20 members have voted

1. 1. Choice to Watch By Next Tuesday

• Snowpiercer (Prime)
    • Maximum Overdrive (Daily Motion)
    • Blue Jean Cop/Shakedown (YT)
    • Sebastiane (YT)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Paid Members

Wouldn't it be best to put up a poll of the submissions (including where they would be viewed) and give it until tomorrow to announce which one is picked. Then everyone can get whatever's picked over the weekend.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

For those that actually want to play along, the only sensible option is Snowpiercer for the first movie. Currently available on Amazon Prime. I will put a poll up in the first post

Why is snowpiercer more sensible than Sebastiane? Sebastiane is an important taboobusting work by one of the finest avant garde film makers in history. Surely a film club is to watch challenging or important cinema and discuss the themes involved? Like a book club is. 

Or its not a club. It's a thread in which we watch whatever soapdish decides and sy if it's shit or not? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Also, I'd have thought most people would have seen Snowpiercer. I've seen it twice and although I think it's great, I don't really want to watch it for a third time. It would be better choosing films that the majority probably haven't seen, like Sebastiane or Blue Jean Cop.

I've seen Blue Jean Cop but I don't mind watching it again as it's a savage pastiche of the late 20th century judicial dialectic.

Are we just sticking with Glickenhaus' earlier works, like Blue Jean Cop or Maniac Cop (his "cop" period) or looking at his controversial later output like Timemaster?

• Paid Members

Just watching Sebastiane now. Just so you know the version on youtube doesn't have English subs. You can use the YouTube close caption function and you might get the gist.

Alternatively it's on Amazon Instants BFI channel which has a 30 day free trial and is in HD with proper subs.

Also available on the Internet Archive with subs.

https://archive.org/details/Sebastiane

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

That link took a while to start playing but it does work.

Just realised I saw a bit of this in Drama class about 20 odd years ago, so I was aware of it, but can't remember much so this will be an interesting revisit.

How do we play this? Discussion from Tuesday, or shall we allow discussion / spoilers from now and people just post back here once they have seen it?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That link took a while to start playing but it does work.

Just realised I saw a bit of this in Drama class about 20 odd years ago, so I was aware of it, but can't remember much so this will be an interesting revisit.

How do we play this? Discussion from Tuesday, or shall we allow discussion / spoilers from now and people just post back here once they have seen it?

I think whoever finishes it first starts a new thread with full spoilers and people can jump in as and when. Then Tuesday the next suggestions start.

• Paid Members

So is there any point to doing new picks? Looks like Scorch and I were the only folk to watch the first pick.

• Paid Members

So it's a 'film I already want to watch club' now. Shit I do that all the time.