UFC 250: Nunes vs Spencer - Jun 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

Out of interest David, do you have any articles (The Athletic, holla) pointing to this? As discussed, I've read that champions that don't draw negotiate for big show money as the points mean they'll only get enough for a pot noodle. Going by what fighters have said in the past (DC and Bisping coming to mind), I assumed all champs get the option of points - whether or not they take that or the guaranteed money is part of the negotiation.

I've read articles on The Athletic that back up the points I'm making, but I'd be lying if I said I could identify which ones and go back through them all. 

From what I've seen from actual payouts announced by the company, almost every champion gets a higher base pay. As I mentioned in my opening post in the pay thread it looks to me like there are four tiers.

The top tier is pretty much McGregor on his own, with Khabib floating in and out on a few occasions.

The 2nd tier is male champions at lightweight and above, as well as "name" fighters like Covington, Diaz and Masvidal. This is the $500,000 category.

The 3rd tier is under-lightweight male champions and female champions, although Nunes seems to have been bumped to a middle-ground between the 3rd and 2nd tier. This category is the $250,000 to $350,000 pay level. 

While every champion seems to get that bump in initial pay, there's nothing to support the idea that every champion, and interim champion, enjoys PPV points. I don't even think every champion is offered them. They seem to be reserved for fighters who are "names" and/or are drawing champions. The figures don't support the idea that champions are given an either/or option. Every champion I've seen in reports have been paid roughly the same amount, and it's a bump up from their regular pay. None that I've seen have been on the same base pay they were getting before winning the belt, unless it's a big name who's already on decent cash like McGregor etc.

Again, I'm no financial whizz and I don't know the ins and outs, but if every champion and interim champion was on the higher basic pay and PPV points, the UFC's fighter pay outlay would be higher than has been reported. Pretty much every PPV headliner would see at least one fighter hitting the $1 million mark or thereabouts, with the challenger usually getting around the $300,000 range or above on average.

Throw in events where there's two or even three titles fights? That would see two or three fighters guaranteed to hit around $1 million or so each. I just don't see the company throwing down the equivalent of the base pay they pay McGregor for three champions in one PPV that is unlikely to come close to McG numbers.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

As discussed, I've read that champions that don't draw negotiate for big show money 

Same thing, no? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

While every champion seems to get that bump in initial pay, there's nothing to support the idea that every champion, and interim champion, enjoys PPV points. 

apart from the boss of the company saying that they do? 

I think it was Ariel Helwani who was using it as a reason for why they should have stuck an Interim title on the winner of Ngannou/Rozenstruick.

• Paid Members

Truth is, and David's post on this in the other thread pointed this out, it's murky trying to figure all this out because it's hidden for the most part. A lot of "he says this, but he said that". Personally, I'm only going on what the likes of DC, Bisping, Mighty Mouse and Helwani have talked about over the years, which obviously isn't every champion ever. 

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

apart from the boss of the company saying that they do?

Come on Ebb, the boss of the company says a lot of things that aren't true. He gets pulled up a lot because the figures just don't add up with what he's claiming.

• Paid Members

i get that, but can would why would Dana mention in a public setting that all Champions get PPV points if they don't? wouldnt that set off all the Champs not recieving them to kick up a fuss? at that point you're talking about a lot of money.

I've not looked into this but are there many examples of Champions complaining that they didn't recieve PPV points? 

edit* this old article hints that Champions recieve the PPV bonus and the amount they get per PPV depends on how many PPV's are sold. Its the challenger who negotiates whether or not they recieve a PPV share.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2019/8/8/20754613/ufc-lawsuit-docs-ppv-paydays-for-conor-mcgregor-ronda-rousey-jon-jones-and-brock-lesnar-mma-news?__twitter_impression=true

granted, thats based off the old model.

It probably explains why someone lile Gilbert Burns jumped into a title shot with Usman. He probably accepted a low deal with no kind of PPV bonus.

Edited by Egg Shen

Just now, Egg Shen said:

i get that, but can would why would Dana mention in a public setting that all Champions get PPV points if they don't? wouldnt that set off all the Champs not recieving them to kick up a fuss? at that point you're talking about a lot of money.

I've not looked into this but are there many examples of Champions complaining that they didn't recieve PPV points? 

Well, if all UFC champions and many "name" fighters are getting PPV points, they have absolutely zero grounds for complaint. Like I said, that would mean every champion on any PPV gets between 3% and 7.6% of every PPV sold. 

That's a decent chunk of the profits from PPV's. Throw in their base wage of $500,000 on average? They're doing very well.