Money in the Bank

Your Fight Site

I actually enjoyed it. The opener was fast paced, if a little rough in bits. Braun and Bray worked hard and told a decent story with room for The Fiend to appear and step things up a bit in the next stage of the feud. Drew and Seth were good. Worked well together, Claymore is well over as a proper finisher, although the unusual handshake at the end was a bit jarring considering the beatings they have given Drew recently. 
The MITB Match was pretty entertaining. Some fun cameos, glad Otis and Asuka won, although I did wonder where half the women suddenly disappeared to near the end. AJ does nothing for me. Really doesn’t. Maybe it’s his “soccer mom” haircut, or Bee Gees beard, but for me all he is is a physically talented guy. His personality, heel or face, is arrogant and hard to buy into. 

and the run time of the show 😍. Those 2 1/2 hours flew by. Makes a welcome change to the marathons we are used to getting. 

Just now, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Nah he’s just that much of a thick cunt

Oh don't get me wrong, the gimmick is still pants and is still rooted in very real opinion, but not everyone of his ilk arbitrarily logs in and takes a dump without foreknowledge and perhaps even gleeful anticipation of the kind of reactions it's going to prompt. 

If there is no self awareness to it, of course, then it's a monument to bafflement. 

4 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Oh don't get me wrong, the gimmick is still pants and is still rooted in very real opinion, but not everyone of his ilk arbitrarily logs in and takes a dump without foreknowledge and perhaps even gleeful anticipation of the kind of reactions it's going to prompt. 

If there is no self awareness to it, of course, then it's a monument to bafflement. 

Having seen him reffing wrestling matches I would be inclined to agree that it is not a gimmick at all. 

Just now, Joe Blog said:

Having seen him reffing wrestling matches I would be inclined to agree that it is not a gimmick at all. 

That's fair enough. The fact that he only surfaces to do this shit has beguiled me into some edgy, alternative view. 

• Paid Members

The Money in the Bank match was undeniably better than the majority of the stuff they’ve done in the no-fans era, and I appreciate the effort, but more than anything it just further emphasised how all of this has happened at the absolute worst time for this company.

They’ve never had a bigger roster of paper-thin, one-note characters with absolutely zero redeeming qualities. Worse still, they seem to have beaten the spirit and individuality out of almost everyone playing these characters, so you don’t even get glimpses of their real personalities shining through.

And so this is what you end up with. The perfect setting to have funny interactions and daft moments, but presented in the same charm-less, sanitised, lowest-common-denominator WWE style that sucks all the fun out of it. They’re just not good with comedy at all. They’ve completely lost the ability to be endearing or to position themselves and the audience as being equally in on the joke. It’s like your Dad trying to sit down and have a laugh with your mates.

Dana Brooke slipping on a wet floor. Man alive. A million miles from Sammy Guevara getting hit by a golf cart or Chris Jericho putting a traffic cone on his head in the middle of a fight.

Even though it made them look like a pair of geeks, the thing in Vince’s office with Daniel Bryan and AJ was still the best bit for the simple reason that Bryan is one of the few people where his real-life personality still shines through. It doesn’t matter how stupid the material, he’s always able to have a subtle smirk on his face, like he’s genuinely enjoying this stupid, daft job he has. It’s super endearing. And then on the other side of the spectrum was that thing with Stephanie McMahon. Fucking hell. Dreadful. Is it any wonder this company is as dull and lacking in charm when she’s running the gaff?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Plus she had clearly not even bothered to show up on the day and had filmed it on her phone or something and they'd inserted it in afterwards. 

WWE put so much thought and effort into doing the laziest things possible.

AJ Styles being afraid of a photo of The Undertaker is probably the worst moment of his career.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the weird psychological warfare in the Bray/Braun match, it was almost sexy when Braun took his shirt off and submitted to him and they started touching each other.

I really liked it when King Corbin smashed the mirror and went a bit weird for a sec, I also liked it when he killed two guys a bit later on. That case was as good as his though, bloody Asuka.

Like someone said though, Sasha's outfit was still the real highlight.

• Paid Members

Yeah was there supposed to be some meaning behind Corbin having a bit of a frazzle when he smashed the mirror? 

Only ideas I could get were smashing through the glass ceiling (not likely) or character wise "oh god the McMahons are gonna kill me". 

Just seemed all a bit strange with no real explanation. 

Some of the cameos of the higher ups still working were all a bit bizarre too. But I still quite enjoyed it. 

• Paid Members

Seeing their attempt to be zany here, it failing miserably, it’s becoming more and more apparent that the charm of the Boneyard match came from the fact that no-one involved was playing it for laughs.

Everyone behind the Boneyard match seemingly thought they were making some high-end action movie and the joy came from the gap between what they thought they were making and what it actually was.

Clearly, the only way for them to succeed at campy DDT-style silliness is to bring Taker and Triple H in to take it super serious, give them a huge budget and the rights to a Metallica track, letting them make daft nonsense by accident.

Edited by Supremo

21 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Yeah was there supposed to be some meaning behind Corbin having a bit of a frazzle when he smashed the mirror? 

Only ideas I could get were smashing through the glass ceiling (not likely) or character wise "oh god the McMahons are gonna kill me". 

Just seemed all a bit strange with no real explanation. 

Some of the cameos of the higher ups still working were all a bit bizarre too. But I still quite enjoyed it. 

When it first smashed and he looked at it like “oh shit” I thought he was just scared he was in trouble. But when it held on his reaction for a bit then cut away, I got my hopes up that he’d opened a portal and he’d be getting up to some madness shortly. But it was just nothing.

There were a few bits like that in the match, where it was unclear as to what was actually meant to be happening. It could’ve done with commentary to help the storytelling on that front.

Decent show, though. I’ve quite enjoyed the PPVs and a lot of SmackDowns in the empty venue run. Raw is dire, mind. Being three hours long with a very limited roster and an already dull output is amplified a lot by the silence.