The Hit Factory is amazing thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

They really were. They took the Motown ethos to the UK and frankly made some utter bangers 

My favourite: - https://youtu.be/AA0keBEeyvs

Possibly one of the best pop songs ever made. 

I think it's time s.a.w.  we're revisited nd given fair thrift. Except for the WWf singles they realsassd by the end. 

But seriously. I think SAW don't get the credit they should. 

SAW certainly had more than their fair share of number ones in the 80s when people still bought music. I think they probably got a bad rep because the music was cheaply produced and it was around the time when everyone mimed on top of the pops. I agree that some of their songs were quite good like that one from Donna Summer but they also did some bloody awful ones (Sinitta anyone?). Bananarama also sounded like school girls at the back of a bus.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Bananarama also sounded like school girls at the back of a bus.

Blocked and reported. They had some bangers! 

SAW made You Spin Me Round, Respectable, Never Gonna Give You Up, Never Stop Me From Loving You, Hand On Your Heart, The Love I Lost.

That’s just a small sample of some of their most amazing work. It lived up to it’s name did The Hit Factory

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Love I Lost.

Harold Melvin might disagree with you. I remember Train nonce Waterman on the tv saying they always got the same old criticism how their stuff was cookie cutter and easy to make. Whenever he was told that he’d say “Here’s the studio for a day, go on then if it’s so easy” and he was right. 

It does get labelled as the music of Thatcher but that was Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran. The Hit Factory was exactly that, a factory with a production line that churned out exactly what it set out to manufacture. 

Im with Butch, it’s more akin to Motown than Cowell. Not really a fan of most of the output at all but they were behind the best Band Aid. 

• Paid Members

During interviews these days, Bananarama always seem like they'd give you the best sex you'd ever had, and then make you feel pathetic afterwards. I saw them on some cooking program once and they were like "lovely souffle, but I'd rather be anywhere but eating this on Saturday morning." The type of women only Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash could maintain.

I find SAW fucking awful for the most part and comparing them to Motown is a massive insult to all the actual great musicians who helped build that label.

Kylie's Better The Devil You Know is an absolutely amazing pop song though but I'm not sure that makes up for them basically trolling the pop charts for years with shite like The Reynolds Girls.

• Paid Members

I picked up a 4 disk Hit Factory compilation from our charity shop for 10p and there's some great songs on there. It's like every composition and aural perception class I ever attendee in college and uni put into practice. They had a formula, and once they'd got it right it worked. 

5 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I find SAW fucking awful for the most part and comparing them to Motown is a massive insult to all the actual great musicians who helped build that label.

Nah. Holland-Dozier-Holland were the biggest builders of Motown for me, Clive. So comparing in house songwriters/producers with in house songwriters/producers is perfectly valid. 

27 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I agree that the comparison is valid but it really is not a favourable one for SAW.

Agreed. It’s just Motown was as much a conveyer belt as Hit Factory when it needed to be. Granted, one made Ford GTs and the other made Robin Reliants. 

• Paid Members

They were the sound of my childhood but looking back through their discography, they were way more miss than hit. Love their Bananarama and Mel & Kim stuff though.

Such a fantastic song, the structure of it is so unusual.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Listened to that song after reading this thread last night funnily enough, definitely one ofthe best SAW tracks and better than Respectable. 

My dad swears that The Hitman and Her is the greatest music show to ever grace our TV screens. I think that's more because of Michaela Strachan than Pete Waterman, mind.