Lockdown Confessional

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

Thanks. It was a bit of a faff but took maybe an hour and a half with various files to cut a groove for the strings to run through. There's still a bit of a buzz on the high E where I think it's catching so that's another job to sort.

I didn't realise you'd knocked that up yourself, so even more kudos for that. I can see how it would be a ball-ache as you've still got to leave a bit for each saddle to screw into. 

I wonder if drilling a hole would work just as well. I've now got an urge to try this, but fit a Floyd Rose behind the ashtray to give the purists something to get angry over.

18 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I didn't realise you'd knocked that up yourself, so even more kudos for that. I can see how it would be a ball-ache as you've still got to leave a bit for each saddle to screw into. 

I wonder if drilling a hole would work just as well. I've now got an urge to try this, but fit a Floyd Rose behind the ashtray to give the purists something to get angry over.

Yeah, it's a bit fiddly trying to file in at an angle and then get everything smooth so it's not sharp on the strings. My only worry about just drilling a hole is if you give the trem some serious stick there's a risk of the string rubbing against the hole (KennethWilliams.gif) and unless it's super smooth might lead to breakages.

You should totally do that and then post it in a load of Telecaster groups and watch the mayhem.

• Paid Members

The Floyd saddles will do nothing other than have strings pass over them, just so long as they're lower than the one on the Tele bridge. They're essentially acting like the bar on the Bigsby that the strings pass under.

The fine tuners should still work though.

There's a Floyd Rose for ÂŁ40 on FB Market near me......

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm watching the utterly soulless car crash Dolittle. It's reminded me at one point early on in lockdown I got incredibly drunk and emotional and with tears streaming down my face I declared to my wife 'I would fight to the death for Paddington bear!'

I should add that she thought it was hysterical and agreed.

Edited by DEF

5 hours ago, DEF said:

I'm watching the utterly soulless car crash Dolittle. It's reminded me at one point early on in lockdown I got incredibly drunk and emotional and with tears streaming down my face I declared to my wife 'I would fight to the death for Paddington bear!'

I should add that she thought it was hysterical and agreed.

Had you been watching the second movie by any chance? I popped it on during a flight a few years ago. The bit at the end with his aunt had me welling up to the point I had to pop off to the loo for a while to stop my wife or other passengers seeing a 30 year old man as an emotional wreak over that bear! 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, simonworden said:

Had you been watching the second movie by any chance? I popped it on during a flight a few years ago. The bit at the end with his aunt had me welling up to the point I had to pop off to the loo for a while to stop my wife or other passengers seeing a 30 year old man as an emotional wreak over that bear! 

I've seen it a fair few times and regard it as masterpiece. However the truth is on this particular occasion I was just thinking about Paddington 2 while incredibly inebriated. 

• Paid Members

I adore both Paddington movies, just perfectly constructed fun stories with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. 

My brother is the only person I know who doesn't care for them, as he just doesn't get on with whimsy at all. He seems to pass that down to his daughter, as when she first watched Paddington 2, about half-way through she turned to him and said, "I don't think that the police would allow this".

14 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I adore both Paddington movies, just perfectly constructed fun stories with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. 

My brother is the only person I know who doesn't care for them, as he just doesn't get on with whimsy at all. He seems to pass that down to his daughter, as when she first watched Paddington 2, about half-way through she turned to him and said, "I don't think that the police would allow this".

Reminds me of my brother watching Kung Fury. After about 15 minutes, he goes "This is silly."