Lockdown Confessional

Frankie Crisp

On 5/18/2020 at 6:30 AM, King of Hamptons said:

I suggested to my Girlfriend who was missing me that we video call each other and watch a movie together, it's become a regular thing, we alternate who picks the film.. Most of her choices are shit though.. So I've taken to find out what film she wants to watch, read up about it and then pretend to watch it with her, then discuss it afterwords.. 

She still doesn't know..... 

• Paid Members

I've been sleeping in bed all day, getting up, eating, then going and getting drunk with whatever mate is free. 

Applied for 51 jobs in 14 days, most not even teaching and not had a single response. Deleted most it not all social media bar the Snapchat I have with my closest friends and my dad rang my mum today to make sure I hadn't topped myself. So solid Monday. 

Edited by Shy Dad

Hope tomorrow is better for you, Shy Dad. Fuck employers, most of them don't have a clue how to run a decent recruitment process that treats applicants with dignity. If you can, have a few days off from it. I applied for literally hundreds of gigs before and then got offered one I didn't even see. Recruitment is a mess, but don't let it define you or what you're good at. Keep on seeing your mates. All the best.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Applied for 51 jobs in 14 days, most not even teaching and not had a single response.

This is a reflection on the recruitment processes, not on you. The numbers of people applying are ridiculous for most jobs right now. I'm in work, so it's not the same situation, but I've been looking for a new job now for over a year and a half. I've been applying for, on average, 10 jobs a week that entire time. The vast, vast majority don't get back at all. Those that do usually take weeks.

I've also had a number of times where I've been in for a multi-stage recruitment process. And each time, I end up really invested in the role, and working really hard. Multiple interviews and a presentation. And then I don't get it. I had one last month that ended up at seven stages. And then I got an incomplete form email rejection, that literally had blank spaces with things like 'Thanks for applying for the role of  _________.'

Each time, it gets to me. Because of course it does. Each time, it just feels like I'm not good enough or I've screwed up. Even though I know being the second-to-last candidate is good going, I end up feeling lousy about it each time. And then I go through it all again.

It's not a reflection on you. You can't control who else is applying for things, and right now, the job market is over-saturated with people, and that means people who are qualified, who are a good fit, and who are talented, aren't even hearing back the majority of times.

Also, budgets are changing all the time for places who are recruiting. I can't tell you how many times I've found out that a job is just being taken off the market because there's no longer the cash for the extra person. 

It sucks. Personally, it sucks and subjectively it sucks. But you are not defined by a shitty recruitment system. You are not defined by a shitty job market. Getting by right now is fucking difficult and you are not alone or unusual in finding it so.

9 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I've just come home from the hospital having had a mate and the police pull me out the river before I went fully in. 

It's safe to say it's not going to be a good week. 

Look after yourself dude!

As others have said try not to let yourself be isolated. 

Edited by stewdogg