4 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think they can claim losses via insurance anyway. Wouldn't the insurance companies argue this as an act of God, or something similar? 

If they can't, I don't see them paying out for every small business forced to close. How long before the insurance companies run out of funds?

I would guess the insurance companies base premiums on worst case floods of certain areas or extreme weather in parts, A wide scale shut down payout? If they have to pay it they wont be around long enough for anyone to claim

Edited by quote the raven

Well I've had the job I was supposed to be doing today cancelled on me because my point of contact is self isolating themselves. /i am supposed to be on a training course tomorrow, but I can see that getting cancelled as well.

15 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

I would guess the insurance companies base premiums on worst case floods of certain areas or extreme weather in parts, A wide scale shut down payout? If they have to pay it they wont be around long enough for anyone to claim

This situation is unprecedented, and as such I don't think it would make much difference being able to claim insurance or not. 

Despite the bashing the PM has taken, I'm of the opinion that the government is primarily there to advise on matters such as these. When we cross the line into forcing people to close up businesses it could create other issues.

For example, does anyone think there wouldn't be pubs and dodgy establishments not willing to open doos quietly to customers and charge a premium for booze? It would be similar to the prohibition era in that regard. How do we deal with that? Arrest and imprison those who open their pubs? Or do we go the full hog and arrest those who drink in them as well?

The government banning people from going out, from meeting friends, or from opening businesses makes me uncomfortable. I understand there's a pandemic, but I don't think we should be happy to cower in the corner and hand over all of our freedoms to any government.

If people are sensible and use their common sense then we'll be fine for the most part. 

And no, just because some of us believe the public at large is stupid isn't reason to take away people's rights. 

Common sense didnt work in france. 

Macron more or less blamed his own people for the lock down. People will continue to put themselves in harms way with the "it wont happen to me" attitude. 

I bet if they put on a league game in football regardless of the state if the virus it would be full up 

7 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Common sense didnt work in france. 

Macron more or less blamed his own people for the lock down. People will continue to put themselves in harms way with the "it wont happen to me" attitude. 

I bet if they put on a league game in football regardless of the state if the virus it would be full up 

Again, how do we want governments to enforce these lockdowns? If someone wants to go out for a walk and meet a group of friends, what happens? Arrest them? Put them in jail? 

1 minute ago, David said:

Again, how do we want governments to enforce these lockdowns? If someone wants to go out for a walk and meet a group of friends, what happens? Arrest them? Put them in jail? 

France is fining people 130 euros? If they carry on then i guess yeah they face arrest. Is that right? probably not. Is it last choice to save people from themselves? probably.

Edited by quote the raven

16 minutes ago, David said:

If people are sensible and use their common sense then we'll be fine for the most part. 

People won't use common sense. You dont have to look at responses to the ongoing situation which have been well documented, you only have to look at something  like Black Friday where people will fight over 10 quid off a 50 inch TV. 

Shoot them.

A couple in the lads play group just got back from Barcelona yesterday and brought their son in today. Unfortunately my other half only noticed this on the pick up. It's his last day for a while.

There seem's to be a clear divide at the moment between hysterical fannies and people in denial. There's a viral message doing the rounds that it's all a conspiracy outting Tom Hanks as a nonce amongst other ridiculous things and it's being shared in sincerity by more than one halfwit.

2 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

People won't use common sense. You dont have to look at responses to the ongoing situation which have been well documented, you only have to look at something  like Black Friday where people will fight over 10 quid off a 50 inch TV. 

So while im busy trying to get work to agree to let me take time off. The type 1 diabetic and the lady who is pregnant are seemingly both in work. Even tho one of our staff is now self isolating with symptoms. One of them is planning to visit spoons after work.  

1 minute ago, quote the raven said:

France is fining people 130 euros? If they carry on then i guess yeah they face arrest. Is that right? probably not. Is it last choice to save people from themselves? probably.

Right, so the idea is to fine a population that's already losing wages and jobs? Makes sense. Especially when those break the lockdown rules will probably not be the well-off types who have a garage full of bog roll and paracetamol. 

also, If we're arresting them, it won't be long before our already overcrowded prisons are overflowing.

If that happens we could always move those who infringe the lockdown laws to camps, I guess. 

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Again, the line of thinking that goes "the people are dumb, they can't think for themselves, they need a firm hand and told what to do" is a dangerous road to go down.

1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

Shoot them.

A couple in the lads play group just got back from Barcelona yesterday and brought their son in today. Unfortunately my other half only noticed this on the pick up. It's his last day for a while.

So wait, you're saying that you could be infected now? Maybe we should shoot you while we're at it, in case you infect anyone else?

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Oh good, David is at home and bored.

This thread will be on 85 pages by tea time, as he makes the same point for the 40th time.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe we should shoot you while we're at it, in case you infect anyone else?

Think he was joking, mate.