My finest match

kamicazze

Self explanatory, you give a wreslters finest match in your opinion. Some people have a catalogue whereas others have one standout. 

Rob Van Dam - having a fair few honourable mentions across a few companies, who can forget the title win vs Cena at one night stand. Yet his standout match is with Jerry Lynn at living dangerously in 1999. Like scenes out of the matrix, counter after counter countered then reversed where each man knew one another, it was breathtaking stuff. You could even say it redefined a style of wrestling paving the way for the workhorses of the future. They met numerous more times in their great rivalry yet this was the best.

Coming in at around 25 minutes if you scrap the entrances, its perfect to rewatch on a lunch break when working from home 

• Awards Moderator

I have interpreted the thread title a little differently - and started thinking about which wrestler's match was the most "fine". As in, not particularly great, not bad, but ... "fine".

Rob Van Dam is a pretty good candidate for that kind of match. I don't think he really had a match that was anything other than "fine" from about 2003 after the Triple H/Michaels matches until the ECW revival in 2006 with the Cena match and that surprisingly great TV one with Hardcore Holly.

I'd give examples from the time in between but it was all so "fine" that I don't really remember it one way or the other - and RVD was always one of my favourites (Living Dangerously 99 is also my favourite match of his though I haven't seen it since I used to watch it over and over on his One Of A Kind DVD). He teamed with Rey Mysterio for a bit ... and Booker T for a bit ... and ... I'm sure some other stuff that was also fine...?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Naoya Ogawa - for a guy pushed hard in New Japan, the finest match I've seen of his is against Dan Severn in North Richland Hills, TX from a 1999 NWA loop tour when he was the champion. Real man-sized stuff, the wrestling of Bill Watts' dreams. Ogawa turns up in his gi and they have this grappling match that more rugged and American than a UWF/Rings type match. The match isn't historically significant, I don't think it is terribly influential, and it has a flat ending, but the actual work in the match is very good and suggested a type of wrestling that could have emerged in the uncertainty of MMA hoovering a portion of the wrestling audience.

• Paid Members

My favourite RVD match was when he won the TV title against Bam Bam Bigelow. Bam Bam spends the match hammering the shit out of him, RVD hits him with some mental dives, gets a fluke win by interference from Sabu. The match has a really hot crowd too.

31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

My favourite RVD match was when he won the TV title against Bam Bam Bigelow. Bam Bam spends the match hammering the shit out of him, RVD hits him with some mental dives, gets a fluke win by interference from Sabu. The match has a really hot crowd too.

Yeah I seen that match really good

• Paid Members

When I first started getting the ECW Delta DVDs, I was reading reviews and I’d always hear about the Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn series. Still remember the first batch of DVDs I got off Amazon. Me and my brother chipped in and got Barely Legal 97, Heatwave 98, Living Dangerously 99, Hardcore Heaven 99 and Anarchy Rulz 99.

We were hooked after that lot. And the RVD vs Lynn matches were one of the highlights. As I recall, the second match at Hardcore Heaven got rave reviews but I always preferred the Living Dangerously one. It might well be RVD’s best match although I was always fond of the Bigelow match in 98, the Jeff Hardy match at Invasion and he had a cracking short match with Tajiri on Raw in 2001 that I loved at the time. 

Not sure how any of them hold up with ‘2020 vision’ though. I’ve never gone back to that stuff whereas I can watch much earlier matches from 80s-early 90s WWF, WCW, Mid South etc and still enjoy it. I think RVD, most of the original ECW lot actually, were very much for that time. I’d still probably enjoy some of it, but it was very late 90s/early 2000s. The era when The Undertaker was coming out to Limp Bizkit, for fuck’s sake. I doubt ECW would be as much to my tastes as it was when I was 14-16.

• Paid Members

I forgot all about that, was a cracker.

On the subject of ECW, whenever I ordered DVDs I always hoped the packaging would be discreet. Last thing you’d want to hear is your mum shouting up the stairs that your parcel of ‘Barely Legal’, ‘Hardcore Heaven’ and ‘Big Ass Extreme Bash’ had arrived. 

Thinking off the top of my head, my favourite RVD match was a brawl he had with Bam Bam Bigelow that appeared on one of the ECW videos back in the day. Think RVD took the TV title off him. Good match with a bit of everything, summed up what I liked about ECW. 

1 hour ago, LEGIT said:

Thinking off the top of my head, my favourite RVD match was a brawl he had with Bam Bam Bigelow that appeared on one of the ECW videos back in the day. Think RVD took the TV title off him. Good match with a bit of everything, summed up what I liked about ECW. 

Yeah LaGoosh mentioned it 6 posts up.