Velveteen Dream scandal updates

Liam O'Rourke

5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

No because that would be Owellian levels of bullshit. Whose to say the screenshots haven’t been doctored in some way?* I could post that the Prime Minister has secretly fathered 35 kids**, but the police can’t just turn up to my house and start questioning me. They can’t investigate something unless someone goes to them saying that they want it investigating.

* Not saying they have or haven’t, nor have I seen supposed screenshots

** Hypothetical example, just in case the police are reading

It doesn't have to be the person who was victim of the crime who reports it to the Police for them to investigate it though. If someone from reddit or twitter reported it as a third party the Police would still need to make attempts to identify who the victim was and speak with them. Especially in an incident as serious as alleged sexual solicitation of a minor.

They're obviously not going to go and arrest someone directly off the back of a twitter screenshot however they would be looking to see originals on the phone of the victim and I'd imagine take his phone for forensic examination. They could also speak to twitter, cell phone providers and/or internet providers to confirm whether messages were sent and from what location.

These things take time and there's every possibility it's in the process of being investigated and the silence is whilst results of that are pending.

Even if the initial post was taken at face value as people genuinely worrying Dream was hacked and wanting to "help" him, I'd imagine the chances that not one person contacted the Police since and made them aware of the potential abuse are pretty slim. Particularly baring in mind people have called the Police in the US to report things like McDonald's running out of McNuggets.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

the police can’t just turn up to my house and start questioning me. They can’t investigate something unless someone goes to them saying that they want it investigating.

That's not true in the uk as far as I understood it. Any criminal case here is Regina Vs the defendant and the police and the CPS represent the crown on behalf of the general population.

If the police feel it's sufficient to investigate, and the CPS feel it's worth pursuing prosecution then the victims opinion on prosecution can be overruled, although it is often taken into account, and an investigation can in theory start on any reasonable suspicion of a crime having been committed regardless of that source of reasonable suspicion.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, DCW said:

WWE ran a two hour tribute show for a murderer and take Saudi Arabian blood money. I wouldn't place too much stock on what they think is acceptable.

Yeah they did, because they didn't wait for the facts to come out and had assumed it was an accident rather than murder/suicide. It's why they apologized on the next Smackdown and his name has been blacklisted ever since.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah they did, because they didn't wait for the facts to come out and had assumed it was an accident rather then murder/suicide.

I’m not sure that murder/suicide is an appropriate follow-up to an accident.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah they did, because they didn't wait for the facts to come out and had assumed it was an accident rather than murder/suicide. It's why they apologized on the next Smackdown and his name has been blacklisted ever since.

Not sure that's true, actually. We'll never know quite why they ran that show as they did but there is credible doubt on the "they didn't know" theory. Carl De Marco knew. There's no way Vince didn't. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Not sure that's true, actually. We'll never know quite why they ran that show as they did but there is credible doubt on the "they didn't know" theory. Carl De Marco knew. There's no way Vince didn't. 

I remember the story appearing on wrestling news websites a couple of hours or so before Raw was due to begin. Late evening in the UK, So they must have been having the discussions before the show was due to start. I remember the next morning that the same websites were then reporting it as a possible murder/suicide. But the breaking news had no details at all. Do you really think if they had been told by the police that it was a murder suicide they would have carried on gushing? I know it's Vince, but even I find that a stretch, especially as he had to back track on Smackdown anyway 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I remember the story appearing on wrestling news websites a couple of hours or so before Raw was due to begin. Late evening in the UK, So they must have been having the discussions before the show was due to start. I remember the next morning that the same websites were then reporting it as a possible murder/suicide. But the breaking news had no details at all. Do you really think if they had been told by the police that it was a murder suicide they would have carried on gushing? I know it's Vince, but even I find that a stretch, especially as he had to back track on Smackdown anyway 

You can read up on the timeline in old Observers. It doesn't add up that Vince wouldn't have known. 

I'm not gonna say he did or didn't, I just wouldn't go around saying with any certainty that they thought it was an accident at that point.

Some of the guys cut "tributes" like they knew too. Regal particularly. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

You can read up on the timeline in old Observers. It doesn't add up that Vince wouldn't have known. 

I'm not gonna say he did or didn't, I just wouldn't go around saying with any certainty that they thought it was an accident at that point.

Some of the guys cut "tributes" like they knew too. Regal particularly. 

Yeah I guess we’ll never know. And even if he found out just before or whilst on air, he’s not going to cancel the show is he. I think I said it in the Vice Dark Side thread that I found Regals comments odd while everyone else was gushing. He lived local though so he may have known more then most

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah I guess we’ll never know. And even if he found out just before or whilst on air, he’s not going to cancel the show is he. I think I said it in the Vice Dark Side thread that I found Regals comments odd while everyone else was gushing. He lived local though so he may have known more then most

Jericho talked about it on the documentary. And yeah, that's exactly it. Apparently, Regal's immediate assumption was that Benoit did it. Vince may not have known for sure, but it HAD to be in their minds as a possibility.