Homeschooling (and keeping kids entertained)

PunkStep

• Paid Members

So I imagine there will be many on here like @SuperBacon and myself that will begin homeschooling from tomorrow. Some will need to juggle this with working from home too (myself included as my wife still has to go to work).

What are your plans? Has your kids' school provided much for the immediate future? Have you put together a schedule?

I'm not a teacher, but for the foreseeable future I will need to be. Share your tips and ideas on here because I'm sure we can all use a bit of help from each other. 

I'm starting mine off with a bit of quiet reading each day as I have a couple of daily Teams calls with my staff first thing. We have one family laptop so we are alternating their Purple Mash and Abacus time late morning and early afternoon- with the other working on worksheets provided by the school. Late afternoon is going to be creative/recreation- art, music, PE etc. 

But this isn't just a homeschooling thread. Kids are going to be bored shitless stuck inside indefinitely, despite the older fuckers posting on Facebook that kids never go out these days. I don't want them just sitting on tech, so I'll be thinking of things to keep us all engaged in the evenings, weekends etc more than usual. 

I'm not too worried about my eldest. She's year 1 and the school have sent home lesson plans for this week. Hopefully she'll be alright without too much intervention. My autistic 3.5 year old is going to be a huge challenge. She badly needs the nursery environment to burn off energy and make a mess that isn't in our flat. I have to work in the girls bedroom as there's no space anywhere else. 

Edited by hallicks

• Paid Members

Any secondary age children I can try and help - I'm a History and English teacher. 

I'm currently setting simple(ish) tasks using Google Classroom, and we've sent workbooks home for Maths, English and Science. I think the main thing is to ensure that their brains are stimulated by something that isn't just screentime - read a book with them, get them to draw, do some mental arithmetic or what have you. 

Find something they're interested in and get them to make a mini project on it - maybe they like food - write a menu, research a recipe etc.? 

Add me to the homeschooling list... 

Both my wife and I will be working from home, so we're splitting our time. I'm working in the morning, she's doing the afternoon while the other sorts the kids out. 

Their school have laid on a lot of links to the BBC Bitesize website (I'd seriously recommend it), YouTube videos. Joe Wickes is going to do a 20 minute PE lesson each morning on YouTube so we'll be using that. Aside from that, lots of reading, maths and tests. 

• Moderators

I think my daughter is a bit younger than some of the other UKFF Juniors so my needs are a little different.. We've got a playground behind the house but I'm a bit scared to let her use it. We have a garden but it's on a slope. Does anyone know if there's any garden swing sets designed to be able to be used on a slope?

If it is of any help I can put together Box Time for any one with Autistic children. I can also send a structured time table for most people using ideas from school and what their day would usually consist of. 

Any specific areas or topics that you want to teach please let me know and I can assist in anyway possible. 

I'm a primary school teacher so happy to help anyone out with anything they might need. 

I've sent a physical pack of work home with my class and will also be setting work on Google classroom. 

Joe Wicks is doing free childrens workouts every day at 9am, Glasgow Science Centre are streaming daily science lessons and activities, I believe the BBC are doing some things too. 

Just going to try and keep the kids busy to be honest and try to limit their screen time. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Joe Wicks is doing free childrens workouts every day at 9am

Yeah I saw that. It's a real shame that he's an unbearable wanker. It has made me start to look at workout videos in general though. Time to see if some old Get Fit With Lizzie videos exist on YouTube!

Thanks for the input so far folks, plenty to look into 👍🏻

Forgot to mention as well but as per a recommendation from someone in the Covid thread (might've been @Loki), before we start work and school I'm going to take the kids out for a quick walk or jog. Something to mentally start the day.

One thing that I'm already missing like crazy is football coaching. This is my first season as a coach and I count down the days until training on a Saturday morning- it has totally consumed me but in a good way. Yesterday I had a little training session with my son (who plays in my team anyway) and daughter- was lots of fun so we'll definitely do this every Saturday morning. My son has asked if me and him can have a 1 vs 1 game today in the absence of a match.

On Monday and Thursday evenings I'll be doing karate with my daughter, which is when she would normally have her classes. Some of you know that she had brain surgery days before Christmas and was understandably told no karate for 2 months. She was heartbroken as it meant she'd likely miss her grading in late March. When she returned to karate a few weeks ago she was told she was ready for her grading (albeit if she wears Petr Cech/rugby style headgear) - I've never seen her so ecstatic as she thought she'd miss out. Obviously it's now cancelled as it was scheduled for next Friday so I want to try do what I can to help her train because I know she's going to miss it like crazy, especially after just missing 2 months. 

• Awards Moderator

It will mostly be me and daughter in the house for the time being as Mrs Onyx is a teacher and going into school for now. I've had to make a schedule as I need daughter to be self sufficient as much as she can while I work. I do want to join in with her in as many activities as possible. 

20200322_150810_copy_1086x907.thumb.jpg.cc412d59eb8930ffe2e70b083c54e29f.jpg

You might think it's a bit prescriptive but it's a suggestion; we'll keep looking at it and changing it as necessary. We have to start somewhere otherwise she'll log the most Animal Crossing hours in the world. 

• Paid Members

My daughter is 3 and goes to nursery. I am a key worker and will be expected to work for as long as I can with our homeless groups in the North East. This means my daughter can still technically go to nursery. It also means we aren’t being told to work from home, so no pay outs if I choose to simply not go in as far as I can tell.

I’m terrified, I won’t lie. I have no fucking clue at this stage what the right thing to do is anymore, my head is utterly battered.

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m terrified, I won’t lie.

This is the thread for you. 

Kaz you are one of the most beloved people on here doing an amazing job. Chin up and vent, it'll be all right in the end.