Homeschooling (and keeping kids entertained)

PunkStep

I'm doing some BBC bitesize stuff with my 4 year old, it's great, that along with the PE thing and whatever bits his school have set (added to the fact Mrs W works for the NHS and he is at school two days a week) and hopefully he'll be ok. The 12 year old however (Asperger's ADHD and general attitude of a teenage sloth) won't be so much fun. Getting him to do the tiny amount of homework be gets every week always ends in meltdowns which invariably involve him getting violent against either me, my wife or himself. The idea attempting to get  him to stick to any kind of work routine is daunting to say the least. I'm at work every day at the moment but I'm worried my wife's going to have some kind of breakdown with the way he is.

Also 12 year olds school are useless with communication so we don't know if he'll be going in two days a week yet, they sent out a non editable pdf with a link to click if you're a key worker however as it's non editable you can't click, and when you type in the address manually it's invalid. Oh and he's changed his school email password and now "can't remember it"

Edited by Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members

Autism schooling is a whole ton of basic every day skills. Making toast, loading washing machines, helping hoover. toileting, self care ect. 

I use his school songs first thing so he knows its work time, Im also using an attention bucket mid day and taking him for a long walk for break time. 

No ipads between 9 and 3. 

Edited by quote the raven

Great idea for a thread @PunkStep and some great suggestions so far.

School for us starts on Tuesday as it's Mums birthday tomorrow so they'll be coming here tomorrow night. They've been given two weeks worth of work from the school and that includes Purple Mash work as well, so the plan is to set aside time for that every day, and then expand on topics they've been doing recently.

6yo has been studying space, and last week was learning about Tim Peake, so I'm going to focus on that for her with some creative ideas (creating a diary of an astronaut and what that would be like; food and recipes that they could perhaps come up with), and will be looking for some docs and resources surrounding the moon landing.

10yo has been learning about all sorts of things, including Brooklands Race Track (local history), so will be working on that with her, and she's also been focusing on rollercoasters (gravity and propulsion?), so am going to design our own ones as well.

Creative work wise, I save all of my old toilet roll holders anyway (never far away from the shitting threads) for them to take to school, so have been saving boxes as well, and will be creating our own rockets, and the like.

I'm also trying to figure out how to create a podcast, as I thought that could be fun for them to do, and would be a good way of keeping track of what's going on. Plan is to keep it to about 10 minutes every day or so, and will coming up with content that they can use, and what they want to talk about, and will post a link here if I can work it out.

Geography; not sure what they're working on at the moment, but will be watching some Michael Palin with them and come up with some fun exercises based on that, but really it'll be about going through what they have been given first and foremost and then seeing what they're given next if anything.

It does seem a bit daunting, but it's important to keep them in a routine regarding timings, and actually getting them to focus on work during the day whilst we're in this situation. I'm not a teacher, but like everyone else, will figure it out as I go along.

When the two weeks are up though: The Real Truth about British History starts. I can't wait for them to go back to school and tell their teachers that the monarchy should be overthrown.

But this thread is a great idea, and sure we'll work it out.

"THE BELL DOESN'T DISMISS YOU...I DISMISS YOU"

• Awards Moderator

Mrs Onyx mentioned something: for those of you with children in year 5, at the end of the academic year most schools introduce The Facts of Life and period advice for girls. There's a good chance if we're holed up a while you might want to think about approaching that.

As if you didn't have enough to worry about... 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Onyx2 said:

for those of you with children in year 5, at the end of the academic year most schools introduce The Facts of Life and period advice for girls. There's a good chance if we're holed up a while you might want to think about approaching that.

Danny Devito Smh GIF

6 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Mrs Onyx mentioned something: for those of you with children in year 5, at the end of the academic year most schools introduce The Facts of Life and period advice for girls. There's a good chance if we're holed up a while you might want to think about approaching that.

As if you didn't have enough to worry about... 

Just had a massive panic attack at the thought of this.

• Paid Members

Trainee teacher with a dose of English and Media Studies knowledge if anyone needs any help with anything, I'll be keeping open various social media platforms like here on my laptop to answer or help in any way I can.

I'm freaking out that there appears to be no real guidance on what is happening for us PGCE regarding needing a set amount of days, enough experience etc to qualify for QTS.

Got an email today outlining that the University have extended a few deadlines to October Half Term...something tells me I'm not done and I may already have an elsewhere job in July as I was taking a year out to try and do some Student Union jobs for the University.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Trainee teacher with a dose of English and Media Studies knowledge if anyone needs any help with anything, I'll be keeping open various social media platforms like here on my laptop to answer or help in any way I can.

I'm freaking out that there appears to be no real guidance on what is happening for us PGCE regarding needing a set amount of days, enough experience etc to qualify for QTS.

Got an email today outlining that the University have extended a few deadlines to October Half Term...something tells me I'm not done and I may already have an elsewhere job in July as I was taking a year out to try and do some Student Union jobs for the University.

I was under the impression that Williamson had said that even if you hadn't done the set amount of days you would qualify - that's the guidance our PGCE students were given. 

• Paid Members

Me and the kids went for a jog this morning, was a great start to the day! 8yo son took it really well, was steaming ahead of me and my 10yo daughter. My daughter wasn't as keen on it, so we will mix it up and do something she prefers tomorrow.

9-10am was quiet reading time as I had a couple of morning calls with my boss and then my staff. My son read a book from start to finish (he kept reading for 20 mins into his break time as he was enjoying it so much), my daughter gave up on one book after 10 mins and got another one. Gave up on that after 5 mins, and so on. I think she is going to be hard work...

apparently Mrs Wiseau did the PE thing while the 12 year old started rolilng on the floor refusing to do it so got sent out and the 4 year old said he was "too tired" about two minutes into it. Mrs W enjoyed it though. Apparently 12 looked at a screen with My Maths on for an hour and a half but the amount he did is questionable but 4 has done a few bits of bitesize apparently. this is going to be a long cold seemingly endless slog. i'm going to need a lot of help from Jack Daniels if i have to stay at home for anything more than a weekend.