Christopher Au has died - fundraiser/funeral details in thread

John Matrix

• Moderators

Hey Matrix, hope you don't mind I moved this post of yours to its own thread here. Thought it was worth doing as anyone whose been around here for a while will have had interactions with @Au over the years (formerly elegia when he first joined).

Really quite gutted to hear this news. I fondly remember the days where him, myself and @JLM were seemingly all doing fuck all at work and were all on here all day and had some great chats.

Met him irl once for a gig and he was a great guy.

• Paid Members

Christ.  Swapped a few PM’s with him on here a few years ago, always came across as a gent.  Think he was mid 30’s which is tragic really.  Very sad news.

• Paid Members

It was in honour of Chris that I brought back to Secret Santa last year. He organised the first ever one and he drew me. I hadn’t long moved into my new flat and he bought me a Welsh love spoon for good luck. It still hangs in my hallway. I so badly wanted to tell someone here that he was ill but it wasn’t my place to do so. He was a genuinely lovely person.

Why is it always the good ones?

• Paid Members

Shit, that's shocked me. I didn't interact with him away from here, but he was what I would consider part of the main UKFF rosta, and I actually had him as my Secret Santa a few years ago. 

He was, as his name suggested, a solid gold guy.

• Moderators

Just to echo all the sentiments of him being a top guy, some years back, I tweeted an image I'd knocked up in Photoshop of a minimalist concept I had for an updated version of my website, saying something like "is there some site-builder program that a dummy like me could use to make this happen?" I think it was that same day he messaged me, asking for my email address, before sending over the files for it, having built the website during a free afternoon, just to be helpful and wanting nothing in return.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Awful news. Chris recognised me from posting on here at some random gig a few years back and we got chatting, bumped into him several times after that at gigs in the South Wales/Bristol area and we'd always talk a little music.

I saw a guy he was reguarly with at an Ash show late last year and i asked where Chris was, his friend told he had been ill but i had no idea about the cancer diagnosis, so sad.

I didn't know him outside of those brief interactions and seeing him post on here over the years but seemed such a lovely guy, RIP :(

Edited by Egg Shen