Just now, Chris B said:

Not ridiculous at all. That's one of the options. As much as anything, it's just that Christmas will mark a full year since I've seen any of them, which we've never done.

Yeah, that sucks. Hopefully something will work out for you all.

9 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

big turkey dinner, and it will be fucking massive.

"And these Turkeys are scared"

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been in the smaller of the two Tesco in Lincoln. Things were pretty much in stock apart from loo roll and pet food. Did see one guy at the till getting told by the checkout girl that he couldn't

I'll eventually work through all the messages but I'm safe. Thanks folks. I'm still an absolute mess but safe all the same. 

Posted Images

• Moderators
23 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Just been reading about a wedding that took place in Maine where 176 of the guests contracted COVID - seven of which ended up dying.

Not quite, the wedding was about 50 people, then half of them got it and spread it when they returned home leading to the 170+ cases.

Americans really are thick, aren’t they?

Some of the 328 million of them are yes.

• Paid Members

I'm not going to feel comfortable seeing families at Christmas no matter what restrictions are lifted beforehand. It just won't be the same meeting up with the worry that we could be contributing to the spread of the virus. I don't know what we're going to do yet but I would actually prefer the government to go for the tough love approach and insist on pretty restrictive measures staying in place as that would remove any awkwardness and guilt of disappointing family by not traveling to see them this year.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

I'm not going to feel comfortable seeing families at Christmas no matter what restrictions are lifted beforehand. It just won't be the same meeting up with the worry that we could be contributing to the spread of the virus. I don't know what we're going to do yet but I would actually prefer the government to go for the tough love approach and insist on pretty restrictive measures staying in place as that would remove any awkwardness and guilt of disappointing family by not traveling to see them this year.

Absolutely no chance Boris "Probably has too much coke and champagne for breakfast and ties a cracker around his bollocks at 10am and spends the rest of the day trying to get one of his cousins to pull it' Johnson will cancel Christmas. No way.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I think any tough love approach will be completely disregarded my a significant proportion of the population TBH. I think a detailed and specific set of guidance limiting contact might be more effective.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm hoping Nicola will do me a solid and ban me from going home this Christmas.  I work/live in the worst hit area of the country atm and only just last night did my mum ask me, again, what my plans were for Christmas.  I know she's not been following the rules properly and has been visiting my elderly gran, although she assures me she wears a mask and keeps her distance but I know how stubborn and difficult my gran can be.  We lost one of our colleagues a few months ago, he was in his early 50s and carrying a bit of weight but not massive by any means, he was the first person I knew personally that contracted it and the poor guy was dead within a month.  Although I had already been doing my best to follow the rules it was a proper wake up call for me.  I had to self-isolate last month because I was pinged by test and trace, my anxiety went through the roof that first week. Fuck taking any chances with this thing.

Edited by stumobir
  • Paid Members
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolutely no chance Boris "Probably has too much coke and champagne for breakfast and ties a cracker around his bollocks at 10am and spends the rest of the day trying to get one of his cousins to pull it' Johnson will cancel Christmas. No way.

Christmas will be cancelled, unless you go out in a field to shoot your own turkey. Then you can have Christmas with 30 of your nearest and dearest.

• Paid Members

I've lived away from some or all of my family for the last 20 years, so Christmas has long been a little bit of a non-event; actually, it started to feel more significant in the last 4 years, since my parents moved back to the UK, and I've been up to Yorkshire to see them. Before that, quite often they would go away at Christmas to see one of my brothers or the extended family, and I'd be working jobs that meant I was either working Christmas Day or until relatively late Christmas Eve and back in on Boxing Day or the 27th, so it was never viable for me to travel for Christmas. So I'm quite used to spending Christmas on my own, or with mates or a girlfriend, and then picking it back up with my parents a week or so later.

This year, I've already written off any chance of seeing my parents, and as I said earlier, I'm still not entirely confident that I'll see my girlfriend either. I've already revised my plans several times. If the pubs are closed, I don't know if I'll see my mates either. Even if I could make it up to see the family, there's too many of us for the whole lot to meet up together under current guidelines. 

I'm expecting we'll have a number of "mini-Christmases" next year, once things have started to calm down. I wouldn't be surprised if the government actively encourage it, maybe with an additional bank holiday thrown in. Could be quite fun to have big daft second Christmas at a completely arbitrary date. All watching Muppets Christmas Carol in the middle of July.

Thing is, even if all the restrictions are dropped for Christmas week and I'm allowed to get on a plane and go and see my girlfriend, drive up to my parents', see all the nieces and nephews and do everything I'd do normally, I wouldn't. Christmas is pretty good, but it's not as good as not giving my dear old Mum a serious illness.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Christmas will be cancelled, unless you go out in a field to shoot your own turkey. Then you can have Christmas with 30 of your nearest and dearest.

It's terrifically selfish, but I'm still looking forward to the Boxing Day clay shoot this year. One of the finest piss ups. 

39 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

As far as monikers go it’s not exactly Richard The Lionheart.

• Paid Members

I assume the real issue isn't so much "do we have restrictions at Christmas" as "do we have a national rule or go by the tiered/localised system."

"Follow the science" is not going to cut it when Boris Johnson's faced with the prospect of confirming Surrey households can meet up on Christmas Day but Lancashire ones can't.

Not going to make it home for the first time ever. 
we have a small family but Mum (who just got made redundant) will probably be spending Xmas alone which breaks my heart. 
Obviously not worth making her Ill but I know it’s going to be a struggle. My siblings who live local don’t seem to care.