Surprising pops

PowerButchi

• Moderators

So, I've made a new email address to watch Wrestlemania tomorrow, and thought I'd watch IYH:Ground Zero. And I'll be fucked by Dennis Nilsen if Brian Christopher doesn't get a huge pop. Turns out it was because the show was in Kentucky. Similar to his old man being the biggest baby face vs Goldust in June that year as it was in Evansville. 

But any other examples of someone being unexpectedly a babyface and massively so? 

• Awards Moderator

A recent one that comes to mind. It was mentioned in the Takeover Reviews thread but American Alpha were hugely over on the first NXT UK tour. Constant chants and cheering, I hadn’t heard anything quite like it, especially as they hadn’t really featured massively on the shows up to that point.

20 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

A recent one that comes to mind. It was mentioned in the Takeover Reviews thread but American Alpha were hugely over on the first NXT UK tour. Constant chants and cheering, I hadn’t heard anything quite like it, especially as they hadn’t really featured massively on the shows up to that point.

I don’t think it was that they where over per se, they’d just had a catchy chant applied to them. The Revival could’ve easily been seen as “over” if you did the same chant for them because they’re a Tag Team of guys with two syllable surnames.

@Max Power smart-arse New York crowd though wasn’t it? I mean, Sid was amazing in that 96 run and should’ve got that reaction everywhere

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Great shout. Them not being able to start their match in Blackpool for how much the crowd were going nuts singing remains one of my favourite live pro-wrestling memories. Jason Jordan looked over the moon, grinning from ear to ear, then spent the rest of the night retweeting videos of the reaction. Genuinely, in retrospect, it was probably the highlight of both guy’s careers. Being there, it definitely didn’t feel like it was just a case of it being a fun chant, either. Those guys were over.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

The obvious one for this is when Our Sid turns up in 96 - Survivor Series in particular.

"WHO'S THE MAN?".

You are.

Sid was getting huge pops as a heel in NWA / WCW during his initiial run there in 89 to 91. Pretty much every PPV he was on.

As it should be.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The Revival could’ve easily been seen as “over” if you did the same chant for them

I vividly remember the deafening "which one's Dawson / which one's Dash." 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Seeing the people pop off huge for heel Luger in '87 was a mini shocker. Easily the most over of the Four Horseman during that incarnation. The hardcore Crockett crowd seriously loved them some jacked-up dudes.

I was always dumbfounded when Luger got such a huge reaction when he did the rack as late as 98. I mean it was Austin stunning McMahon big some times.

• Paid Members

The timer counting down and Viscera coming out at Royal Rumble 2000 and the crowd gives off this great awed hush like "oooooh shit" (it's hard to put it eloquently into words). I'm sure Viscera wasn't lighting up too many arenas but it's the perfect example of the audience totally buying into the narrative of a match clearly all being invested enough to think "fuck, this guy's massive! Who's going to throw him out!?".Their reaction really added a lot to the addition of a guy I'm sure nobody thought was going to win the thing. 

9 hours ago, Supremo said:

Jason Jordan looked over the moon, grinning from ear to ear

That probably played a part in it as well. 

Years back I took an ex to see Blink 182 for her birthday at Brixton Academy. Neck Deep was supporting and I had no idea who they were so I had a look at their Instagram. They announced they were supporting by posting a screen shot of one of their posts from years ago. They were in the crowd and took a blurry photo with the caption “this is the band that have made me want to start making music, if I can achieve even a fraction of that success I’ll be happy.” The screenshot was accompanied by a caption saying “We are supporting them.”

On stage I could tell all the lads were having the time of their lives. It was so genuine that their enjoyment rubbed off on me and I went mad for them. Not listened to them since because I think they are shit, but on that beautiful night I saw some youngsters living their dream. And I was fully there with them for it. 

If the crowd could see the reaction genuinely meant a lot to American Alpha, then that would just make them cheer harder, creating a snowball effect. It is a rare lightening in a bottle moment which can’t be reproduced and only comes around every now again. 

2 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

The timer counting down and Viscera coming out at Royal Rumble 2000 and the crowd gives off this great awed hush like "oooooh shit" (it's hard to put it eloquently into words). I'm sure Viscera wasn't lighting up too many arenas but it's the perfect example of the audience totally buying into the narrative of a match clearly all being invested enough to think "fuck, this guy's massive! Who's going to throw him out!?".Their reaction really added a lot to the addition of a guy I'm sure nobody thought was going to win the thing. 

Viscera against Kane at Backlash 2005 was a surprising pop. After the match it was to be expected but there was plenty of "let's go Mabel" chants during the match.

Also, Jim Duggan entering at the business end of the 2009 Royal Rumble and being over as rover was great.

Hinder Mahal winning the belt is one of the strangest pops, certainly of recent memory. You’d expect massive boos in a “oh for fucks sake” sort of way, but they actually popped as if to say “WAHEY! VINCE HAS LOST MIND!”

Edited by WyattSheepMask