“Rabid dogs go out of their way to not bite Bobby.”

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Who are the most universally liked wrestlers? We all know wrestling is full almost entirely of shithouses and the recent Dark Side Of The Ring series has us all dwelling on some bleak memories as fans. But every now and then you’ll see a name pop up and you think ‘well, they’re not all bad.’ 

First name that comes to mind for me is Bobby Eaton. I’ve been listening to bits of old shoot interviews lately, watched loads of them over the years, listened to a lot of podcasts and Beautiful Bobby might be the only wrestler I’ve never, ever, heard even a hint of one negative comment about. Everyone obviously respected his abilities in the ring. He was fucking brilliant. But it struck me listening to some bits and pieces earlier, that nobody has a bad word to say about him outside the ring either. And it’s everyone. Not just one clique of guys. Of course, Cornette loves him given their history. Steve Austin always talks about him with high praise. The Roadwarriors, Flair, you name them, they loved him. Goldberg couldn’t speak highly enough of him on that Broken Skull Sessions thing with Austin, even saying there was a time when he wanted Bobby to end his streak in WCW. Every story you hear, Bobby was the nicest man in the world.

Sorry for linking to Cornette but this isn’t him doing one of his ‘edgy rants’. I love this story of Bobby and a homeless man;

Steve Austin on Bobby and the giant duffel bag;

Arn Anderson on his match with Eaton at SuperBrawl 1;

This thread doesn’t have to be all about Bobby Eaton. But has anyone ever heard a bad word said about the man? If so, point me to it because I’m yet to hear it. 

There are plenty of widely respected wrestlers. The Undertaker immediately springs to mind, especially now with that great documentary series on him being so current. But you still hear the odd bad story about him. I remember Tracy Smothers not having much good to say about him and there’s been a few others. The only other names that are really sticking out to me as ‘universally liked’ would be Owen Hart and Ricky Steamboat. I’m sure there are others but most seem to have at least one bad story or heat with someone.

With Bobby, it’s just all love. In the ring and out of it.

• Paid Members

It doesn't have to be about Bobby but maybe it should be. One of the greatest of all time and lovely to hear and read so many nice stories about him.

I know he's turned out to be a massive American Tory but I never heard anyone say a bad word about Kane. Everyone seems to have enjoyed working with him and say he's a nice bloke. For a Tory.

24 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It doesn't have to be about Bobby but maybe it should be. One of the greatest of all time and lovely to hear and read so many nice stories about him.

I know he's turned out to be a massive American Tory but I never heard anyone say a bad word about Kane. Everyone seems to have enjoyed working with him and say he's a nice bloke. For a Tory.

I always thought Kane was a Democrat. That he is a Tory has ruined my night. 

• Paid Members

Never heard anything bad about The Rock have we? Can only recall HBK whinging about him when he was a fucking mess so happy to discard that.

For a guy who was legit #1 in the business, Rock always avoided stepping on people like most did to cling on to their spots.

I was coming in to mention Kane. I think he'll be one of the very few who'll qualify out of those who are still alive. Maybe dirt will come out on him one day, but i reckon it would have by now considering his new job. The only thing i think anyone's not liked about him is some of his work. Even that is only work-rate perv fans and likely think as much because he's big but doesn't do moonsaults or spin kicks. For such a genuinely fucking huge, scary looking fucker he by all accounts seems the absolute nicest bloke in the world. But even when it comes to the bullshit wrestling stuff like the politics and whatnot. Don't think you've ever heard any fuss about him on that front, refusing to job, fucking other people over, hurting anyone, none of that.  And willing to run with whatever absolute bollocks WWE asked of him. Work with fire, portray a rapist, shave half your head and eyebrows off constantly, feud with Shane McMahon.  And a lot of the time just about making it work. Big Red Top Bloke.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Never heard anything bad about The Rock have we?

There was CM Punk. But, well...yeah. Kevin Nash isn't so keen, is he? And isn't there very legitimate beef between him and the other Diesel (Vin)?  Of course some of it was purely about making money together, but Cena didn't think he was quite so wonderful either, no?

The only other thing i can think of is the I Quit match with Foley.

D-Von is universally praised, but is that because he seems so pleasant in comparison to Bubba, who's supposed to be a miserable cunt?

Daniel Bryan seems like an extremely nice person in any podcast or interview I've ever seen him do. He came across as a happy go lucky, easy going lad in the Wrestling Road Diaries doc too. Have never heard anyone say a bad word about him really.

Edited by DCW

8 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Big Show always seems sound. I think the biggest criticism of him is that he was a lazy fat shite but on the wrestler scale that's nothing.

Didnt he get his dick out at a hotel or something?