˜backโ€™ and continue fighting like a div.ย 

E264-DE3-D-697-D-4027-9-B88-4-ED3-BB8-A3

Aljamain Sterling vs Cory Sandhagen - This is the fight Iโ€™m most into on the whole card. Got a really good feeling about it. Sterling has really come on since that knockout loss to Marlon Moraes a few years ago. Heโ€™s been beating some solid fighters and having entertaining fights along the way. Even pulled off a Suloev stretch to beat Cody Stamann! The Munhoz fight last year was fantastic as well. And Iโ€™ve been a fan of Sandhagen since his comeback stoppage over Iuri Alcantara early into his UFC stint. Heโ€™s on a 7 fight streak and coming off back-to-back wins over John Lineker and Raphael Assuncao. Buzzing for this. Theyโ€™re both on top form, both at their physical peak and fairly young at 30 and 28 respectively. And Dana confirmed this week that the winner is getting a title shot. So it looks like weโ€™re basically getting a mini tournament with Sterling vs Sandhagen and Aldo vs Yan with the winners facing off to crown a new undisputed champ. Where Moraes fits into this I donโ€™t know. Heโ€™s already beat 2 of the 4 but heโ€™s being left out which sucks. Cejudoโ€™s sudden retirement has kind of thrown the whole division into a tailspin though.

Sandhagen by decision for me. Almost 50/50 on it though. Got a feeling itโ€™s going to be razor close. Shame they werenโ€™t given 5 rounds as a Fight Night headliner to really determine who the top contender is. Just got a feeling Sandhagen might outwork him. I think Sterling is the better overall grappler but I think Sandhagen will be able toย hang and survive down there. On the feet,ย although Sterlingโ€™s striking has improved, I give Sandhagen the slight advantage there. Thatโ€™s why I wish they had 5 rounds. Then weโ€™d see other factors like cardio really putย to the test.ย Great fight.ย 

83967195-6748-4525-ACD1-CE8-EAC65-B28-C.

Neil Magny vs Anthony Rocco Martin - Itโ€™s the fight Iโ€™m least bothered about onย the main card but itโ€™s not bad. Magny came backย from hisย USADA suspension in March and looked pretty good beating Li Jingliang. Martin has gone 5-1 in his last 6, with the only loss being Demian Maia. And he went the distance with Maia. Martin is probably slightlyย underrated, to be honest. Iโ€™m sure thisโ€™ll be perfectly fine. Canโ€™t say Iโ€™m too fussed about it though.

Tough one to call but Iโ€™ll say Magny by decision. Wonโ€™t be shocked if Martin edges it but theyโ€™re pretty evenly matched on paper. Iโ€™m swinging towards Magny slightly just because heโ€™s done better against a higher level of opposition. Wins over Gastelum, Condit etc. Bit of a toss up though.

715-A2-A36-B581-453-A-8126-200-A00468-C6

Eddie Wineland vs Sean Oโ€™Malley - Like I said in the OP, this is the toughest test to date for Suga Sean. Wineland has been around the block,ย fought some of the top fighters in the game and heโ€™s tough as oldย boots. He shouldnโ€™t be a pushover here. So if Oโ€™Malley does walk through him, itโ€™ll be quite a statement. Iโ€™m expecting a really fun and lively fight here. Both are aggressive, Oโ€™Malley has that fearlessness of a young fighterย and Wineland can be a bit wild. Itโ€™s the ideal PPV opener really.

Iโ€™m going with Oโ€™Malley on points. Could see a finish but Winelandโ€™s only been legitimately stopped by strikes twice in a 38 fight career. And one of them was prime Renan Barรฃo. Oโ€™Malley has been talking about wanting the kind ofย KO that goes viral so fuck knows whatโ€™ll happen when the cage door shuts. If he can make a highlight reel ofย Wineland itโ€™ll beย impressive. I think he wins but hopefully Wineland makes a good scrap of it.ย 

Full predictions;

Amanda Nunes by KO/TKO.

Raphael Assuncao by KO/TKO.

Cory Sandhagen by Decision.

Neil Magny by Decision.

Sean Oโ€™Malley by Decision.

Chase Hooper by KO/TKO.

Gerald Meerschaert by Decision.

Cody Stamann by Decision.

Charles Byrd by Submission.

Jussier Formiga by Decision.

Alonzo Menifield by KO/TKO.

Herbert Burns by Submission.

Donโ€™t sleep on that undercard either. Even down on the Fight Pass bit, the Menifield and Burns fights should be well worth a look. Looking forward to seeing Chase Hooper again as well.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Liked this show a lot. Some good fights, standout performances,ย highlight reel finishes and a couple of surprises. Couple of prospects shined and a couple got derailed.ย 

Nunes vs Spencer was the one sided hammering most expected. I kind of hoped/thought Spencer might be able to get something going with her grappling but Nunes just busted her up. Man, isย Spencer is next level tough or what though? Thatโ€™s a total of 8 rounds combined sheโ€™s gone with Nunes and Cyborg and neither could put her away. Sheโ€™s too tough for her own good. Got her arse kicked for 4 rounds straight then looked like this coming out for the 5th...

85-ED38-F0-0-F84-4-E52-ACDA-3-E982-B7481

Not normal is it? Rich Franklin move over. I think we have a new toughest maths teacher onย the planet.

Donโ€™tย know what the hellย Nunes does from here. Thereโ€™s not much left.ย Itโ€™s probablyย going to have to be Megan Anderson but I think sheโ€™s got even less chance than Spencer did. If only they still had Cyborg around. Nunes vs Cyborg 2 wouldโ€™ve been perfect for one of the end of the year PPVs. Cheers Dana.ย 

Cody Garbrandt needed that. Badly. Canโ€™t stand Cody but that was a hell of a knockout. The little duck before coming back up with the kill shot reminded me of this Roy Jones KO;

4167491A-032E-4156-834B-857D102515F1.gif

Wasnโ€™t quite as slick as Royโ€™s but it was a cleaner connection and more devastating. And just like that, Cody is backย in the mix. Heโ€™s nowhere near a title shot given the current logjam of contenders at the top of 135, but a finish like that will do wonders for rehabbing an image after a losing skid. Still see him getting fucked up by the top boys though. Everyoneโ€™s on his dick again after this but, as awesome a KO as it was,ย this was no revelation. Heโ€™s always had that power. Itโ€™s going to pay off some nights, others heโ€™ll rely on it and get waffled while going for the kill.ย Still not convinced heโ€™s โ€˜fixedโ€™ now. Thatย vulnerability will always be there. Itโ€™s going to be a question of not taking the shots in the first place and Iโ€™m not sure heโ€™s ever going to beย defensively sound enough where that becomes his regular approach. Heโ€™ll always revert to a slugfest.ย And ifย he slacks on his defence again heโ€™ll likely pay the price.

Made me laugh how DC was saying โ€˜if Cody wins this fight, how can he not be on the shortlist of guys to fight for the title?โ€™ But you have to remember he was comingย into this fight off 3 knockout losses. Heโ€™s not getting a look in ahead of Aldo, Yan, Sterling and that lot. I wouldnโ€™t mind seeing Garbrandt vs Cruz 2 actually. But Iโ€™ve got a feeling Cody might be a victim of his own impressive showing here and they might throw him in with Marlon Moraes. Moraes needs a dance partner and him and Cody has fireworks written all over it.ย 

Aljamain Sterling handling Cory Sandhagen the way he did was the surprise of the card for me. Really didnโ€™t see that coming. This was a huge statement from Sterling at a crucial time. Dana had already said going in that the winner of this would be getting a shot at the title but a performance like this really solidifies that. Sandhagen is a BJJ brown-belt and had never been finished before, so Sterling subbing him in a minute or so was something special. Sterling has really hit his stride. Looking forward to seeing him get the winner of that Aldo vs Yan fight thatโ€™s being talked about.ย 

Magny vs Martin was the slow moving, tactical chess match I expected. Close one. Seen some complaints that Martin shouldโ€™ve got the nod from the judges but I had Magny winning myself. Thought he held up better cardio wise and did just enough. 30-27 was a bit generous maybe but aside from that, I thought the right man won.ย 

The Sean Oโ€™Malley KO wasnโ€™t far behind the Garbrandt one. Just ruthless. Liked the Mark Hunt style walk away too. Like I said before the fight, Wineland was never a world beater but he was a crafty and tough veteran. You donโ€™t generally walk through Wineland and stop him quick so for Suga to do it in a minute was impressive forย where he is at this stage in his career. Interested to see who heโ€™s matched up with next. Got a feeling theyโ€™ll be moving him up the ladder fairly fast after this.ย 

The afro battle betweenย Alex Caceres andย Chase Hooper wasnโ€™t quite how I expected. I either bought into the bit of Hooper hypeย too much orย Bruce Leeroy just had a great night. Sadly I think it was too much too soon for Hooper. I like him but if youโ€™re looking that out of your depthย and getting outclassed by Caceres then youโ€™re probably not ready for the UFC yet. Heโ€™s only 20 so itโ€™s not the end of the world. But based on this, I think Rogan was spot on when he saidย heโ€™d probably have been better off gaining some more experience outside the UFC first. Caceres is fun but he shouldnโ€™t be exposing you this clearly.ย 

Ian Heinisch wasnโ€™t fucking about. Had this pegged as a competitive, close 3 rounder but Meerschaert didnโ€™t even get out of the blocks. Really impressive win over a durable guy.

Stamann vs Kelleher was good stuff. Enjoyed it a lot. Never fully got into Stamannโ€™s fights before but whether it was the moveย up to 145 or his brotherโ€™s death lighting a fire under him, he had a different energy and aggression about him for this one and it paid off. Post-fight interview was rough. Poor fuck. Donโ€™t know how he held it all together while grieving, much less won.

Maki Pitolo looked good stopping Charles Byrd. Really liked his body punches towards the end especially.

Fight Pass bit was fun. Alex Perez ending Formiga with leg kicks in a round wasnโ€™t the way I expected that fight to go at all. Those calf kicks are fucking brutal. To fold a tough little bastard like Formiga the way he did says it all.

Devin Clark vs Alonzo Menifield was an eye opener. Iโ€™ve been high on Menifield but this wasnโ€™t a good sign. He looked dangerous as fuck early on as usual but he gassed pretty badly as the fight went on and Clark just outworked him. Never really rated Clark much so Menifield losing to him makes me reassess my expectations of him. Hopefully he can fix his conditioning issues. Decent fight regardless.ย 

Herbert Burns pissed straight through Evan Dunham in the nightโ€™s opener. Cut through him like butter and got the quick choke. The Burns brothers are on a roll at the moment.

Top show that.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

First full show Iโ€™ve watched in forever. Really enjoyable. Daniel Cormier is the most likeable commentator on the planet. An absolute joy listening to him having such a good time.ย 

My biggest takeaway was how improvedย the post-fight interviews were with the new format. Allowing fighters to truly catch their breath and thoughts did wonders for their lucidity. I suspect not having the pressure of public speaking in front of thousands helped, too. They should seriously consider keeping this change going forward.

The Sugar Show though. Awesome. Thatโ€™s the type of shit that could pull me back full-time.

• Paid Members

Oโ€™Malleyโ€™s performance reminded me so much of McGregorโ€™s UFC debut against Marcus Brimage.

Seen some right dopey talk on who he should fight next though. Seen people throwing names like Aldo, Edgar and Cruz around. Backย the fuck up and slow downย with that shit. Not sure who Iโ€™d have him fight next but I definitely wouldnโ€™t be throwing him in with guys like that yet. Maybe someone likeย Marlon Vera.ย ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

I hope O'Malley's desire to renegotiate his contract doesn't result in him beingย sidelinedย for a while.ย 

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Heโ€™s always had that power. Itโ€™s going to pay off some nights, others heโ€™ll rely on it and get waffled while going for the kill.ย Still not convinced heโ€™s โ€˜fixedโ€™ now. Thatย vulnerability will always be there.

Agreed.ย 

• Paid Members

So annoyed I missed this. As I've said before, I like O'Malley because his style to me looks like the MMA equivalent of Tommy Hearns', and I'm fairly square on the Nunes bandwagon too.ย 

Meant to set the box to record and fell asleep. Grrrrrr.ย 

• Paid Members

Cody Garbrandt's next fight should be against Urijah Faber. Keys to Alpha Male hanging from the rafters. Either get there by ladder or Ultimate X, since they are the little fella's. Maybe get the keys and then have to complete the win by escaping the cage. Submissions and pinfalls don't count.ย 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Cody Garbrandt's next fight should be against Urijah Faber. Keys to Alpha Male hanging from the rafters. Either get there by ladder or Ultimate X, since they are the little fella's. Maybe get the keys and then have to complete the win by escaping the cage. Submissions and pinfalls don't count.ย 

BRO!ย 

F5B8EE73-E0B6-4D63-8E8C-3EF5CC509D09.gif