Undertaker - The Last Ride

King Pitcos

I hope he announces his retirement this year.  I really, really do.  He's been borderline embarrassing for quite a few years, and he got thrown this amazing lifeline at Wrestlemania, where they could edit together something really cool.

Watching that trailer, gives me the horrible impression that despite all evidence to the contrary, it will finish with him concluding he's got one more great match in him.  He hasn't, and moreover he'll end up killing himself.

Part one has dropped.   Lovely stuff.     Can’t help feeling as if coming back after the Roman match was an error though.      

On the other hand the rest promises to be interesting 

And it’s great to hear the “sad piano” version of his theme.   

First episode was great as expected. WWE are phenomenal at this kinda content and it really shows how much Undertaker has put into his career. He's gave his entire body and even when he can barely walk or needs injections to perform he still wants to put himself through it. Some parts of that were a bit Mickey Rourke though.

What blows my mind is that after all this time he didn't have the perfect ending written for himself. A story that would've concluded his epic run beautifully. I've always said his final match should've been retiring undefeated at Mania or by putting over a younger talent (Bray, Roman for example)

All comes down to the horrendous decision to lose to Brock, it completely derailed his legacy and we've stumbled from one disaster to another from there.

Edited by Winston

• Paid Members

Imagine if there wasnt a pandemic going on? He was going to have to kill himself against AJ Styles in a proper match just so this Network series doesnt end in a "and then I had a shit match with a good worker, so that's that." It was a bit of a blessing they had that Boneyard smoke and mirrors gimmick match.

• Paid Members

I don't think him losing to Brock was a poor decision, but he shouldn't have gone on much longer than that. Him coming back for another programme with Lesnar I quite liked, though it was hurt by him dicking around with Bray Wyatt in the interim - it made it feel like he only got angry with Brock 18 months after the fact. I liked the idea of The Undertaker now being a crazy old dude with nothing left to lose, but other than him repeatedly hitting Brock in the dick and cheating a bit more, they never went anywhere with that, and before long it was back to business as usual.

The most frustrating thing about Undertaker's character is that every year for the past decade or more, they've talked about "the old gunslinger" and flirted with the idea of humanising him as being a little older and wondering whether he can still go - only for the answer to always be Michael Cole shouting "THE UNDERTAKER LOOKS AS GOOD AS HE EVER DID!". Seeing him grow old, and having him be booked accordingly, would have made for far more compelling stories than what we've been getting, where he's constantly getting fucked up because he's trying to wrestle at a pace he can't keep up. 

He should have been done after the Roman Reigns match simply because he's not come back for anything worthwhile since. He's had increasingly embarrassing showings in Saudi Arabia, and then the Boneyard Match that I know a lot of people liked, but that we wouldn't have missed had it not happened.

What struck me from The Last Ride was that he was speaking about the Roman Reigns match as him being definitely done, and it seems like the narrative they're going with is that he wasn't happy with that match, so wanted to come back and prove himself, rather than that he came back because the Saudi Arabia shows meant a lot of money was being thrown at him, and all he needed to do at Wrestlemania was a two minute squash that year. I suppose "I wanted to prove myself" is a much better story than "money is hard to turn down".

He says throughout that he'll stop when his body tells him to stop, but then half the episode is him reacting to his body telling him to stop by saying, "I wasn't good enough, I need to come back to prove that I can do better". He'll never stop.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Winston said:

What blows my mind is that after all this time he didn't have the perfect ending written for himself. A story that would've concluded his epic run beautifully. I've always said his final match should've been retiring undefeated at Mania or by putting over a younger talent (Bray, Roman for example)

All comes down to the horrendous decision to lose to Brock, it completely derailed his legacy and we've stumbled from one disaster to another from there.

I don't think it would have made any difference. It's pretty clear that regardless of how he "finished", Vince would always beg him to come back as soon as he needed a boost. He left his gear in the ring in what would have been a perfect send off and came back. He always would have.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

What struck me from The Last Ride was that he was speaking about the Roman Reigns match as him being definitely done, and it seems like the narrative they're going with is that he wasn't happy with that match, so wanted to come back and prove himself, rather than that he came back because the Saudi Arabia shows meant a lot of money was being thrown at him, and all he needed to do at Wrestlemania was a two minute squash that year. I suppose "I wanted to prove myself" is a much better story than "money is hard to turn down".

n.png.af71dbd88ca015bea3f7676a7bd12807.png

They must have forgot to edit Roman Reigns out of it.

Having watched the full first episode, this format is brilliant for Undertaker. I started watching his interview on The Bump earlier and I had to tap out after a few minutes because of the y’knows, but in a documentary where it’s not just him talking, it’s not as bad.

Seeing his insides was a bit grim, but fair play to him, the mad old fucker. What a contradictory existence. He wants people to tell him when it’s time to pack it in, but he’s too respected for anyone to do that. So he’s saying he’ll retire when he can’t go anymore, but any performance that tells him that, just motivates him to have another go to make up for it. Then if he has an alright one, he thinks he’s got more in the tank still.

I’m still so shocked and fascinated by seeing so far behind the curtain with him.

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

I had to tap out after a few minutes because of the y’knows

He wants people to tell him when it’s time to pack it in, but he’s too respected for anyone to do that.

After seeing him casually chatting to Roman and dropping a few y'knows, i wonder if nobody brings that to his attention for the same reason. Also, i wonder if he watches his interviews back and cringes in the same manner as he was watching the Roman match back when he realises just how frequently he does it.

This shit is going to be fascinating. Sorta gold the network exists for. So glad WWE just film bloody everything so stuff like this is possible. Catching moments like that bit with Triple H in gorilla at WrestleMania 31. Incredible.

Contradictory existence is bang on. He's stuck in a total loop now. You really, really got the impression from that, that everyone there felt it was time, but wouldn't dare tell him as such. Austin knows.

Already one of my favourite things on the Network ever. Gripping from start to finish. Definitely reiterated that the Roman match should've been the last. Although anything post-Brock is arguably forgettable.

Crazy to think how much he has put himself through. You can see why he's held in such high regard. Also crazy to see Jericho like that just 3 years ago.

• Paid Members

It only stops when Vince stops phoning him up for another big pay day. Given how well the Boneyard match went, Vince and Taker can squeeze another 5 years out of his failing body. I think it was Ian that pointed out they can get the likes of Sting back for it too.

It was indeed good shit. Who knew Taker limping around and shaking hands would be so engrossing? 

7 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Also crazy to see Jericho like that just 3 years ago.

Yes! What the fuck, did WWE used to keep him on a strict diet or assign someone to look after him or something? It’s mad how much he’s let himself go since leaving.