The idea of it being man-made just some people's way of attempting to rationalise nature's way, by trying to believe that somebody has to be controlling it. It's not the case, and nature is much more random and unthinking than that. Bugs happen and will keep happening, and as far as we advance, the race for survival will never stop.

Obviously it's lovely reading stories like fish returning to the canals of Venice now the boats have stopped churning up the water, but any attempt to link this to some conspiratorial climate change experiment is again misdirected, if anything because the onus on turning that tide is on big business, the military and infrastructure. No amount of reused bags or electric cars is going to outdo the mammoth daily output of fossil fuel power production. No one is going to jack in their car until there's a convenient, high-speed and cheap clean alternative.

Even more cynically, coronavirus' mortality rate is still well below other rarer diseases and conditions, so there are surely more efficient diseases they could have engineered and circulated if culling swathes of the global population was the goal. But that's me going full-on devil's advocate and hating myself for it.

I heard a lad refer to it as the Cor-OWNER- Virus and state that all those with money were making a mint off it. He had the raspy voice of Bob Einstein too which added to the effect. 

Just seen something really lovely out the window. A lad who can't have been more than 13/14 saw an old boy walking his dog, and waited in the space/stairway between two shops (I live across from a parade), to allow him to pass so he wasn't too close to him. Choked me up a bit.

This is usually one of the busiest junctions in Newcastle city centre st 5.00pm on a weekday. Bang in the middle of the city library, Uni, art gallery and main shopping streets.

Incredibly eerie but highly pleasing to see it almost completely deserted. Well done you daft geordies.

FE58DE63-5415-4D72-9F58-4EE48817CDE5.thumb.jpeg.8c402d8c3c0577078072f8e7005a8770.jpeg

3 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Just heard a random burst of applause @ 8:00. Is that a thing now?

Yeah they idea is we are clapping the NHS staff as a nation.

The thing I'm dreading the most about this whole situation is the town centres the day we're told the lockdown is over, businesses are allowed to reopen and we can all go back to work. It's going to be absolute carnage. It'll be like Mad Friday times a million. 

3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The thing I'm dreading the most about this whole situation is the town centres the day we're told the lockdown is over, businesses are allowed to reopen and we can all go back to work. It's going to be absolute carnage. It'll be like Mad Friday times a million. 

Honestly mate the joy at things beginning to return to normal is going to be followed with a flood of relief and ecstasy without trying to exaggerate.  I cant wait. 

As a care assistant for elderly and people with dementia and being in a building that’s been decimated by this virus the clapping at 8.00 brought more then a few tears to my eye 

We were out in the street clapping like everyone. It's a strange, strange feeling; on one hand there's an overwhelming sense of togetherness in terms of appreciation for those who are helping to run the country, but on the other hand, I think tonight is the closest I've felt to that 'war time' sense of danger. I realise, of course, that there are people who lived through far worse conditions in relatively recent living memory, but since lockdown began, tonight's felt like the first 'fuck, this is a really big problem' moment for me. And that's as someone who has been vehemently following the rules!

Local Facebook's already heavy with posts shaming people for not clapping. Imagine if this crosses over into poppy season.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

I didn't clap. But then I live alone in an apartment so I don't think clapping by myself really does much. I'll just make a donation to the local hospitals' charity instead.

Edited by The Maestro
Boom. Clap.

There was a fair amount of clapping on our road, it was lovely. I live in inner london and even though it's a small gesture made with minimum effort, that type of civic mindedness is something I think we need more of as a country. We are all in this together and have more in common than we all think! 

I had to go to the shops and forgot about this clapping thing. The whole of my street outside their £1million+ houses clapping and whooping, staring at me as I walked past daring NOT TO CLAP AND WEAR MY POPPY.

Half tempted to say to them that the best way to support the NHS would be to not vote for a party that has decimated it for the past 10 years but #bekind and all that.