Elimination Chamber 2020 (post-show discussion)

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
Bryan/Gulak
Absolutely brutal, in a good way. They just beat the living daylights out of each other. Fair play to Bryan who did everything he could to make Gulak look the part during and after the match. Only thing was I felt genuinely uncomfortable watching Bryan getting dumped on his head - that one was probably an accident but regardless he’s an absolute nutcase for taking some of the spots in this.

Andrade/Humberto
Banger. Andrade looks the bollocks - I’d love him to win the big one this year. Also, has Zelina always been this good? She was legit class on the outside, constantly aware of when the camera was on her, showing great reactions, always barking out instructions to Andrade, etc. Ace.

SD Tag Elimination Chamber
As a highlight reel it’s insane. That shooting star spot and Otis ploughing through the pod were all kinds of madness. But there were loads of mistakes, notable confusion on a few occasions, and once Heavy Machinery bit the dust it killed the crowd. For effort alone, fair play to the lot of them. 

Aleister Black/AJ Styles
A little slow and not helped by going on a tough spot on the card, but it picked up gradually, they timed the Taker surprise well, and the right chap went over. Too long in isolation but more positives than negatives. 

Steet Profits vs Rollins/Murphy
Started off hot, lost traction in the middle, picked up again at the end. Probably would’ve worked better as the opener and with several minutes chopped off but still good. Cracking tackle by Dawkins on Rollins on the outside. I’m bang into the Street Profits so I hope they keep the belts for a while. Owens/Rollins at Wrestlemania has potential. 

Strowman vs Zayn/Cesaro/Nakamura
Why would Nakamura/Cesaro be totally non-plussed at Zayn hogging the title for himself? I know they are t’internet faves but I’m amazed they’ve once again shitcanned Braun. Think they ballsed up the final tag but could be my eyes deceiving me. Zayn’s a delightful shithouse but this was a massive waste of time. 

Raw Women’s Elimination Chamber
Difficult to rate as match, but as a way to propel Baszler to the next level they made her look like a total killer and I think that’s what most people had hoped for going in. Refreshing to see them pushing someone that strongly in a short space of time. Not to bang on about timings tonight but the space in-between entries murdered the flow. Think they were trying to whip the crowd into a frenzy waiting for Asuka's arrival but they weren't perhaps buying it as much as I initially thought. 

Main thing for me looking at show overall is that it was way longer than it needed to be - could easily have shaved a few minutes off in almost every match (or canned the IC title match entirely) and it would have been a much better, tighter show. Thought it was alright for the most part, but the lack of overall excitement compared to watching AEW shows at the moment is becoming more and more noticeable. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

I read the review this morning. Sounded OK as the in-ring stuff was always going to be. What really hurt this show for me was not giving a shit who won any of the matches and having absolutely no doubt who would win the others. I just don't think they realise how relevant that still is.

I'm happy to accept that on TV each week, there are a bunch of matches where the winner isn't in doubt. I'm happy to skip through them, happy that other people can just enjoy them as good wrestling matches. It's absolutely fine. That's what their TV is for. I don't mind the compromise. When you put on a PPV, or maybe they're all Network specials now, there should be a selling point to most matches and there just isn't at all with this card. It's a hard slot to fill anyway being just after Saudi shitshow and before Mania but it's just so needless and the lack of interest in it shows.

• Paid Members

I fell asleep 3 times during the PPV. Near the end of The US title match, woke up for the men’s tag, fell asleep before the end. Woke again during the main event, but fell asleep before the end. Never happened to me before. Watching it back this morning, I made a good choice 

• Paid Members

I haven't watched it, but I'm keen to check out Bryan vs. Gulak.

That this was the last PPV before Wrestlemania, and it managed to not feature the Royal Rumble winner, either male or female World Champion, nor Roman Reigns, Randy Orton, Bobby Lashley, Rusev, Kevin Owens, Rey Mysterio, Bray Wyatt, John Cena, King Corbin (not exactly losing sleep over that one, but still...), Sheamus, Charlotte Flair, Sasha Banks and probably several others with a Wrestlemania programme in mind is mental. Doubly so if they're genuinely looking at switching back to a pay-per-view model, and will have to try and convince people to pay full whack for this shit. 

• Paid Members

I switched over last night in time for the tag title Chamber. Didn’t think much of it. Otis looking lost and confused about where he was meant to be in spots was the only notable thing about it. 

Shayna winning the way she did was the right way. But building up the Riott Squad to face each other only to have Logan and Ruby eliminated before Liv came in was the wrong decision imo. They should’ve had those 3 and Nattie in there and then Shayna come in and kill them. 

Pleased Zayn got his long overdue title. But poor Braun. They’ll never going to let him run with anything. 

Wouldn’t have thought a couple of years ago that a match between AJ Styles and Aleister Black would be a slog. But there we go. 

• Paid Members

Not a main event or top star in sight and they somehow managed to still go three hours forty minutes for the main show. Insane.

I skimmed through it in record time and the only thing of real note is the unbelievably shit look Sami Zayn is now sporting. I know he’s never had the best physique, but he looked positively homeless out there in the terrible kecks with the bad hair. I never got round to listening to it, but didn’t he pretty much admit on his last Jericho podcast appearance that he didn’t give a shit anymore and wasn’t excited to return from injury? The way he looked here, I can totally believe it.

• Paid Members

I think Zayn's NXT title chase was one of the last times I was fully invested in a WWE storyline to the point I was marking out when he finally won it. I don't want to be that 'everyone should go to AEW' guy, but a motivated El Generico turning up somewhere else would be so much better than him treading water on Smackdown.

• Paid Members

I appreciate that they did everything they should've done with Shayna to get her ready for Wrestlemania, but the jury's still out. That's the second or third time now where she's been met by awkward silence on a WWE main roster pay per view. They've gone about bringing her up all wrong. Firstly, they've assumed everyone watches NXT and knows who she is, which is obviously not the case. Then they've tried to fast-track her to the top despite conditioning their fans for decades to never accept such a thing. Everyone watching has been taught that new people come in, trade wins and then get slotted in the middle. The only people who you should properly care about will have squashes for three months and then go from there. To suddenly deviate from this pattern, they've only got themselves to blame that it's not working. It's not even like Shayna has been particularly busy this year. She could've easily been smashing girls on Raw for the past ten weeks.

Edited by Supremo

I skipped most of the show and only watched the matches I was interested in, which I think is a first in my entire fandom.

Bryan/Gulak was a great scrap, but seemed an odd choice to open the show with. I’m guessing that with Bryan giving Gulak somewhat of a post-match endorsement, it’ll lead to another match at Wrestlemania, presumably with some sort of Submission stipulation.

AJ/Black was OK but nothing more. Black continuously kicking with his injured leg was really annoying, and the pop for Undertaker showing up shows why they still rely on him and Goldberg et al to keep bringing fans back. At least Taker took his hat and coat off this time, but with that hairline he just looked like a chunky Nick Cave.

Wasn’t sure what they’d do with the Womens Chamber Match, but I think all in all they worked it well. Though they would’ve had Shayna start the match and beat everyone in the 5 minute periods, which admittedly makes the rest of them look like a right bunch of no-hopers and makes Shayna look a little too strong, or she comes in last and wipes everyone out, but then people would moan that she should’ve done because she was fresh. Instead we got a mixture of the two, whereby she comes in part way, disposed of two lowly competitors quickly before taking a little more time against the veteran. Liv Morgan, who it must be said has a lovely bottom, quickly gets eliminated too before Asuka, who was dominant for so long, is the only one who puts up a bit of a fight but is overcome. King’s closing line of “she made it look so easy” set Shayna up as well as anything in the match

Edited by WyattSheepMask

There's this whole weird section of wrestling Twitter that is moaning about the main event. And that Liv Morgan deserves better. Does she though? I don't know when some people decided she was worth the time but no one gave a shit when she was on TV before. It's weird.

Anyway I'm glad Shayna went through them all. It won't hurt any of them in the long run whatsoever.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

There's this whole weird section of wrestling Twitter that is moaning about the main event. And that Liv Morgan deserves better. Does she though? I don't know when some people decided she was worth the time but no one gave a shit when she was on TV before. It's weird.

Like Alexa Bliss, Liv seems to have a huge online fandom which crosses the line into creepy obsession.