Sign in to follow this  
King Pitcos

Undertaker - The Last Ride

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Yes! What the fuck, did WWE used to keep him on a strict diet or assign someone to look after him or something? It’s mad how much he’s let himself go since leaving.

He went from looking like pre-to-post quad bike Rik Mayall in about 18 months.

Honestly, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I'm spoiled watching the Last Dance, which truly feels like one of the best series of documentaries I've ever seen, and comparing it to this, there is just something about the way WWE does this stuff that rings hollow at this point.

The 5 minute montage of the Roman match with slo-mo, crowd shots, fades, etc...it's like, even when they are going in the direction of showing the one blown spot and that Taker is unhappy with the match, in isolation, they're trying to show it in as positive a light as possible, trying to make it look epic with fans crying, but it all feels so fake. I'd much rather they show clips in real time, crowd shots without slow-mos (if you want the crowd shots for dramatic effect), and play audio of the criticism the match deserves over the top as the clips are showing. Looking at that, it was a WWE promotional package for how great it was, but adding one blown spot, as if thats the only problem and nothing else was wrong. Dead crowd? Didn't happen. Taker struggling so much? Just the once. And now next episode they're going to tell us he hated it, and its just got a lack of impact in how it tells the story.

If you want to be real, then you've gotta be real all the way or it pales, unless you only watch WWE documentaries. Some good footage, but I don't see what is so must see about it yet.

I can't see how anyone can watch that and feel it was hollow, but each to their own. All documentaries are edited anyway. They're all just a chosen version of the truth. That's hardly exclusive to WWE.

Looking forward to watching this, but I am trying to hold off until at least another two episodes have dropped. Must admit every time I see the thumbnail picture for it on the WWE Network I have to do a double take as I keep thinking the picture is of Mike Ehrmantraut.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I can't see how anyone can watch that and feel it was hollow, but each to their own. All documentaries are edited anyway. They're all just a chosen version of the truth. That's hardly exclusive to WWE.

Oh for sure. I don't mind a chosen version of the truth, its just sticks out to me watching a truly great documentary series right now at the same time, that the shortcomings in the way WWE does them hold it back, even with good footage. It feels like they are constantly afraid of telling the truth, and the way they deliver information is too fluffy to mean anything. At the end of the day, they are their own promotion vehicle, the truth is not the end objective, so you can understand why, it just puts a ceiling on how good it is.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

On 5/11/2020 at 7:19 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Honestly, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I'm spoiled watching the Last Dance, which truly feels like one of the best series of documentaries I've ever seen, and comparing it to this, there is just something about the way WWE does this stuff that rings hollow at this point.

The 5 minute montage of the Roman match with slo-mo, crowd shots, fades, etc...it's like, even when they are going in the direction of showing the one blown spot and that Taker is unhappy with the match, in isolation, they're trying to show it in as positive a light as possible, trying to make it look epic with fans crying, but it all feels so fake. I'd much rather they show clips in real time, crowd shots without slow-mos (if you want the crowd shots for dramatic effect), and play audio of the criticism the match deserves over the top as the clips are showing. Looking at that, it was a WWE promotional package for how great it was, but adding one blown spot, as if thats the only problem and nothing else was wrong. Dead crowd? Didn't happen. Taker struggling so much? Just the once. And now next episode they're going to tell us he hated it, and its just got a lack of impact in how it tells the story.

If you want to be real, then you've gotta be real all the way or it pales, unless you only watch WWE documentaries. Some good footage, but I don't see what is so must see about it yet.

Irony of comparing 'The Last Dance' as a credible documentary piece when Jordan's own company produced it and he had last say on everything included. Both shows are propaganda pieces spinning their own biased narrative. MJ making himself look like less of a cunt and WWE making themselves look better than they are.

It's not even credibility to me, its the way they use the footage they have to tell the story they want to convey. One is doing it in a way that feels like a real sports documentary, using their amazing footage and archival stuff to tie everything together, and the other is doing it in the same way every WWE Network special ever is done, same style. I know people like them, but to me the documentaries have gone way down in recent years, even though the footage is better than ever, because of the way they handle the narrative.

For example, The Last Dance spent minutes talking about Jordan being an asshole in practice, explain it from his perspective, from the other folks' perspective where they make criticisms, and leave you to decide by playing raw footage. Even when they have a stake in the outcome as you say, you don't feel misled because of how it is executed.

The other showed me a match that was painfully dull as an epic, tips a hand to one blown spot, then shows the rest like it got over great, complete with cheesy slow-mos of fans crying and pounding their hearts and cheering wildly, a drastically different vibe to what it was like in the building. It sucks. The more appropriate way, if you want to be a real doc, is to show the match retrospectively with him talking honestly about how he felt it went and talking about the blown spot, the lack of crowd reaction, his thoughts as the match went on about how it was going, what he did and didnt like, and cutting back and forth between the two. That would be captivating. Instead we got a montage that, outside of showing that one blown spot, felt like a video package for Raw. Not interested in them telling me a shit match was special, or dangling the allure of a "real look" at Taker only to give a wrapped-in-fluff recap as the episode payoff.

Especially when you know next week they're going to allude to Taker's dissatisfaction with it, which makes the video pointless anyway and again, makes the narrative disjointed and feel hollow.

I think it annoyed me because the idea of getting a more real Taker with some of this footage has the potential to be truly great, and they fell back on a played-out repertoire. 

Their documentaries - especially some of the stuff on Youtube - are arguably better than they've ever been. There's a hell of a lot less 'fluff' now. They could've easily edited Jericho out, or Cornette, or JR etc but they didn't. Sure, they tell stories but that's what they do. Maybe you'll get more of the 'real' Taker you're looking for elsewhere at some point, but for me this is right up there with the best things they've ever done, even with my high hopes. To think we're getting this access and insight into Taker is something many of us never thought would happen. I'm really looking forward to the rest.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. This isn't being grouchy at people enjoying what the enjoy, I think it's just something that hit me personally all at once watching the Taker doc.

As an example of what I'm trying to get at, remember the documentary about Mania 34 that started with Brock throwing the belt at Vince? What an incredible clip. Then the rest of the doc was just....dull. They don't bother going into detail on why Brock was pissed, they just showed the clip again. Don't bother explaining why Roman was near tears after taking a genuine shit kicking to a terrible non-reaction. They put the clips in, and if you know, you know, but nobody is actually bothering to illustrate what is really happening ever or why its important, so its only ever surface level. That's WWE in a nutshell, actually.

Contrast that to the documentaries they did on ECW, Bret, Eddie, Heyman, Austin, the Bret/Shawn sitdown, even the Benoit doc from back when, and they're far deeper and more interesting, and I don't think the current crop are better at all, they're formulaic, carried by the footage and have far less replay value as a result.

But hey, to each their own - clearly its working for some people, yourself included, and I hope the rest of the series blows our socks off.

Nice suprise seeing they'd been filming this the last few years. I enjoyed watching Taker mingle with the boys backstage, particularly the bit where Hunter tries to pump some confidence into him ahead of his Wrestlemania 33 match. It's kinda tragic seeing the guy blatantly stuck in the cycle. How long before he's shitting it up inside an empty arena with AJ Styles.

What left the biggest impression on me though was Roman Reigns, and how he came across as about a thousand times bigger a star than the WWE TV version ever did. Fuck me.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Anybody else thinking the series will end with clips from the Boneyard Match [as has been teased] and Undertaker announcing his retirement?
It just seems that the addition of excerpts from that match at the same time Undertaker was talking about wanting to finish with something 'befitting The Undertaker' that they are setting up to that.

18 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

What left the biggest impression on me though was Roman Reigns, and how he came across as about a thousand times bigger a star than the WWE TV version ever did. Fuck me.

That's often the case with a lot of their talent. I find them so unlikeable (not in a heel way) or boring on screen, and yet when I watch their documentaries or their little Youtube series or whatever else, I'm right behind them. So many of them are so easy to root for just on their own merits, but they're fucked by the time they're put on screen.

3 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

fans crying and pounding their hearts and cheering wildly, a drastically different vibe to what it was like in the building.

It might not have been like that in your section, but it was pretty much like that¬†in mine. People were going nuts for him to win that match, albeit everyone was almost as knackered as he was,¬†and then doing the big ‚Äúthank you‚ÄĚ chants after. When he left his costume in the ring, there were definitely folks crying - that must have been the case where you were sitting as well, surely?

I'll have to watch it back but I don't even particularly remember the crowd coming across that badly on TV. It's a long way from the Shawn and Triple H matches, granted, but 'Taker at Mania had become such an obvious smoke and mirrors ride to go along with by that point anyway. It felt like a big fight and a noble enough bowing out at the time. If they want to portray it like that fair enough. Especially when the next episode looks to literally start with him with his arse on the couch talking about how shit he was.