Wrestlers who peaked on their debut

HarmonicGenerator

Carlito's gotta be a big one. Debuted by winning the US Title off John Cena, who was just a few months away from winning his first WWE Championship at WM21. Then he fucked up his shoulder, still managed to get involved in Piper's Pit with Austin and Hot Rod- which would top the debut if he didn't get easily annihilated by the legends... but it was all downhill after that. They had him win the IC title in his first Raw match, but it was nowhere near as impactful as the first one, and he spent the next five years aimlessly floating around the midcard and tag division, getting easily destroyed any time he came near an actual star like Cena or HHH.

He remained fairly over for a long time, but it was fairly clear he couldn't be arsed. Shame, because the debut had him looking like a million bucks.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Paid Members

Does Fandango count? Debut match at Wrestlemania, beats Chris Jericho clean, whole arena singing his music the following night, slowly turns into a complete nothing over the next few years.

Anyone saying Chris Jericho needs to re-watch his debut, followed by some of his 2008 stuff, particularly with HBK. The debut gets worse with age, proper hammy and campy, whereas that stuff with Shawn remains some of the best stuff the company ever did. By the time they got to their final match I can’t remember the last time I truly wanted to see a heel get hurt. Shawn could’ve fully murdered him that night and it wouldn’t have felt out of place or unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Does Fandango count? Debut match at Wrestlemania, beats Chris Jericho clean, whole arena singing his music the following night, slowly turns into a complete nothing over the next few years.

worst of all they made him support Everton, and I know from experience how bad that can be psychologically

I'd put a shout in for Sting in this. Debuted at Survivor Series 'ending' the Authority. Finally getting that debut after it being rumoured for years. Then they had the build up to the Mania match with Triple H with WWE repeatedly drilling the narrative that WE BEAT WCW. Which naturally you'd assume would lead to Sting winning at Mania. Instead the commentators spent the majority of the match continuing the narrative that WCW LOST and then so did Sting. One more Pay Per View match after that where he lost to Rollins, got injured and ended his career. 

• Paid Members

Looking at it slightly differently, but there was only one way The Giant could go in WCW after beating the biggest star wrestling had ever seen and winning the world title on his debut.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Goldberg never looked better than the night he came in after Mania either.

During that run, sure. But his Brock feud is the best thing he's done since WCW. His 'superhero' promo and both Brock matches were superb. 

• Paid Members

Sting would normally be a good shout but I’m a sucker for that statue angle he did with Seth. Such dumb fun. When I think back on Sting’s WWE run that was easily the highlight for me.

49652CA5-DD40-441B-BA71-7C6FEE6FC0EE.gif.dcdde62c5bc7619407482030aee53fdb.gif

I’m not having Goldberg. Even during his initial run. Sure, it all turned to shit in the end, but that five to ten minutes when he was wrecking everyone in the Elimination Chamber at Summerslam was way better than his debut. And then if you look at his WWE career as while? Well, you know, the thing with Brock at Survivor Series remains the best thing that company has done in decades. Maybe ever.

Edited by Supremo

I always thought Jericho's debut was crap once the countdown, cool music/video/pyro stopped and you saw him dressed like a twat with his hair tied up in a bun. He was trying too hard on the mic too. He definitely peaked either in April 2000 when he pinned H for the title, or when he beat Rock for the WCW title at No Mercy 2001.

I've been watching 2001 on the network this week & DDP's debut was such a waste. He was over as fuck when he unmasked and then was immediately lumbered with being Taker's big chinned wifes stalker (despite DDP being married to fucking Kimberley!) and then Taker being in his dickhead WCW burial mode for 2001.They could have had him come in and diamond cut Jericho or Angle and start a good feud, but no, they fucked him on the first night.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Callum1993 said:

I'd put a shout in for Sting in this. Debuted at Survivor Series 'ending' the Authority. Finally getting that debut after it being rumoured for years. Then they had the build up to the Mania match with Triple H with WWE repeatedly drilling the narrative that WE BEAT WCW. Which naturally you'd assume would lead to Sting winning at Mania. Instead the commentators spent the majority of the match continuing the narrative that WCW LOST and then so did Sting. One more Pay Per View match after that where he lost to Rollins, got injured and ended his career. 

Best of all was Sting cutting a promo about how the match wasn't about WWE vs WCW, but about him vs The Authority. Which then got completely ignored by the commentators who just wanted to talk about how WWE won, 14 years after the fact.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

During that run, sure. But his Brock feud is the best thing he's done since WCW. His 'superhero' promo and both Brock matches were superb. 

Yeah, if it's a whole the second run is a belter. 

He was incredible in the chamber but it's soured by the finals sucking the air out of the room as only Trips can. So that definitely doesn't work for me, brother.

• Paid Members

The angle Goldberg did with Brock at No Way Out 2004 was belting too. Sitting front row, slowly getting up, brawling and then looking a million dollars getting arrested. It’s easy to forget considering what a shambles the Wrestlemania 20 match was, but some of the build up for that bout was brilliant. It’s no wonder they had the feud of the century twelve years later.

I know the whole Invasion counts, probably, but every single ECW lad in that beatdown on RAW when Dreamer and RVD debuted. Could take out the Dudleyz but only til the end of that episode of RAW and RVD got sort of there eventually but even then he made a balls of that. Have to say though at 13 I was really lying to myself quite badly about the upward mobility potential of Jerry Lynn.