Disney Plus

Weezenal

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is it a case of Pixar know they're never going to have a cinematic release, so they're just going to keep putting these kinds of movies out now? Or is it a case of Disney knows Pixar is money, so keeps the on the streaming platform to try and bring the subscriptions in? 

If Lightyear gets bumped to Streaming, they are fucked. But I doubt it will. Turning Red was an interesting one because they had to make a decision on the cinema release not being affected by another cinema closure due to omicron. They blinked and pulled it when we now know it was unnecessary now. 

The other issue with kids films is promotion. So with films like Soul, Luca and Raya McDonalds tie ins, advertising and toys all have street dates so if you don’t release your film, the merchandise sits on shelves. Case in point, Minions 2 was due out summer 2020. It’s now coming out this year but the Toys and McDonalds promotions have already happened and the toys in the toys shops here they have been marked down because there shelf space will already be earmarked for this years toys. 

Soul and Turning Red especially seem to have been better to have been sacrificed based on the backlash they recieved. Both would have struggled if they were held back and released properly.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

32 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The other issue with kids films is promotion. So with films like Soul, Luca and Raya McDonalds tie ins, advertising and toys all have street dates so if you don’t release your film, the merchandise sits on shelves. Case in point, Minions 2 was due out summer 2020. It’s now coming out this year but the Toys and McDonalds promotions have already happened and the toys in the toys shops here they have been marked down because there shelf space will already be earmarked for this years toys. 

How does this work with Disney closing nearly all of their stores? Is it all online?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

How does this work with Disney closing nearly all of their stores? Is it all online?

Disney merchandise is sold everywhere. They make “Disney Store Exclusive” products, but most of their toys are made by Jakks, Mattel and Hasbro so Smyths, The Entertainer, supermarkets etc. Infact the reason why they closed the retail stores is so much of the range could be sold anywhere and the exclusive stuff could be bought on-line or in the parks.

There’s an actual backlash from Turning Red? As in people are angry that a girl starting a menstrual cycle might be depicted as a big red fluffy panda? Surely that’s not a real thing and only exists within the weird twitter bubble of everything being worst/best thing ever.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

There’s an actual backlash from Turning Red? As in people are angry that a girl starting a menstrual cycle might be depicted as a big red fluffy panda? Surely that’s not a real thing and only exists within the weird twitter bubble of everything being worst/best thing ever.

ignore

30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Disney merchandise is sold everywhere. They make “Disney Store Exclusive” products, but most of their toys are made by Jakks, Mattel and Hasbro so Smyths, The Entertainer, supermarkets etc. Infact the reason why they closed the retail stores is so much of the range could be sold anywhere and the exclusive stuff could be bought on-line or in the parks.

The reason they closed the retail stores was to save money. My girlfriend has recently received an autism diagnosis (Only took 30 years but hey!). Going into town was always overwhelming for her so we always made a point of going to the Disney Store as it was a happy and safe place for her. We saw a sign saying it was closing and she was visibly upset. A “Cast member” noticed this and told her that the shop was only magical because the magic was inside her and now she needs to keep that magic going. It was such a lovely kind thing to do and I really hope the staff found work because they really were brilliant. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The reason they closed the retail stores was to save money. My girlfriend has recently received an autism diagnosis (Only took 30 years but hey!). Going into town was always overwhelming for her so we always made a point of going to the Disney Store as it was a happy and safe place for her. We saw a sign saying it was closing and she was visibly upset. A “Cast member” noticed this and told her that the shop was only magical because the magic was inside her and now she needs to keep that magic going. It was such a lovely kind thing to do and I really hope the staff found work because they really were brilliant. 

Oh of course financials were the main driver. They have done the same across Europe and the US with only a few major city stores remaining (Dublin and NYC I know are both still open as is London Oxford St). But their range of exclusive stuff has been dwindling and more have been farmed out.

Regardless of how people feel about the company, the retail employees were generally amazing. They did store openings every day with a ceremony and you got to open the store with a massive key and you would get to keep a small sized version as a mememnto. And the staff doing it were always great and surprisingly helpful if you couldn't find something. 

Glad to hear you girlfriend got a diagnosis. I have been told at 38 I don't need a diagnosis because "I seem to be doing ok" but we had to fight for years to get an assement for my daughter because she was nothing like her younger brother who is on the severe end of Autism with his diagnosis. So frustrating. For what its worth, and seeing how these shops can be a safe space, I think it was a small minded decision from a company making lots of stupid decisions recently.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Kaitlyn is obviously extreme but every film has shit like that on the IMDB parental guide. Disney have probably long made peace with not being able to please all the Bible Belt bellends.

Oh I agree. And it’s certainly the biggest complaint I’ve seen. But look on Facebook or on IMDB/Letterboxd at the 1 star reviews and most have some variation of her issues or have someone saying they couldn’t relate as they had never been a 13 year old girl 

Which is what this guy said. He is the managing director of Cinema Blend. He’s removed his review now from the site after the backlash. Weirdly he didn’t have the same complaint with Nicolas Cages new movie where he plays himself.

His review is gone, a new review by a female is up, but this was from his original image.png.a82c1ab2b5394c1d54f756c88c62b990.png