Main event anywhere in the country

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Gorilla Monsoon would often say the upcoming match "is a main event anywhere in the country". On the April 1993 WWF YouTube comp, he says it as Yokozuna's music plays. I'm already suspicious. Then out walks... Typhoon. To compound the bullshit, it's a sub two minute squash too.

So what are the worst matches you've heard Gorilla utter those immortal words about or actual main events that fell well short?

I'll set the bar with the legendary WCW show in the UK in 2000 at MEN Arena that sell out 16318 seats only for Big Vito & Johnny The Bull vs. The Harris Brothers to headline.

• Paid Members

Went to a house show in Sheffield. This was the card:-

1. OPENING MATCH: Big Show beat Chris Benoit..

2. CW TITLE MATCH: Matt Hardy beat Jamie Noble to retain..

3. MATCH: Sean O'Haire beat Tajiri..

4. MATCH: A-Train beat Brian 'Spanky' Kendrick..

5. WWE TITLE MATCH: Brock Lesnar beat John Cena to retain..

6. TAG TITLE MATCH: Team Angle beat Rey Mysterio & Rhyno to retain..

7. DIVAS MATCH: Torrie Wilson beat Nidia..

8. MAIN EVENT: Rikishi & Los Guerreros beat The Full Blooded Italians..
Edited by jazzygeofferz

Just now, jazzygeofferz said:

Went to a house show in Sheffield. This was the card:-

1. OPENING MATCH: Big Show beat Chris Benoit..

2. CW TITLE MATCH: Matt Hardy beat Jamie Noble to retain..

3. MATCH: Sean O'Haire beat Tajiri..

4. MATCH: A-Train beat Brian 'Spanky' Kendrick..

5. WWE TITLE MATCH: Brock Lesnar beat John Cena to retain..

6. TAG TITLE MATCH: Team Angle beat Rey Mysterio & Rhyno to retain..

7. DIVAS MATCH: Torrie Wilson beat Nidia..

8. MAIN EVENT: Rikishi & Los Guerreros beat The Full Blooded Italians..

No idea if anyone had their working boots on, but on paper that looks like a great show (Divas match aside).

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'll set the bar with the legendary WCW show in the UK in 2000 at MEN Arena that sell out 16318 seats only for Big Vito & Johnny The Bull vs. The Harris Brothers to headline.

I was at that show, 13 year old me was not happy! Wasn't their a thing on Watchdog about it?

Just dug my ticket out, it was 20 years ago on the 12th of this month!

Edited by rollthedice

I was at the London show which had a team of Flair and Luger in the match.

Sorry.

Also I won the tickets in a competition and got Nitro Girl Chae's autograph during intermission.

Best show ever.

4 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

Did Lesnar and Cena need to get home early?

It's fascinating. Cena wasn't a main event talent at the time, so I can understand Brock vs him being a midcard match... IF you had something like Undertaker vs Big Show in the main event. Did Taker have a sudden injury at the time that would've messed up plans? 

Even with injuries to top names like Undertaker and Angle, I can't fathom how the main events on that tour were decided. Given the stars on there, Brock Lesnar vs Big Show should've been main eventing every night - or if Brock was still wrecked from the shooting star press at WrestleMania and they didn't want him doing a proper main event singles match, something like him, Benoit and Rey vs Big Show, Cena and Hardy. And yet almost every night, it was a Rikishi tag match that went on last. They must have had some reason for it.

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

It's fascinating. Cena wasn't a main event talent at the time, so I can understand Brock vs him being a midcard match... IF you had something like Undertaker vs Big Show in the main event. Did Taker have a sudden injury at the time that would've messed up plans? 

Even with injuries to top names like Undertaker and Angle, I can't fathom how the main events on that tour were decided. Given the stars on there, Brock Lesnar vs Big Show should've been main eventing every night - or if Brock was still wrecked from the shooting star press at WrestleMania and they didn't want him doing a proper main event singles match, something like him, Benoit and Rey vs Big Show, Cena and Hardy. And yet almost every night, it was a Rikishi tag match that went on last. They must have had some reason for it.

Undertaker took the tour off because his wife was about to give birth IIRC. Maybe this led to a card reshuffle? 

• Paid Members

I went to the Docklands Arena (remember that??) leg of that Smackdown tour as the card was almost identical. It was shit. Nobody really had their working boots on, so as good as it looks on paper, in reality it was crap.