Who is lucky to still be employed?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

With all the fuss over their recent releases (which blew over fucking quickly as usual), who do you think is lucky to still be employed by WWE or whoever?

From left field, I'm going William Regal. Absolutely nothing to do with his ability, he's brilliant. But for a guy who they hired in 98, had to abandon because he was in dreadful state, fucked off to rehab again after his real man's man run (which would have been the end for many anyway), fucked up again big time and got suspended ahead of his last planned big push - that he's still there 20+ years later is testament to how much they think of him.

• Paid Members

I think Shelton Benjamin and Bo Dallas are lucky given the calibre of some of the recent releases. Neither add anything in my opinion.

Another one, although less "lucky to be employed" as "why on earth are they employed?" Is Baron Corbin. Absolutely horrible all-round character.

Gotta be Tamina. One of those people that have collected a paycheck for a really long time, and not a lot to show for it in terms of output. Other people that fit that category over the years- your Alicia Fox, Rosa Mendes, JTG, The Colons... you could find something halfway entertaining if you had a bit of a look. Tamina's got nothing. She's like a Poundland Nia Jax... and Nia's shite in her own right, what with nearly killing her fellow workers half the time, but admittedly she's had a few fun matches over the years.

Tyson Kidd still seems to employed by WWE. I know he's had an horrendous time with injuries.

He's been very unlucky......but lucky to still be picking up a pay check.

Curtis Axel.....It can't have been easy for him, most long-term wrestling fans have such fond memories of his Dad, who was very talented. He just sèems to be a big lump who is ok in the ring but nothing special, he's never looked all that comfortable in any role he's been given and lacks the charisma of his father.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Brock Goldberg said:

Tyson Kidd still seems to employed by WWE. I know he's had an horrendous time with injuries.

He's been very unlucky......but lucky to still be picking up a pay check.

He’s a producer. He’s a man who’s just obsessed with wrestling if I remember correctly from watching the earlier seasons of Total Divas. Probably the only role he could do. I don’t think he’d step in the ring and be a trainer. 

Has to be Aliyah down in NXT. They’ve cut some of the crap recently that’s been hanging around for years like Tino Sabbatelli and Dan Matha. How she’s still there baffles me. She hasn’t improved one bit. 

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

With all the fuss over their recent releases (which blew over fucking quickly as usual)

What you mean by blown over? I still think they are dicks for making unnecessary cuts, always will do as well. Are people supposed to mention it in every post to show they still think it was a shit thing to do?

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

What you mean by blown over?

I mean what I said. It's yesterday's news. Like the scandalous Ashley Massaro story was last year. It's a day or two of "Vince is a cunt", a meaningless hashtag and then on to the next PPV. None of these things hurt their business. No wonder Vince doesn't give a shit, he's teflon.

18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I mean what I said. It's yesterday's news. Like the scandalous Ashley Massaro story was last year. It's a day or two of "Vince is a cunt", a meaningless hashtag and then on to the next PPV. None of these things hurt their business. No wonder Vince doesn't give a shit, he's teflon.

Completely true. There's very little that doesn't blow over eventually, and most of it lasts a few days and then the world looks at something else.

• Paid Members

I’ve just been thinking about the state of WWE currently with Vinces conference call from yesterday. The only thing that will bring down WWE, is WWE themselves. AEW / NJPW / Impact / other will not bring them down, it will be the pig headedness of the company as a whole.

They are now saying if Florida backpeddles on the decision to allow them to run, then they will just move to another state who will be ‘happy’ for them to run there.

I’ll hold my hands up to being a complete WWE fanboy until recently. I don’t really like much other wrestling, have AEW a go, but it’s not for me. The only reason I still watch WWE on occasion is out of habit over the last 30 years, but even I can’t stand the company and how things are going. It seems Vince is losing control with everything as of late, the bribery, cover ups and scandals seem to be every other day now.

I agree with Rick, the outrage for a certain Subject such as the Ashley Massaro stuff last year, only ever lasts for a few days then it’s forgotten about. 

Not that it ever will, but I feel that if WWE falls, the whole wrestling industry will follow. I don’t even think AEW could capitalise on it.

without WWE, the next generation of fans will be a whole lot lower and will filter down as far as local shows.

Ryder is a good example of someone that never gave up hope, kept getting into better and better shape, buying new ring gear etc, but in hindsight he should've left years ago and could've been back by now in a better position (like drew did) but that's a bigger topic for another day.

Guys like Axel who never seem to improve , should be gone, I get wwe needs jobbers but even they need refreshed after awhile.

Hiring guys so young at times can hinder them because wwe think the have them forever if they want them, which means guys could be around for 15-20 years before getting into there 40s

2 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Not that it ever will, but I feel that if WWE falls, the whole wrestling industry will follow. I don’t even think AEW could capitalise on it.

without WWE, the next generation of fans will be a whole lot lower and will filter down as far as local shows.

I think it is possible that WWE does fail to be honest. Not sure what could trigger it, it would have to be huge but I do think they could collapse in on themselves. Probably take Vince dying, causing stock prices to plummet while loads of dodgy stories come out so damaging to the brand that TV companies to want to distance themselves. 
People don’t set up big wrestling promotions because there is no point competing with WWE. If they went out of business and the market was flooded with free agents we would get another money man seeing the opportunity to cash in

Jinder Mahal. He brings absolutely nothing to the table, even as a lower midcard level heel. 

@Jacko - I promise I’m not trying to be contrarian but I honestly think they’re missing a trick with Rawley. He’s pretty damn good on the mic, particularly as a heel. His ring work seems solid enough these days too. 

4 hours ago, Brock Goldberg said:

Regal seems well respected but he's been given a fair few chances over the years. I think he's admitted in the past that he's been very lucky through his difficult times.

It's often mentioned he's friends with HHH? Are they close?

Yes he's mates with Triple H & plays the corporate game well. He has also done a cracking job of developing talent as well. 

But Regal is great example of a wrestler who overcame the odds, when a lot of his colleagues were dropping like flies. It really does "babyface" the WWE when it comes to accusations of not monitoring their wrestlers who were ticking time bombs (not in recent times, but when they first moved Regal into the office) & could have used him in court, as a good example of "nothing being their fault" if the shit hit the fan & someone tried to close the WWE down because of drug related issues.

So that is the main reason i think Regal has survived? It will be interesting if who would be let go, if NXTUK goes pop? Because Regal & all of his mates are heavily involved in that project.