Surprising pops

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't if this exactly fits in this category but here goes: I remember seeing on the Wrestling Channel a match from ROH that was a 4 corners match with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, and Steve Corino. At the time Corino as part of his gimmick was making the ring announcer read out all the people who had held the title that he held. I dont remember the title exactly but I think it was the NWA Southern States Heavyweight Title. Anyway as the announcer is going through the list the crowd are lightly booing or cheering each name, until he reads out Lex Luger. At this point the crowd booed the ever loving shit out of the name Lex Luger at a volume about 50 times higher than any other name. You could see Daniels laugh and go "Wow" No one expected that amount of Lex hate. 

Now I don't remember which show that was from, if anyone does I would appreciate a heads up.

• Paid Members
On 4/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't if this exactly fits in this category but here goes: I remember seeing on the Wrestling Channel a match from ROH that was a 4 corners match with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, and Steve Corino. At the time Corino as part of his gimmick was making the ring announcer read out all the people who had held the title that he held. I dont remember the title exactly but I think it was the NWA Southern States Heavyweight Title. Anyway as the announcer is going through the list the crowd are lightly booing or cheering each name, until he reads out Lex Luger. At this point the crowd booed the ever loving shit out of the name Lex Luger at a volume about 50 times higher than any other name. You could see Daniels laugh and go "Wow" No one expected that amount of Lex hate. 

Now I don't remember which show that was from, if anyone does I would appreciate a heads up.

Main Event Spectacles, 2003. I love that segment, and it's much better than the actual match that follows.

• Paid Members

If they were booing Lex Luger then it was obviously shit. Luger was fantastic.

Was watching Wrestlewar '91 last night and a predictably great little match between Brad Armstrong and Beautiful Bobby. Eaton got a *massive* cheer when he won but he was getting a great reception all through his Midnight Express run too, mostly as a heel. Again, as it should be, he was one of the greatest of all time.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Was watching Wrestlewar '91 last night and a predictably great little match between Brad Armstrong and Beautiful Bobby. Eaton got a *massive* cheer when he won but he was getting a great reception all through his Midnight Express run too, mostly as a heel. Again, as it should be, he was one of the greatest of all time.

Luger and Sid are probably the two guys who get this sort of reaction, and Meltzer is probably a big reason why because he hated both. They're both polarising. Not in a love them or hate them way but because both had a couple of periods where they absolutely live up to the worst narrative but are often a bundle of fun. And Luger especially has periods where he's really, really good.

• Paid Members

Slightly off topic, but in regards to pops, watching Cena come out last night at Mania with no crazy 50/50 boos & cheers was very odd. Even though I knew there was no one in attendance, the lack of reaction For him particular was deafening. 

Sorry, as you were.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Luger and Sid are probably the two guys who get this sort of reaction, and Meltzer is probably a big reason why because he hated both. They're both polarising. Not in a love them or hate them way but because both had a couple of periods where they absolutely live up to the worst narrative but are often a bundle of fun. And Luger especially has periods where he's really, really good.

I love Sid.

But I fucking hate Lex Luger.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I’m quite fond of the Lex Luger vs Dan Spivey match on that show as well. For two guys who supposedly aren’t much good bell-to-bell, they had a bit of a cracker, I thought. 

As for the mentions of Sid earlier in the thread, he always seemed to have that connection with the crowd no matter what was going on. The pop he got at Slamboree 93 is another one. He came in as a heel, Col Robert Parker’s hired gun, in a nothing match with fucking Van Hammer, yet the crowd went nuts for him. 

Edited by wandshogun09