Wrestling claims to fame

LEGIT

9 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

What the fuck is custard brothers? 

It's when two men wank into a bowl of custard and the last one to cum drinks it.

The only wrestling related story I have is that I was asked who would win before One Night Only and would've made the footage except I said Bulldog would win because "Shawn Michaels is gay" and I don't think Sky liked it.

I went to one of the FWA week-long training camps in 2003, got to get in the ring with Robbie Brookside who complimented my selling and gave me some worked kicks to the back. Great guy. I also trained at the short lived FWA North East with Stevie Knight and got to work ring crew on the FWA 'Celebrity Wrestling' tour with Joe E Legend and D-Lo Brown. Awesome experience with loads of great memories.

I have also been in a student film with NGW's Matt Myers and he seemed genuinely chuffed when I recognised him. 

• Paid Members

refereed for two ex-WWE wrestlers, and at least three wrestlers who would go on to sign for WWE, two of whom are still on the main roster now. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a fair amount for a promotion in Jersey that doesn't tend to bring in imports. Between refereeing, crewing and generally being a hanger-on at other companies too, I've seen/met a fair few "names" of the past few years, and a handful of bigger names of yore.

lots of CHIKARA-adjacent ones, too - I ref'd the first ever match between Ophidian and Princess Kimber Lee, and Ophidian has in the past credited me with being the reason he debuted in the UK and now does yearly tours of the UK and Europe, all because I took a punt on bringing him in for a show at a film festival. Was once in a pub with Ophidian, he went to get a round in, and didn't come back for ages. He'd somehow ended up chatting to an old couple at the bar, because they heard his accent and wanted to know what an American was doing in Jersey, told them he was a wrestler, and it turned out one of them had been at school with Dave Taylor.

A lad I had a hand in training is currently working in the US, and was starting to get a ton of momentum before lockdown - he'd worked a couple of spots for GCW, and Joey Janela had Tweeted putting him over, and saying he wants him for Spring Break. Alex Shelley, in a Tweet, said that he could be "the next Amazing Red". So whenever he makes it big, I'll be throwing around that I worked his first few matches whenever I can.

Jack Charlton once told my 8 year old son to fuck off. He’s not a wrestler but I think I’m thrown that anyone using the phrase ‘custard brothers’ has had sex with a woman.

Edited by danlewis

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, danlewis said:

Jack Charlton once told my 8 year old son to fuck off.

He wasn't moonlighting as a fourth official during the 1994 World Cup, was he?

I had a piss next to Randy Orton during the 2004 Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony. He smelt divine.

Also spent the day flyering with Sami Zayn in his El Generico days along with Super Dragon. They spent the whole day talking about “raping chicks” disturbing to say the least. 

Not sure if I’ve ever told this story on here before. Couple years back I was dating a girl and when she found out I liked wrestling she told me that she had been best friends with a girl who’s Dad was a wrestler. I asked who it was, thinking I was going to surprise her by knowing some obscure wrestler most people wouldn’t have heard of. She replied with Steve Austin.

This girl literally knew nothing about wrestling at all, not even that he was called Stone Cold. I thought she was full of shit at first but she said the girls name was Steph Williams, which google showed to be true and they were the same age. She told me that the Mum had also been a wrestler, but was wasn’t really aware of the difference. Apparently she had been on holiday with her to Austin’s ranch and told me what it was like. 
Naturally I asked what the chances of us ever going there together was and she said “nah, I don’t talk to her anymore. She is a bitch and thinks she can do whatever she wants all the time.” If your Dad is Stone Cold Steve Austin, of course you can do whatever you want all the time. 

(I have no idea how much of this story is true, but I’m inclined to believe her based on her very select knowledge while being otherwise clueless.)

I once met Bret Hart in Wetherspoons in London. 

It was the London Wrestlecon organised by PSI events. 

The convention was on for two days in The Grange Hotel in Tower Bridge. 

At the end of night one I went in for a drink to Wetherspoons next door. Already in there was all the World Of Sport guys including Marty Jones and Johnny Saint as well as Gangrel. They actually allowed me and my girlfriend at the time to join them and listen in on their stories of the old days. Johnny Saint can fair drink 8 pints of John Smith's and he was still coherent.

Bret Hart walks into the pub. He was there to meet Harry Smith for a drink. Harry was meant to be there for both days but issues with flying in from Japan meant he missed the first day. He had came straight from the airport and hadn't even been into the hotel next door to check in. He went straight for the bathroom it just so happened I was in the bathroom at the same time as him when Harry walked in with his case and went for a piss at the urinal next to me. 

Was good to see Harry Smith is a cask ale drinker and had one of the guest ales on. 

Got a selfie with Bret and also Johnny Saint

• Paid Members

The only interaction I’ve ever had with a wrestler was when I was about 8 years old and I met the British Bulldog during that UK tour he did in 1994, after leaving WCW but before returning to the WWF. 

Me and my sister had our picture taken with him and he got me in sort of a sleeper. Wanted to post the photo but can’t find it anywhere here. Must be at my Mum’s. But it looked ridiculous. I was a scrawny little shite so Davey Boy’s massive arm was like a tree trunk resting on me. I was pale as fuck as well looking like someone had done the Paul Bearer makeup on me. He probably thought I didn’t have long left.

I didn’t say anything to him. But even as a kid I remember thinking he was way shorter than I imagined. My shortarse Dad spoke to him for a second and seeing them stood next to each other was quite a revelation as they looked about the same height. Bulldog was the colour of an over baked loaf though. And his arms looked ridiculous for the size of him. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Not sure if I’ve ever told this story on here before. Couple years back I was dating a girl and when she found out I liked wrestling she told me that she had been best friends with a girl who’s Dad was a wrestler. I asked who it was, thinking I was going to surprise her by knowing some obscure wrestler most people wouldn’t have heard of. She replied with Steve Austin.

This girl literally knew nothing about wrestling at all, not even that he was called Stone Cold. I thought she was full of shit at first but she said the girls name was Steph Williams, which google showed to be true and they were the same age. She told me that the Mum had also been a wrestler, but was wasn’t really aware of the difference. Apparently she had been on holiday with her to Austin’s ranch and told me what it was like. 
Naturally I asked what the chances of us ever going there together was and she said “nah, I don’t talk to her anymore. She is a bitch and thinks she can do whatever she wants all the time.” If your Dad is Stone Cold Steve Austin, of course you can do whatever you want all the time. 

(I have no idea how much of this story is true, but I’m inclined to believe her based on her very select knowledge while being otherwise clueless.)

I never even thought to mention it because I wouldn't consider it much of a claim to fame but I'm Facebook friends with his other daughter - I specify Facebook friends as it's not like we're close pals or anything but we'll like and comment on each other's stuff from time to time. It wasn't even through wrestling I "knew" her - turns out she's huge into black metal, even the pretty obscure stuff that I'm into so we met through that. It was only afterwards I realised who her dad was which was a tad surreal moment! There's something very pleasing to me about the fact that Stone Cold Steve Austin's daughter loves Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. 

Continuing the theme of very tenuously claiming fame thanks to women I know, my ex was once (kayfabe) battered by Sarah Logan, at the time Crazy Mary Dobson. (She used to be a valet/manager in some small-time Midwest promotions). Another thing I found super cool! 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

I have rather a lot of these small claims to fame, but will just stick to this one for now.

I once attended a funeral that also had Rob Brookside in attendance (& the wake). Perhaps more amazing was that the death was not one of his colleagues & Brookside was the only wrestler there. As previously mentioned in other comments, i am happy to confirm that having met Rob on many occasions, that he has always been a pleasure to be around. 

I've been lucky enough to have ring announced Drew McIntyre, Chris Hero, Drew Gulak & Davey Richards in my time.

I was in charge of teaching the basics at FutureShock the day Jack Gallagher started training (and consequently enjoy claiming "I taught that lad to bump" every time he's on TV).

I brought Fight Club: Pro to the NEC (Until recently I was in charge of stage & evening content for the Insomnia Gaming Festival, and made the initial approach to Fight Club about coming in and running the NEC. It was bloody awesome, and one of my favourite memories from that job).

While waiting in the queue for Frontiers of Honor, Matt Sydall asked me to try and fix his iPod which had completely frozen on him while he was listening to The Flaming Lips. Tried to do a hard reset of it, but it was knackered.

Helped Steve Corino get a taxi when he was leaving the first 1PW show as he seemed a bit lost and had been told there was there was s taxi rank outside the Doncaster Dome. There wasn’t so I lent him my phone to book a taxi. He was with his Finnish wife, I think there were only recently married at that point

Edited by WyattSheepMask