Jump to content

Undertaker - The Last Ride


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members

with a gun to my head, if you'd asked me to name Undertaker matches of the last few years, I'd have never remembered that "Last Time Ever" match with Triple H even happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant knock his dedication. Imagine if they did one of these for Andre's latter day matches? "Well, I sit down here for a few hours playing cribbage, drink a few cans, have a shit in the bath, wipe my

I don’t ever remember Kane looking that ginger in the early days of the gimmick. He’s got the full Mick Hucknall head going on there. The Big Simply Red Machine. 

Undertaker is interviewed on Pete Rosentwat's show today. I'm just sitting here thinking, it's alright to break character mate, but dont take the piss. He's never shut his gob for months. He's like th

Posted Images

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

with a gun to my head, if you'd asked me to name Undertaker matches of the last few years, I'd have never remembered that "Last Time Ever" match with Triple H even happened.

From memory that match was also terrible, although there was no reference to it being bad in this week's episode, they just made out that only the Saudi match was poor. Both were shit.

My memories from the 'last time ever' match was the world's worst Irish whip where one of them didn't even turn round and a terrible suplex onto a knocked over guard rail. I'm sure somebody on here will have GIFs of these they can wheel out!

Edit: a quick Google and it turns out the Irish whip was from the Crown Jewel tag. So just the terrible suplex from Super Show Down.

Edited by iMPACt!
Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be in the minority reading the posts here but it has disappointed me so far. It's been an interesting watch but it's been evident very quickly that he's not different to everyone else. Chasing one more moment, putting his body through hell just in case he can deliver. 

It might be the way it's been edited but the whole apology to Reigns after a 5 minute squash with Cena just doesn't sit well. If you know you have no business being in the ring, don't get in the ring. Regardless of whether Vince asks or not. 

The Last Dance raised my expectations too much I think and this pales in comparison. 

Maybe it's too early to judge, it just seems a bit hokey so far and I'm saying that knowing full well how hokey wrestling has been and can be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just a lot sadder than I think they wanted it to be.  He's a guy who just can't let go, can't be at peace with his career, can't be at peace with retirement.  His friends and family hold him in too much respect, so they won't be honest and tell him it's over.

This episode was just about pissing away the reprieve from pain and injury after his surgery, on some pointless matches.  By the end he's hobbling again, he's got fat again, but he's further away from that golden last moment than he was after the Reigns match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Loki said:

It's just a lot sadder than I think they wanted it to be.  He's a guy who just can't let go, can't be at peace with his career, can't be at peace with retirement.  His friends and family hold him in too much respect, so they won't be honest and tell him it's over.

This episode was just about pissing away the reprieve from pain and injury after his surgery, on some pointless matches.  By the end he's hobbling again, he's got fat again, but he's further away from that golden last moment than he was after the Reigns match.

You have summed it up perfectly, hit the nail right on the head as to why it didn't sit well with me. It's just sad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loki said:

It's just a lot sadder than I think they wanted it to be.  He's a guy who just can't let go, can't be at peace with his career, can't be at peace with retirement.  His friends and family hold him in too much respect, so they won't be honest and tell him it's over.

This episode was just about pissing away the reprieve from pain and injury after his surgery, on some pointless matches.  By the end he's hobbling again, he's got fat again, but he's further away from that golden last moment than he was after the Reigns match.

It's weird because only in wrestling would you show respect for someone by not being honest. Why isn't anyone telling him to let go? Cena or Austin should just tell him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's absolutely devastating in many ways, which is part of why it's so utterly fascinating for me to watch. It's really not what you'd have ever expected from an Undertaker post-career documentary series - and that's near enough what it is - although I think it's a little unfair to call it hokey. In fact, by showing all the negative stuff and the struggles across the board from Taker, his family, and his peers, it's far more real than it has any right to be. There's no happy ending quite yet, but at least we know we'll end up with the Boneyard match which fulfills his wishes to work with AJ and actually gave us something decent.

I'm very curious to see if he decides to retire on that or not. I'd be very surprised, just because despite being a great job by all involved, it's not the retirement in front of a crowd that he deserves. But then you don't want him to go out there and fuck it all up again either. It's so difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members

Seems like the only two reasons to show this now (other than capitalising on The Last Dance) are to have the Boneyard match be the happy ending and the retirement, or to set up a retirement match. The latter seems unlikely given it would be odd not to do it in front of a crowd at a big show, which at the moment appears like a delayed SummerSlam in September would be the earliest, so you lose any momentum you get off this. (Survivor Series to mark 30 years after his debut would seem more logical.) It's also putting a hell of a lot of pressure on if you do a final match.

IIRC, The Undertaker-HHH match in Australia wasn't so much outright bad as just painfully mediocre. They went 27 minutes and anyone who follows insider news knew it was just a setup for the tag match anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JNLister said:

IIRC, The Undertaker-HHH match in Australia wasn't so much outright bad as just painfully mediocre. They went 27 minutes and anyone who follows insider news knew it was just a setup for the tag match anyway.

Yeah I don't remember it being awful. Just pretty forgettable. Plus as you say, the rumours of what was happening next were almost more interesting than that match. Plus the way Taker was talking in this episode, that was the only point. It was complete set up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice of Taker to nick the "I'm not as good as I once was..." phrase from Toby Keith and not only not credit him, but clearly make his wife think it's his. 

Edited by gmoney
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Nice of Taker to nick the "I'm not as good as I once was..." phrase from Toby Keith and not only not credit him, but clearly make his wife think it's his. 

I’m fairly sure that was used years ago by someone in WWE as well. Possibly Ric Flair before WrestleMania 24.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its mad how he was whining about not having enough time in his match where he beat Cena clean. He said something like 'I trained for 45 and only got 5' to someone backstage after the match. You just had a new hip put in mate and were knackered in your match the previous year, no way you were getting more than a quick match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DCW said:

Its mad how he was whining about not having enough time in his match where he beat Cena clean. He said something like 'I trained for 45 and only got 5' to someone backstage after the match. You just had a new hip put in mate and were knackered in your match the previous year, no way you were getting more than a quick match. 

It's 45 I chuckled at. As you said last time we seen him he looked like it was 50/50 that he would be able to walk up the steps to the ring. How could he think he was getting a lot of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...