Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

all the kids are expected to help tidy and clean the classroom

Yeah, Japanese football fans are notorious for cleaning up the stands at the end of matches too, so it's clearly from a young age. However I was more referring to Chinese rather than Japanese.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah, Japanese football fans are notorious for cleaning up the stands at the end of matches too, so it's clearly from a young age. However I was more referring to Chinese rather than Japanese.

Yeh, a big factor is the very Confucian ethos present in East Asian countries - Koreans also have that strong influence. There's a very heavy emphasis on a person having various relationships of duty in life, towards parents, society, one's country, one's sovereign, etc.

Speak of East Asian countries....hello.

Thought I'd wade in today as had my first AstraZeneca jab. Luckily my university managed to organize vaccinations for all staff so i've managed to jump a very very big queue in Vietnam with the situation deteriorating (after a wonderfully open 2020). We are now in a serious lockdown and will get on the spot fined if we go out for anything but food/ medicine/ hospital visits. If you're in an area with a patient it's locked down for 2-3 weeks. My parents-in-law have literally been barricaded into their small street by barbed wire and police. They're ok as they are fairly wealthy but you've got some people living in one room apartments as big as your typical en-suite bathroom who have almost nothing to eat because they live day by day. Cases are actually still minor compared to many places but the city is certainly tense right now. 

As for the vaccination generally felt fine until I needed a UKFF worthy vacate of my bowels about an hour ago (right in the middle of teaching an online class) which felt like I'd been given an enema to induce it but otherwise feeling fine.  

In an update, late afternoon it started to flatten me. Felt absolutely bizzare through the night and now have a splitting headache. 

Edited by simonworden

• Paid Members

Me and the wife love a cruise, but for obvious reasons haven’t been anywhere near a ship for the past 18 months. My wife has a fairly decent following on her Instagram cruise account and so is in contact with quite a few people who have already gotten itchy feet and have ventured back.

One of the strong trends she’s seeing at the moment is Brits coming back into the UK and remarking how lapse everything is with regard to COVID, especially when compared to the European countries they’ve visited on their cruise.

One of the accounts she shares stuff with returned today and told her they had to jump through a lot of hoops just to get onboard, completing multiple forms, taking several tests and proving they’d had vaccines etc. Every port they stopped at checked all of this at least three times (once as they left the ship by the cruise company, once as they stood foot on the port and once by the local authorities as they left the port itself. When they returned to the ship, everything was checked multiple times again, including their temperature etc.

When they got back to the UK, nothing that they had to get in place to make their trip was checked at all, by anyone. They just arrived back into the country and were free to make their way home.

We become somewhat obsessed with cruises over the last few years, to the point where it was looking as though it could become a new career for my wife by way of her social media.

Over the last few years we’d managed to go on 31 cruises (humble brag), but neither of us have any interest in going back. I’m not sure if that will ever change, but we certainly can’t see that changing in the near future at least.

Add to the fact most require a long flight and the thought of being inside a metal tube for 8 hours make my stomach churn, and we’re both happy to stay at home.

Edited by scratchdj