Christopher Au has died - fundraiser/funeral details in thread

John Matrix

• Paid Members

I'm really quite surprised at how hard this hit me last night.  I'm usually one of the first to scoff at the outpourings of grief for dead celebs and the like, but this feels different. 

I never met Chris, we had a few fleeting exchanges on here and Twitter over time, but nothing significant, but you know why it's significant to me?  Because he'd react to shit I posted, that simple upvote or like, or share, or RT, he'd send me stuff from time to time, random Arnie links, or funny design meme's - stuff like that means the world to me.  The guy thought about me more than people I see and live alongside every fucking day and he had no need or obligation to do any of it, he just did..  It's madness, but I feel sadder when someone like Chris passes than I think I would dozens of people I have, on paper at least, far more significant relationships with.

I'll miss you big man.

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

I'm with you, @John Matrix. This has really hit me and I feel like I want to do something.

Would anyone be up for donating to something? I work for a children's hospice and we have memorial butterflies that go into our nature reserve. I'd need to find out how much they are but anything over that amount could be donated to the Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff where he had treatment. I'm waiting to hear back about any arrangements though so maybe the family will ask for donations elsewhere. I dunno, I just feel like I want to do something from this little community of ours.

2 minutes ago, Monkee said:

I'm with you, @John Matrix. This has really hit me and I feel like I want to do something.

Would anyone be up for donating to something? I work for a children's hospice and we have memorial butterflies that go into our nature reserve. I'd need to find out how much they are but anything over that amount could be donated to the Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff where he had treatment. I'm waiting to hear back about any arrangements though so maybe the family will ask for donations elsewhere. I dunno, I just feel like I want to do something from this little community of ours.

Absolutely. Sounds like a great idea.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Count me in. 

• Awards Moderator

Fucking hell, this was a gut punch out of nowhere. I never met Chris but as is becoming apparent in this thread, he interacted with so many of us and was nothing other than a lovely, kind guy. Articulate, clever and the type of person you knew you’d get on with in person as his character shone through on here and all social platforms.

I knew of his diagnosis but hadn’t heard how he was getting on for a couple of months. This is beyond sad. I hope those on here who knew him personally will take some comfort in the entirely positive comments.

Rest easy, Chris.

@Monkee, count me in also.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I only knew him from here but what a nice bloke. Like so many of us on here, the thing that brought us together in the first instance was wrestling. We come from different worlds in our day to day lives but this world was a better place with him in it. Thoughts are with his family. 

22 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Absolutely. 

Like most on here, I never met the guy. But you'd know him instantly if you passed him in the street, so unique was his look. 

By and large we're a group of strangers, yet we all probably interact more with each other on a daily basis than we do with friends and family. The term 'community' is right when it comes to this place. We've lost one of our own. The feeling of loss is understandable. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Monkee said:

My mother was also treated at that Velindre Centre, i will 100% be up for donating if we can set something up.

• Paid Members

I'm in as well @Monkee.

I'd never met Chris IRL but had positive interactions as others have. I'd bought a ticket to the Attack show in Bris last December but had to miss it owing to family, chances are I might've bumped into him.

Edited by seph