UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Harris - May 16 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

DC said on his show with Helwani that he feels he was finding it so easy against Stipe early doors that he lost respect for him, which meant he completely ditched his wrestlefuck game plan and decided he could knock him out again. Not sure I 100% buy that, but DC definitely seemed to ignore his coaches and the early game plan the more the fight went on. That's not Stipe's fault though, he started to make adjustments and found a massive hole (DC's belly button) in the stand up.

Outside of Jones moving up, DC/Stipe 3 and Stipe/Ngannou 2 are the fights at HW that makes the cock get a little fatter.

• Paid Members

Nah I don’t buy it. DC doesn’t just abandon the wrestling if it’s working. Even when it’s boring everyone shitless like in the Anderson Silva fight. If he could’ve held Stipe down for 25 minutes I think he would’ve. But although he dominated the early rounds against Stipe, I think DC probably realised it was going to take a lot of energy to hold the bigger man down the whole fight. I’ll have to rewatch the fight but I’m sure it was looking like he was starting to find it harder to take Stipe down and keep him there by the 3rd. Then Stipe went to the body and it really started going downhill. That’s how I read it. And if Cormier was starting to feel the pace already, that would explain why those body shots took effect so rapidly as well.

I don’t think it’s going to be as simple as DC just choosing to outwrestle him for 5 rounds. Stipe’s a big boy and, while he’s not on DC’s level as a pure wrestler, he’s got a clue and is good in that area. I don’t think DC suddenly just chose to stand with Stipe last time. I think he realised the cost he was paying conditioning wise by trying to pin Stipe down for long spells and wanted to get him out of there. A lesser man than Stipe would’ve been tired and softened up enough for DC to finish or at least coast against for the remainder of the fight but Stipe’s made of strong stuff. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Some questionable decisions though, no outright robberies but i thought Barboza beat Ige 29-28 and though Vera had beaten Yadong 29-28 too.

Although not questionable, because it was very close, I would've given it to Hill over Gadelha

15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’ll have to rewatch the fight but I’m sure it was looking like he was starting to find it harder to take Stipe down and keep him there by the 3rd. Then Stipe went to the body and it really started going downhill.

Yeah, all kidding about DC aside, it's not as if the fight was seeing Stipe take a hammering only for DC to come out and take the foot off the pedal. It was a more gradual turn, because I remember thinking at one point "fuck, it looks like this is swinging here," shortly before Stipe got the win.

Anik misread the 3rd round. He made out that DC had clearly won it - when in reality, it was a close round that Miocic edged. 

Had Miocic not suddenly figured out that DC was vulnerable to body shots, rounds 4 and 5 would have probably mirrored round 3 - with both fighters trading shots and Miocic getting the better of the action. 

DC isn't a 5 round fighter these days. His body is broken down from years of training at AKA and he doesn't take body shots well. His best hope against Miocic in the third fight is to catch him early on.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Late to the party here, bit I thought this was chock full of fun fights. 

Ige Vs Barboza was the battle I think we all expected it to be. I scored it for Barboza, but it was a close fight. Not the only fight that I scored opposite to the judges (thought Vera and Hill both won as well). They were all 29-28's in my book though, and if it's that close it's hard to claim a robbery. There are allowed to be close fights that different people see different ways. 

Landwehr Vs Elkins? A typical Elkins fight, where he just gets hit repeatedly in the face like he's the enemy in one of those whack-a-mole games. How Darren Elkins is supposed to win a fight anymore when his face just rips apart at the sight of a pair of gloves, I have no idea. Landwehr is clearly one to keep an eye on for excitement going forward. 

The main event was a rollercoaster. I expected Reem to get the win, but what a topsy turvy fight it turned out to be. Overeem was in serious trouble, but he was always in the fight looking for the way out of the bad situation he was in. He was present, despite the damage he took. Once he recovered, that fight was only heading one way. He's a crafty bastard is big Alistair. I think he has a run at a title shot in him, if things fall his way. I'd favour him over Lewis. He probably edges JDS In a re-match. DC isn't fighting more than once. Reem off of a couple of wins could be the most deserving contender for a Ngannou/Stipe champion sometime next year. There's Curtis Blaydes if Stipe beats both DC and Francis, but if it's Ngannou? Blaydes isn't getting the shot. 

Edited by WeeAl