Favourite Ham & Eggers

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I like ham and eggers who dont know they are H&Es. Fucking Tatanka telling the world that the Kliq stopped him from winning the IC title at WrestleMania IX, because he was in line for a giant push. Shawn and Mr Perfect set up their feud later in the show. He wasnt losing the belt that night to anyone. Let alone Tatanka.

• Awards Moderator
41 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Echoing the Gangrel love. He did an interview with Chris Van Vliet a couple of years back. Absolutely sound bloke and some great stories in here. Didn’t realise he trained Rusev either. 

You could probably fill this entire thread with the majority WWF’s roster of 2000 midcarders. This is the point I started watching obsessively, and by this time everything they touched seemed to turn to gold one way or another. As a young’un I thought the hardcore division was mint. This man was the first person I clocked with the strap -

I thought he was the bollocks. The first time I saw him would have been a Raw or Smackdown where they went straight into one of those mental Hardcore title free-for-alls. He was beaten up for a couple of minutes, then out of nowhere started kicking and hitting the fuck out of people with those little sticks, then smashing people up with the usual hardcore paraphernalia. Loved his theme and thought he had the best nickname in the company. And the fact he was defending the belt under the 24/7 rules only made him look even more hard as nails. I was fucking furious that Raven nicked the belt off of him and he never got it back. Think he actually finished up not too long after this. 

This was all post-Shamrock feud and even the Head Cheese stuff had waned a bit by the point I started watching. So I hadn’t seen any of his previous stuff and only really saw him presented to me as if he was WWF’s very own Chuck Norris. 

Great shout. I remember him doing another odd-couple tag team with Grandmaster Sexay around May 2001 - Scotty 2 Hotty was off with a neck injury and Rikishi had done it for the Rock by then - which I remember nothing about except that I liked it. Blackman was a great deadpan straight man to more OTT cartoony characters. Then Sexay got canned and the Invasion happened and I didn’t see him again, except maybe for a Gimmick Battle Royal on Raw that he should have won.

Greg valentine in his last wwf years. 

Heres Valentine vs Perfect for the IC title in 91. Never seen it until recently 

https://youtu.be/UtoeIGZsALU

I had a bizaare fondness for the 'hammer' he was the antithesis of whom I loved back then (hogan/ warrior) yet never fast forwarded old Greg on my VHS tapes! 

For some reason I always bought he had a chance against anyone even when looking back he obviously had no chance (e.g vs Taker back in His debut year). 

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Greg valentine in his last wwf years. 

Heres Valentine vs Perfect for the IC title in 91. Never seen it until recently 

https://youtu.be/UtoeIGZsALU

I had a bizaare fondness for the 'hammer' he was the antithesis of whom I loved back then (hogan/ warrior) yet never fast forwarded old Greg on my VHS tapes! 

For some reason I always bought he had a chance against anyone even when looking back he obviously had no chance (e.g vs Taker back in His debut year). 

How about Greg Valentine’s last last WWF years when they brought him back for a bit around 2005 and he was wrestling the likes of Rob Conway on Heat?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Blackman was a great deadpan straight man to more OTT cartoony characters.

Get Blackmans bounty on the network with a special guest gimmick each week. Blackman and doink bounty hunting would get me watching. 

Was that before or after his backyarding career?

Edit: Regarding Valentine, obviously. Wish this site would warn you when someone's replied in the meantime, like some other forums do.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members

Loved Steve Blackman. Actually watched his shoot interview not that long ago and like I said about Gangrel, I usually find mid-lower card guys have pretty interesting stories to tell. I vaguely remember reading an article in a WWF magazine in 98 or something about him nearly dying from malaria in the late 80s but he went into detail on it and it sounded fucking horrific. He was stuck in bed for about 2 years. Also didn’t realise he’d done some matches for WWF in 1988 and was supposed to start full time before he got sick. 

8FFEE465-AD3B-4087-8EE8-4E4BC5D5A6EE.jpeg

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Was that before or after his backyarding career?

Edit: Regarding Valentine, obviously. Wish this site would warn you when someone's replied in the meantime, like some other forums do.

It does. On desktop anyway. 

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

Loved Steve Blackman. Actually watched his shoot interview not that long ago and like I said about Gangrel, I usually find mid-lower card guys have pretty interesting stories to tell. I vaguely remember reading an article in a WWF magazine in 98 or something about him nearly dying from malaria in the late 80s but he went into detail on it and it sounded fucking horrific. He was stuck in bed for about 2 years. Also didn’t realise he’d done some matches for WWF in 1988 and was supposed to start full time before he got sick. 

He actually debuted back in 1987.  I found this article several months ago from October 1987 when spending far too much time on newspapers.com.  I don't think the information is on thehistoryofwwe website just yet, but should be in the next update as I sent this, and several dozen more clippings of "new" results to Richard Land last month.

19871020-Lebanon-PA-2-The-Daily-News-Leb

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

It does. On desktop anyway. 

Now that you mention it, yes - but not always. So frequently I try to do the right thing by not quoting the post immediately above mine, only to wish I had because the little notice didn't pop up in time.

• Paid Members

DlIe3GzW4AIwLz5.jpg

Any excuse to post this again. Blackman was indeed the absolute man. I remember an amazing sketch when he and Al Snow went to an old folk's home with Blackman doing some stand up comedy.

As for Gangrel, he has unironically always been one of my all-time favourites. Always went him in the Smackdown games as a kid and thought everything about him was badass - the look, the blood, the theme and that amazing Impaler DDT I've never seen done so well. Every year I watch the Royal Rumble in the hope of Gangrel making a surprise appearance but I'm always left disappointed. 

In terms of lower middle card I always look back with fondness of Taka Mitchinoku, especially his early run (97 maybe) in the Lightheavyweight division. I also really like heel Brian Christopher from this time. 

Taka was a great worker. I find it hard to explain but when you compare someone like him to say, the Young Bucks, it's everything and nothing. Despite similarities in offence and that everything Taka did seemed more real. Maybe it's to do with selling and pacing, but a Taka spot fest I enjoy whereas a Young Bucks one I don't. 

Brian Christopher was a good charismatic all rounder. I know he's most remembered for Too Cool, but I liked him best during his heel run with his dad. I also liked when him and Scotty were called Too Much, even if they were jobbers. He was much more natural as a heel.