• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been in the smaller of the two Tesco in Lincoln. Things were pretty much in stock apart from loo roll and pet food. Did see one guy at the till getting told by the checkout girl that he couldn't

I'll eventually work through all the messages but I'm safe. Thanks folks. I'm still an absolute mess but safe all the same. 

Posted Images

• Paid Members

I had the AZ jab yesterday afternoon and felt absolutely fine. Slept badly last night (had nightmares that my sister in law had been kidnapped) and was very restless. Got up at 11am and felt fine but tired. Then it hit me. I was really cold, heating on full blast, blanket over me, fell asleep at 1pm and felt jet lagged. I couldn’t wake up. Finally forced myself to get something to eat at 8pm, watched a film and now I’m in bed again as I can barely keep my eyes open. Apart from feeling exhausted I don’t feel any other side effects, thankfully.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56632084

Rapid testing to be offered twice weekly to everyone in England from a week on Friday.

Seems like another positive step forward if not a potentially expensive one.

Will probably encourage companies to get people back to work anyway. I'm still uncomfortable with it until I've been vaccinated so glad my company doesn't seem to be in a rush.

• Paid Members

Given that we ran out of tests in school last week and so couldn't send the kids home with all of the ones they needed over Easter, I'm not particularly confident in the government's ability to provide everyone two tests a week! 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56632084

Rapid testing to be offered twice weekly to everyone in England from a week on Friday.

Seems like another positive step forward if not a potentially expensive one.

Will probably encourage companies to get people back to work anyway. I'm still uncomfortable with it until I've been vaccinated so glad my company doesn't seem to be in a rush.

I don't get why they're so keen to get people back into the office. Well, aside from their friends that run transport companies losing money. Business are saving money in not having to worry as much about the cost of offices etc. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Given that we ran out of tests in school last week and so couldn't send the kids home with all of the ones they needed over Easter, I'm not particularly confident in the government's ability to provide everyone two tests a week! 

Looks like they're planning to use these as part of the "covid passport" scheme.  Inaccurate tests with self-reported results.  What could possibly go wrong...

• Paid Members
Just now, johnnyboy said:

Looks like they're planning to use these as part of the "covid passport" scheme.  Inaccurate tests with self-reported results.  What could possibly go wrong...

Lockdown 4 just in time for the summer weather? 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I don't get why they're so keen to get people back into the office. Well, aside from their friends that run transport companies losing money. Business are saving money in not having to worry as much about the cost of offices etc. 

The country, its economy, decades of different governments have all been based around millions of people working in offices up-and-down the country and that’s what the government needs the country to return to. It doesn’t have a plan for anything other than that.

If the new “normal” is the majority of people working from home, the economy isn’t geared up to handle that in terms of coffee shops, eateries, pubs, gyms, taxi companies, couriers, child minders etc being needed in smaller quantities, if at all. Even living in a less physically social way will almost certainly have a knock on effect for business that rely on people being in physical contact with each other. Pubs and bars will make a decent business out of people from the office stopping in on their way home, but will likely struggle to attract lots of people out of their homes on mass once the clock hits 5pm to replicate the same experience once they’ve become used to the comforts and convenience of home.

Projects like HS2 will rely on offices returning to normal to justify their existence (not that HS2 was doing a very good job of that anyway), and the government desire to “build build build” will struggle to justify they’re anything other than Keynesian attempts to create demand when new roads, rail lines, office and shared leisure space aren’t needed. Conservatism isn’t built around demand-side economics, so such policies will struggle to fit with the government’s own ideologies as much as they will the real world situation.

I look at friends who have kids that have grown up in the social media age and most are already primed for life at home, unable or unwilling to meet up outside with their friends. Most interaction seems to be online, and with a culture that would extend that beyond school, college and then university, I think it’s quite a worrying direction of travel.

London especially is built for the commuters and all the people around there. What is London without the business people? Tourists are never going to keep those businesses afloat by themselves. As said above - so many food places, coffee shops, pubs etc all rely on the daily footfall. 

On the flipside I see a lot more local businesses near me popping up and doing far better out of all of this.

• Paid Members

I understand the points about how people not returning to offices will destroy large sections of the service sector. But that line of thinking unsettles me. Isn't the point of capitalist economies that they bend and change by the will and needs of the people rather than the other way round? The idea that people should spend large chunks of their salary on commuting and make themselves miserable to keep cafes and bars in Canary Wharf or wherever open is fucking depressing. Business needs to adapt to the new way of life rather than just go back to the old way (which has now been proven to be incredibly fragile).

The bars, cafes and restaurants sprung up because that's where the business was, not the other way around. We've already had hundreds of independent businesses like that adapt via home deliveries and revised opening hours. Those that don't adapt will and should fail; that's capitalism at its core.

Also the Tory's landlord mates will be crying in to their coffees if no one returns to the office and there are a bunch of massive office buildings sat empty.