VOA's

ThumpSquids

I'm considering taking up a new hobby, and I've always had something of an interest in voice over. I know a few people who make a living recording from home, one in particular does quite well, banging out VO for corporate videos, computer games and audio-books.

Anyone here had any experience in this, or have any tips for a rookie?

Be prepared that you're diving into an incredibly over-saturated market.  I must get half a dozen LinkedIn requests a week from VO artists.

Yes, you can do it from home if you shell out some money to sound treat a room, buy a decent microphone etc. otherwise you'll sound like crap.  Lots of VO artists tend to go into recording studios (mainly London) for their clients (although not at the moment obvs!)

There are companies that you can sign up to, that you upload clips of your voice with descriptions and soundalike details.  So if I'm looking for a particular type of voice I can search for "female, American, young" and then listen to maybe 50 clips.

Ultimately you will need to build a network of clients, and agencies who know you and tout you to clients, and then it's through those networks that you'll get the most work!

Don't let that put you off though!  If you've got an interesting or unusual voice, you should give it a try.  Definitely start by investigating the online agencies.