UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Harris - May 16 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

☹️

All credit to Overeem for somehow getting through that hammering in the first round. Big Walt had clearly emptied the gas tank after that though and Reem being the veteran was composed and in control from then on. The end of the fight was sad to see but the post-fight was touching. Reem was in an unenviable position tonight but he had a job to do and he did it well. 

Great fucking card overall. Every fight except Jotko vs Anders delivered. Can’t be arsed to go into the judging at this hour. They seemed to disagree with my scores most of the night but there were some real close fights.

Oh and Darren Elkins face fell off again. 

D6EF22C3-A1EF-4C31-B08B-81AFF3EE1E25.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Sad to see Harris lose he handled it well. The silence and clear sadness after the stoppage was quite jarring. Not nice.

Overeem trucks on though. The guy's still dangerous and has so many ways to win fights. Not sure if there's another title run in him but if he gets the right fights he could get there. Oh, and when did he become The Demolition Man again?

Elkins/Landwehr was bananas. Gonna have some fun with Landwehr, he's clearly insane.

Some questionable decisions though, no outright robberies but i thought Barboza beat Ige 29-28 and though Vera had beaten Yadong 29-28 too.

Another good night though, any notion that fighters might be put off by the lack of crowd has been put to bed.

Edited by Egg Shen

The dude has been in the UFC for close to ten years now. That includes 18 fights, an 11-7 record, and only one actual title shot. He's fallen short at the penultimate stage so many times.

I'd love him to finally get his hands on the belt before calling it a day.

• Paid Members

The heavyweight division is so shallow that a name like 'Reem holding the belt is a good shout, even if it's just to keep it warm for Ngannou. IIRC, he was unlucky v Stipe and had him in bother really early before Stipe managed to knock him out.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

The dude has been in the UFC for close to ten years now. That includes 18 fights, an 11-7 record, and only one actual title shot. He's fallen short at the penultimate stage so many times.

I'd love him to finally get his hands on the belt before calling it a day.

the problem with Overeem is that when he loses he usually loses in spectacular, brutal fashion so it feels like the losses set him back further than most despite him always being in and around the main events.

You cant knock the guys persisitence though, absolute beast.

• Paid Members

He’s also done a great job of rebuilding his image after the PED stench was on him for years. He had a rotten spell for a while there, around the time he was losing to guys like Rothwell, and people really thought he was done. But he’s done well to come back from that. His performance against JDS was one of his best IMO. And this comeback against Harris shows he’s not the glass chin people like to make out. Like Colin says as well, he had Stipe in all kinds of trouble early in their fight. A rematch down the road somewhere would be easy to build based off that.

It’d be nice to see him with UFC gold before he retires. I think adding that to his K-1, Strikeforce and DREAM trophies/belts would be a cool way to finish up his career. 

Ngannou’s my man at Heavyweight though. There are a lot of Heavyweights I like. Stipe, Reem, Walt, JDS, Lewis, Rozenstruik, Arlovski and so on. But Ngannou seems like such a genuine babyface. He’s the new Big Nog/JDS of this decade for me. There’s something almost child-like about his personality, but wrapped up in Sagat from Street Fighter’s body. I’d love to see him as champ. 

• Paid Members

I agree. I guess in an ideal world, Stipe would beat DC then they do Stipe/Ngannou II, Francis wins the gold and sets up another massive trilogy fight. Even if DC wins (and I do expect him too), Ngannou likely fights for the vacant belt by the end of the year.

Who next for Overeem though? Derrick Lewis? The UFC may even not want him to move forward and instead match him with guys ranked beneath him. 

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Even if DC wins (and I do expect him too),

I'm picking Stipe. 

Miocic will have surely learnt from his success going to the body in the last fight. I'm surprised it took Miocic so long to figure out that DC doesn't like body shots. Jones, and to a lesser extent Josh Barnett, showed that DC can be slowed down that way. 

• Paid Members

I can see Overeem vs Lewis being next yeah. Outside chance of Overeem vs Dos Santos 2 maybe. You never know at Heavyweight. But I like Reem vs Lewis.

I’m guessing Ngannou will sit out now and wait for Stipe vs DC 3 to play out. There’s really nobody else he can beat to cement himself any further as the top contender.

Stipe vs DC 3 is a weird one for me. When you look back at both fights, Cormier was winning almost every minute of both fights combined. But I still favour Stipe. There’s the eyepoke asterisks surrounding the first fight and then Stipe took his best in the rematch and got to him in the later rounds after the body shots really started taking effect. I wouldn’t completely write DC off but I don’t know. There’s something about the way he’s talking these days that makes me think he’s not as up for it as he might’ve been 6 months ago. The fact he’s already got one foot in retirement adds to that. Plus he’s older and has had a long as fuck career when you factor in his wrestling days as well. He’s put a lot of miles on his body for a long time and I just think Stipe’s in a better place physically and mentally. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

I'm picking Stipe. 

Miocic will have surely learnt from his success going to the body in the last fight. I'm surprised it took Miocic so long to figure out that DC doesn't like body shots. Jones, and to a lesser extent Josh Barnett, showed that DC can be slowed down that way. 

Possibly but i believe DC when he says he simply got complacent against Miocic in the second fight and let Stipe back in, massive mistake but i dont think he'll make same one twice. You can't sleep on Stipe even when behind, he's come back from the brink on a couple of occasions.