Sign in to follow this  
Weezenal

Disney Plus

15 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

That Hamilton is pretty bloody good.  Some absolute bangers as the young folks would say these days.

I watched it before work this morning. So pleased to finally be able to put the music to the acting.

Some on twitter have been up in arms because apparently Disney have two instances of the word “fuck” from the show.

I’m going to give it a watch tomorrow. I’m not overly familiar with the show itself and the way it seemingly has to be referred to as being a “hip-hop musical” as opposed to just “musical” is a bit grating, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at least intrigued

Edited by WyattSheepMask

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Some on twitter have been up in arms because apparently Disney have two instances of the word “fuck” from the show.

I’m going to give it a watch tomorrow. I’m not overly familiar with the show itself and the way it seemingly has to be referred to as being a “hip-hop musical” as opposed to just “musical” is a bit grating, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at least intrigued

They omitted two of the fucks, keeping one intact. Though I can't say they were particularly obvious. Though it's not Disney's fault. PG-13 means only one F-Bomb in a film. Violence and gore is less of an issue in PG13 movies than naughty words, Americans are weird. still, prick and shit were both featured

I did nearly inadvertently spoil (what turned out to be the ending) for the Mrs and daughter when character X appeared and my memory fired up, but I stopped myself from saying anything out loud.

That's probably the first time that my American history A-level has come in useful.  Actually, that's harsh.  I did learn where the term "sideburns" came from.  General (Ambrose?  Abraham?) Burnside was famed for his extravagant side-whiskers and the term sideburns was coined in reference to them.

11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m not overly familiar with the show itself and the way it seemingly has to be referred to as being a “hip-hop musical”...

Not saying it definitely is, but that could also be a sly way of saying old white men are portrayed by black performers.

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

They omitted two of the fucks, keeping one intact. Though I can't say they were particularly obvious. Though it's not Disney's fault. PG-13 means only one F-Bomb in a film. Violence and gore is less of an issue in PG13 movies than naughty words, Americans are weird. still, prick and shit were both featured

"intact" in that he doesn't ever actually say it, cos it's just a long fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Admittedly, it's rhymed with another word which makes it obvious it should be fuck.

I watched it last night and it was incredible. I've seen it twice in London, and was blown away, but the original one is even better. I picked up on loads of new things that I hadn't noticed before, and the facial acting of most of the characters was super. 

I've seen a load of 'hip hop musicals' (Into The Hoods, Some Like It Hip Hop etc), and being a massive hip hop nerd I usually cringe whenever it's bought to the mainstream in a manner such as Hamilton. Not out of snobbishness or gatekeeping, but because it's just usually shit, and not very well done.

Not the case here. Hamilton is fucking great. FUCKING GREAT. 

I don't really have anything more salient to add. I loved it. The whole family did.

Enjoyed it a lot. Feels a bit harsh to say however, Lin Manuel Miranda is several steps below the rest of the cast in terms of performance and look. The guy I saw in London was a hell of a lot better. I understand that he wrote it, and he's obviously an incredibly talented man, and I'm not even saying he's bad, but in wrestling terms it felt a bit like watching a Wrestlemania where most of the top spots are filled with Hogan, Austin, the Rock and Bret Hart but the main focus is on Tommy Dreamer.

Daveed Diggs was absolutely incredible. I saw an (excellent) understudy do the Layfayette/Jefferson parts when I went, but he was something else. 

48 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've seen a load of 'hip hop musicals' (Into The Hoods, Some Like It Hip Hop etc),

And Trapped In The Closet by R Kelly of course. 

31 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And Trapped In The Closet by R Kelly of course. 

God, I forgot about that. Absolute mentalist.

@gmoney someone referred to Miranda as the "Jerry Seinfeld" of the show and fuck me, is that spot on.

Edited by SuperBacon
whats the deal with all these founding fathers?