Undertaker - The Last Ride

King Pitcos

Noticed the 3 week wait too. If it is to keep network subscribers then its worked with me. I was going to cancel the network the day after Mania then when i saw this advertised I decided to keep it. It's been useful with podcasts in the background and whatnot. if they drag out the Last RIde for 6 weeks then summerslam will be on the horizon which will keep me subscribed for a little while longer. 

On the documentary, it's hard. You want to walk away knowing you don't have it anymore, yet want to go out on a good performance. How do you balance the 2? A good performance tells you that there is still some left in the tank. If you look at boxing the stars who walk away well are the ones who realise they still have enough to do well yet they're on the slide. E.g. Crolla, Calzaghe, Mayweather, Lennox. 

Taker at the moment is like a James Toney who hasn't had it for years, and either loves it too much or just wants that one last great performance. Another great match won't be from him though, it will be from his opponent. I think the company realises the man to give him THAT match is AJ. And he likely wants the swansong in the ring. 

The Boneyard could add years to his career, would love to see him to a Boneyard with Wyatt dating back to their Mania encounter. Then they could do him and Demon King, and him Sting. All would be great spectacles. 

• Paid Members

While still enough in there to hold your interest, I did find this week to be tragically 'same old', which is Undertaker feeling he's back, failing and then trying to make it right and probably failing. Obviously Goldberg is next week so that isn't changing - although it will be interesting to see how hard they throw Bill under the bus to save The Undertaker some face.

I just hope the poor bugger insists on doing these mini movies until he calls it quits.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They're certainly a good way to prolong the career for a bit, but surely he's retiring in front of an audience.

Yeah, but if he's going to have many more almost all of them should be protected with production and cuts. They could easily do both if he was to have a retirement though. 15 minutes of him recreating Road House, 5 minutes of an actual match.

These prerecords are fine when there’s no live crowd, but they’ll go down like a puddle of sick when they’re running arena shows again.

• Paid Members

This week's episode was the first time it felt actively disingenuous and put me off. Just glossing over why The Undertaker is wrestling in Saudi Arabia, or any impact of the Saudi shows and their money whatsoever.

I don't necessarily expect the guy in the "America: Love It Or Leave It" shirt to have a nuanced opinion on Middle Eastern politics, and I'd even be willing to believe that he wasn't working all of those shows just because they're paying him a massive wedge of cash. But to go from basically two episodes of "I can only work once a year, I need to take months to prepare for a single match" to having another match less than a month after Wrestlemania - and that, if I remember correctly, that match was at one point announced to be Vs. Jericho, and was changed to Rusev, and maybe back and forth a couple of times, and you'd think that a guy that's incredibly selective about when he works, who he works with, and why, might have had something to say about that.

Same with Shawn Michaels coming out of retirement. You've got Triple H saying, "after 8 years, I never thought Shawn would come out of retirement for one more match!", and making it sound like he agreed just out of the pleasure of working with those three wrestlers again - but he didn't come out of retirement to work that match at Great Balls Of Fire or in Little Rock, Arkansas, did he?

It's a weird thing to be put off by though. It's a WWE documentary. We've had a lot of insight we never got before. But they're hardly going to start shouting about the fuckton of money they're getting from the Saudi deal or going into stuff from a political point of view. Obviously there's some limits on an in-house documentary. Just have to enjoy it for what it is and what they can offer really.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Just have to enjoy it for what it is and what they can offer really.

Do you fuck. If they're going to put out shallow nonsense dressed up as documentary because they've got some cool footage of The Undertaker then they absolutely deserve to be called on it. If you want to enjoy it, go right ahead - good for you. But don't shut down discussion because we should be somehow grateful for a disingenuous look behind the curtain. 

There was an ace post by @Liam O'Rourke after the first one and he was spot on. It's got worse since. At least the first one was interesting. This is a fluff job.

Stuff like this springs to mind when you briefly let yourself fantasise about a Vince McMahon memoir or documentary. It'd be worthless. They won't let half the story be told. Another 40% will be bent to fit their narrative. The rest will be cool footage/stories and some will lap it up.