Sign in to follow this  
King of Hamptons

VE Day

10 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

is this purely because it’s the 75th Anniversary?

Of course. That's why they moved the bank holiday to coincide with it. 

Edited by PunkStep

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I don’t even remember them making such a big thing of it last year, or is this purely because it’s the 75th Anniversary?

I remember a big deal being made about the 50th which I’m sure is the reason why Robson and Jerome’s musical career was launched. But there were no street parties that I remember, just a load of programs celebrating it on TV

I can remember 50 because I was at primary school and we did loads of work about it, can’t remember street parties though. Even going back to 2015 for the 70th I don’t recall as much ‘celebration’ as this weekend had

Why would you? Nobody celebrates a 70th anniversary. 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th.

I remember there being a big do in Birmingham when I was working there, so somewhere 2013 - 2015, for something. They had an old spitfire flypast and a load of displays and stalls outside the library. 

I have no idea what it was for though, can't remember that, but it was all 1940's war nostalgia to celebrate or commemorate something. I do remember one of the young ladies who'd volunteered there for the day though. 

Edited by Tommy!

Based on some of the images of "questionable" social distancing observed during VE Day street parties, imagine the Daily Mail's uproar has it been a load of Muslims outside a Mosque or something?

Obviously fine as long as its the "right kind" of celebration.

Personally, I think that any celebrations are in bad taste during this time, no matter how many feet they are away from each other.

Edit: I stand corrected, its the BBC's fault. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1280013/BBC-news-coronavirus-social-distancing-ignored-ve-day-celebrations

Edited by garynysmon

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Why would you? Nobody celebrates a 70th anniversary. 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th.

Guarantee it'll be a yearly thing for the Poppy Brigade now though. A War Easter to go with poppy season's War Christmas.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Exactly. It’s like Gold, silver and bronze. You don’t celebrate fourth. 

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. It’s like Gold, silver and bronze. You don’t celebrate fourth. 

Where's a Nick Clegg crying gif when I need one?