And to be fair, insurance companies can't be expected to pay out for everything. Not after donating millions to the Conservative Party. Be reasonable.

47 minutes ago, David said:

How do we define "stupid" though? For me, someone who uses a full-stop to end a question is stupid.

I think he's telling you to remember it, not asking you whether or not you do.

38 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Well, I suppose that depends on whether they agree to Bransons bail out plea or not. If they do front billions, but don’t help out small business, then it’s difficult to sugar coat David.

You’re correct, it’s unprecedented, however, New Zealand are taking steps to at least ‘try’ and support smaller businesses to keep them afloat. That’s the difference.

Oh, absolutely. I'm all for the government providing some sort of help for small businesses affected by all of this. I was primarily taking aim at insurance companies, who are a nightmare to get anything from at the best of times. I don't see much success coming from that route.

I would hope the government in the UK goes down the path of helping people and small businesses yet. There's still time, but if they don't they'll be deserving of every criticism, that's for sure.

The closing of internal EU borders is going to play hell with supply chains. Namely food & pharma, lots of meetings happening at work today. Things are pretty crazy right now with people raiding the supermarkets, it'll get interesting should the replenishment deliveries dry up.

27 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The closing of internal EU borders is going to play hell with supply chains. Namely food & pharma,

We'll be back on the braun and tripe before we know it. Apart from Loki who'll propbly be trying to grow avacados in his orangery.

Great news from my work, anyone on underlying absence will be on SSP.  I know its not alot but i was expecting to go unpaid. Hopefully there is a company there to go back to when its all over and i can go back to normal.

A new word for you all to use and enjoy:

"Shemptied" : The act of panic buying too much of a particular item in a supermarket, leading to emptying the shelf of said item. A combination of the words "Shelf" and "Emptied"

Uses:
"I see the bum-roll has been shemptied at Morrisons."
"Quick, you'd better go an buy some more rice from Tesco before it gets shemptied."
"Did you manage to get any staple items whatsoever, or was everything shemptied?"
Edited by scratchdj

The schools around my way are starting to close or partially close. My youngest's primary has sent 3 teachers home who are thought to be "at risk", but my kids class is still going for now. The secondary school my two eldest go to, have closed for years 9 and 10(my middle kid is in this year), but open for years 7,8 and 11(my eldest is in this year) so it's a bit of a mess at the minute...

28 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

A new word for you all to use and enjoy:

"Shemptied" : The act of panic buying too much of a particular item in a supermarket, leading to emptying the shelf of said item. A combination of the words "Shelf" and "Emptied"

Uses:
"I see the bum-roll has been shemptied at Morrisons."
"Quick, you'd better go an buy some more rice from Tesco before it gets shemptied."
"Did you manage to get any staple items whatsoever, or was everything shemptied?"

I'd rather get the virus

4 hours ago, David said:

How do we define "stupid" though? For me, someone who uses a full-stop to end a question is stupid. That's just my opinion though, and I certainly wouldn't hold that against them.

What about the government? Some of the key figures involved there are fucking stupid, aren't they? Yet here we are crying out for them to be handed absolute power to jail people for not staying in their houses.

There's nothing like a crisis and a bit of panic to see people surrender what little rights they have left. All in the name of, what? Some false sense of security? 

Bollocks. 

The government's place is to advise the public on what to do for the most part. If people wish to close their businesses, then fair enough, that's their choice. If pub owners want to stay open that's their call. It's also the call of those who want to go and sit in the pub and drink.

Not everyone has families, friends, internet access and suchlike. Every pub in the land has those guys who's lives revolve around the place. What about them? Is it just a case of "fuck you" and they go home for three months to their shitty flats and sit by themselves? Who cares, right? 

Not for me. As unpopular as it may be, the people still have to bear some of the responsibility for their actions, rather than just shut their eyes and hope the government will make it all go away.

Wrong. Sorry I don't normally flat out disagree with people but I will in this case.

I wouldn't trust the average person to make me a sandwich let alone do what's best for the whole population. There are so many self-obsessed, me-me-me types out there with the attitude of "I won't do what I am told, who do they think they are?" when it comes to taking advice. The "I'm well-hard, fuck the virus" brigade who think their actions won't impact on other people who may be at risk. The average person (in my view) has as much common-sense as a cucumber they need telling what to do because they are stupid and don't think. 

Whilst I agree people can make choices about what they do, they must never impact another person's health nor should they then demand help if their ignorance (or arrogance) leads them to becoming unwell. I don't want to hear people crying out for medical help when they have been idiots and not taken steps to keep themselves (and others) safe. 

The whole attitude of "well I will get a cough so you should man up and stop moaning" is all well and good for those who don't have compromised immune systems but its selfish. If people did what was right - without being forced to - then measures wouldn't need implementing. 

That said I do feel for those that will be financially fucked as a result of this. Its really a shitty position for everyone - whether its old and frail who may get seriously ill or business owners who will be financially screwed by this virus. 

As for the guys who's lives revolve around pubs? Well that's really their doing, its not like they haven't chosen to live a life of sitting on their arse in pubs all day (I have three in my family/friend groups that are like that, I am not meaning to be disrespectful but state fact)

13 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Or just use words that already exist such as ransacked, pillaged, raided, plundered or sacked.

Oooooh I wanna go pillaging tonight! 

Sorry for the following nonsense post, I'm too angry to write anything remotely serious at the moment. 

It's getting a bit silly here at the top of the M67. The local Tesco has been ransacked of tins, sundries and toilet paper. The other a few miles away become more difficult to access/park.

The local whisperers are now blaming out of towners (Bear in mind I live near League Of Gentlemens very own Royston Vasey.) on the shortages. The local towns supplies are dwindling but hopefully once all the collectors scurry back home they'll be able to replenish and everyone else come out, get what they need whilst with manners and behaving properly.

This is with only 3 confirmed cases and as of yet 0 deaths within a 10 mile radius. I dread to think of how it's going to be in the thick of it. Public transport is still running heavily and no schools have closed here yet. 

Amazingly I struck gold at the local chemist, getting some mega antibacterial cleansing super handwipes for the non astronomical sum of 15p per packet. This now means my already marginal chance of winning the lottery is non existant.

Stay safe out there because it's probably going to get a lot wilder.